Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,803,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I'm a little over half way through the book. However, since Dobyns wrote the book, I'm assuming he "made it back". Don't know yet whether his marriage survived or not.
I just called the library and put a hold on it. If it is a nice day tomorrow I will hop on the motorcycle and pick it up. It should be interesting.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,125,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I just called the library and put a hold on it. If it is a nice day tomorrow I will hop on the motorcycle and pick it up. It should be interesting.

GL2
I have no doubt that you'll like it. I'm looking for the Hunter Thompson book you mentioned. Those kinds of books are a fascinating peek into some of the warped minds of the world and how they think.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,971,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Redsoxfan - I also read Stephen King's 11/22/63 as I got it for Christmas. I like King's books that aren't heavy on horror. I started with Dead Zone and one summer years ago I read "IT" as he included many local landmarks in that. He is kind of a neighbor of mine, about 3 blocks away, and I see him out and about occasionally, usually alone in a restaurant reading a book. - lol - Nice guy, and so is Tabby his wife. They have done so much for this community. Much of it very quietly. They built a gorgeous pool that is run by the town and open to anyone. Before that they had a incredible ball field installed in one of our larger parks. It has underground sprinkle system and night lights. The Senior Little league World Championships are held here every August. Happy reading!
I actually met him at Fenway Park one day. I sat next to him for a game. He was very gracious.

I may have to read "It." It's on my list!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:48 PM

18,860 posts, read 11,491,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
The Short Stories of John Cheever. So far I've read The Five Forty-Eight, The Swimmer, and a couple of others.
One of my favorite short story collections of all time. The movie version of The Swimmer is so worth it with Burt Lancaster, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I've just started reading True Grit by Charles Portis. Here I thought I would be reading an oater. Instead, it's an incredibly funny and well-written book. The dialog is astoundingly good. Told from the perspective of Mattie, I can remember few books that do so well at getting inside the head of a character.
Absolutely! Unexpected, eh? I knew the John Wayne movie and that was it. Then I saw the recent remake of the movie and heard it was supposed to be more faithful to the tone of the book. Definitely a good read!

Just started my second Wilkie Collins story - The Moonstone. Same device as The Woman in White but still engaging (so far).

Old 03-01-2012, 04:53 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,981,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Pulitzer Prize winning book. Cheever really captured the human condition.

The Swimmer just about did me in. The ending was so unexpected. It is amazing how that story stays with me. The book is 34 years old and applies today just as it did back then.

It is a truly great book.
Agree with the above 100%.

The poor guy in The Swimmer is getting worse and worse as the story progresses. Haven't reached the end yet, but it must be a doozy (sp?)!

Oh, in my earlier post I should have typed that I read MOST of The Swimmer. Oops! :-)

Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,647,187 times
Finished Sweet Thursday last night. After that, Cannery Row, and The Winter of Our Discontent I think I may have a new favorite author. And I have a couple of other Steinbeck novels in cue next.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Finished Sweet Thursday last night. After that, Cannery Row, and The Winter of Our Discontent I think I may have a new favorite author. And I have a couple of other Steinbeck novels in cue next.
Ah Steinbeck. What a wonderful writer. His books always depressed me but were a good early warning about the sadness of the extremely poor and down trodden. The only other writer I really like of that genre is William Inge. He wrote some fabulous stuff and it was all just as sad as Steinbeck's. Bus Stop and Picnic come to mind. Great plays.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:02 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,646,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak?

That's one of my absolute favorite books. It knocked my socks off and made me cry like a newborn baby, especially at the end. Seriously, my husband asked me if I was going to be OK, I was sobbing and hiccuping and couldn't catch my breath.

Maybe this just isn't the right time. I often have that situation -- where I have to be in the right head space for a certain book and then wondered why I wasn't enjoying it the first time I tried to read it. I hope that you'll try again another time.
You're probably right. I'm not in the right frame of mind for this book. It's my daughter's absolute favorite book too and she is horrified that I didn't finish it. Maybe I'll give it another shot. The writing style is like nothing I've seen before and the story is very interesting. Okay, now I just talked myself into picking it up again....

Old 03-02-2012, 08:42 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
You're probably right. I'm not in the right frame of mind for this book. It's my daughter's absolute favorite book too and she is horrified that I didn't finish it. Maybe I'll give it another shot. The writing style is like nothing I've seen before and the story is very interesting. Okay, now I just talked myself into picking it up again....
Ha! Tell me your trick for getting into the right frame of mind so quickly, please!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Ah Steinbeck. What a wonderful writer. His books always depressed me but were a good early warning about the sadness of the extremely poor and down trodden. The only other writer I really like of that genre is William Inge. He wrote some fabulous stuff and it was all just as sad as Steinbeck's. Bus Stop and Picnic come to mind. Great plays.
Have you read any William Gay?

William Gay (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's been compared to Steinbeck with pretty good reason. The things of his I've read got under my skin and stayed there a long time. I saw from the link that he just died a few days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books