Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,646,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Ha! Tell me your trick for getting into the right frame of mind so quickly, please!
Not sure if I'm really in the right frame of mind for this book, but my daughter sure is making me feel guilty about abandoning it. I'm just a push-over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Not sure if I'm really in the right frame of mind for this book, but my daughter sure is making me feel guilty about abandoning it. I'm just a push-over!
Oh, no! Please don't read a book out of guilt. That's like feeling like you have to finish any book that you've purchased, out of guilt, because you've spent money on it.

Wait until you're in the right frame of mind for it. I beg of you... This book is worth that.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 PM

840 posts, read 777,110 times
Trying to finish Foreign Enemies and Traitors but it drags on so must take breaks from it. In between I have started If the South had won the civil war. Its an alternate history short story. Good so far.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:43 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Have you read any William Gay?

William Gay (author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's been compared to Steinbeck with pretty good reason. The things of his I've read got under my skin and stayed there a long time. I saw from the link that he just died a few days ago.
His name sure rings a bell but I checked to see what he has written and I have not read any of his works.

His books sound intriguing. Thanks so much for mentioning him.

Is there one that you would suggest I start with?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,648,252 times
I read this recently too... fascinating look inside the outlaw bikers. Sad and scary the way these folks operate...

Dobyns must thrive on the risky & dangerous...
he did indeed have a "harrowing" experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Currently reading No Angel: My Harrowing Undercover Journey To The Inner Circle Of The Hells Angels by Jay Dobyns. The world of the outlaw biker is a world of violence, criminality, drug trafficking/drug use, chauvinism, promiscuity, misogyny--everything your mama didn't want you to be when you grew up. Jay Dobyns, ATF agent, penetrates this world at great personal cost to himself. He must immerse himself so totally into the role of a "1%-er" it becomes more real to him than his life as a husband and father.

This is a gut-wrenching book, not only for the brutality of the outlaw biker world but for the pain that gripped me when he describes his encounters with children who have had the misfortune to be born into this world.

Very educational but not for the faint-of-heart.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 PM

840 posts, read 777,110 times
Yeah the Jay Dobyns book is awesome.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,981,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck. I had to temporarily give up on Absalom, Absalom!. I don't know why, but for some reason I simply could not get into it. I'd read a paragraph (or, should I say, a paragraph-long sentence?) and realize I hadn't paid any attention to what I read.
Didn't (William) Faulkner write like that, too?

Anyway, those run-on sentences/paragraphs are useless to me. They aren't "poetic" or "unique" or whatever. They are just plain boring and lazy - and make me wonder what drugs the writer(s) used.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,125,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I read this recently too... fascinating look inside the outlaw bikers. Sad and scary the way these folks operate...

Dobyns must thrive on the risky & dangerous...
he did indeed have a "harrowing" experience!
Finished the book last night. Left me.......drained, I guess is a good a word as any.

Wish Dobyns would do a sequel about what he went through "withdrawing" from that experience and returning to sanity. His wife must be some kind of great lady to have stayed with him. Her input into such a book would be interesting, too.

The most surprising thing I learned from the book was that the European Hells Angels organization is larger than the American one.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 03-03-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,647,187 times
Finally, I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath. I've been waiting for a copy to turn up at one of the used bookstores I frequent and it finally did. It's one of those books I probably should have read in high school, but late is better than never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Didn't (William) Faulkner write like that, too?

Anyway, those run-on sentences/paragraphs are useless to me. They aren't "poetic" or "unique" or whatever. They are just plain boring and lazy - and make me wonder what drugs the writer(s) used.
Actually, Faulkner was the one I'm referring to, though my post kind of makes it look like I meant Steinbeck. I do like Faulkner, a lot, but sometimes I'll finish a paragraph and have to stop to try to figure out what I just read. I can enjoy and appreciate stream of consciousness writing, but sometimes it's just too much for me. And sometimes Faulkner won't even be writing in stream of consciousness, but a character will have entire chapters of monologue and sentences may go on for half a paragraph or more. I find that tiring to read.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
I don't remember crying from a book since The Book Thief, but there ya go... Rules of Civility did it to me. Something about the love story got to me, even though I'm not one of your sappy romantics. Sigh...

Anyway, none of the other of my library Kindle choices is available to me yet, so I might start on the Edward St. Aubyn books next (yes, Ketabcha, I ordered the four-story book yesterday). But that's tomorrow. I need to breathe and release this dreamy book that I just finished before I start something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books