Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times

Advertisements

I did enjoy it - just not as passionate about it. I think I'm a little too introverted to have felt a connection with May. I think if I had made that connection with her, I would have definitely loved the book more and would keep it for a re-read. I liked a lot of the other characters so that helped. Just made it easier to not pick it up. I would definitely recommend it to others though so it's still a 4-star book at least! So no guilt feelings!!

I keep thinking about putting down The Girl Who Played With Fire and picking up A Prayer for Owen Meany. But I think I'll just save Owen for perhaps next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,323,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hmmmm. I'm sorry -- and a bit surprised -- that you didn't like One Thousand White Women as much as I thought you would (i.e. as much as I did). But thank you, though, for the reminder about The Wild Girl. I had meant to get that from the library, on my Kindle, but I had too many books on hold at the time and forgot about it. I just grabbed it this morning and will start in on it soon.

I loved 1000 white women, but was dissapointed with Wild Girl. . . . .

Finally read "The Human Experiment" by Jane Poynter. . . . .her account of her 2 years in Biosphere 2. . . . .Loved it!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,872,229 times
Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers by Franz Lidz

It's sort of a side-by-side comparison of the Collyers, NYC's infamous reclusive hoarding brothers and the author's paternal uncles. I picked up the Kindle edition for .99 on a Daily Deal. I've always been fascinated with the story of the Collyers and while this book isn't exactly an in-depth study, it is an interesting look at some of the reasons people go off the rails.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers by Franz Lidz

It's sort of a side-by-side comparison of the Collyers, NYC's infamous reclusive hoarding brothers and the author's paternal uncles. I picked up the Kindle edition for .99 on a Daily Deal. I've always been fascinated with the story of the Collyers and while this book isn't exactly an in-depth study, it is an interesting look at some of the reasons people go off the rails.
Funny, I saw that deal listed, too. I had already read about the Collyer brothers (the book by E.L. Doctorow) but it made me search who Franz Lidz is and I ended up ordering his memoir, Unstrung Heroes. I'll let you know if it's any good once I get it... and read it.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,647,187 times
‎"In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage."

I'm almost done with this book, and I can safely say it's one of my favorites. I'm actually glad I didn't read it in high school. I don't think I would have appreciated it enough.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM

220 posts, read 280,036 times
I know it seems everyone has been reading the Hunger Games trilogy lately, but here's my two cents on the first book, The Hunger Games. I really did enjoy it. I was (and still am) disconcerted by the premise of the Hunger Games, but there was definitely enough suspense to keep me reading. I really like the main character, Katniss. I'm going to download Catching Fire, the second book, tonight. However, when it comes to YA series, the Harry Potter books are definitely superior in my opinion. This book was definitely a nice diversion, though!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I know it seems everyone has been reading the Hunger Games trilogy lately, but here's my two cents on the first book, The Hunger Games. I really did enjoy it. I was (and still am) disconcerted by the premise of the Hunger Games, but there was definitely enough suspense to keep me reading. I really like the main character, Katniss. I'm going to download Catching Fire, the second book, tonight. However, when it comes to YA series, the Harry Potter books are definitely superior in my opinion. This book was definitely a nice diversion, though!
I certainly agree. When it comes to YA books it would be very difficult to top Harry Potter.

I liked The Hunger Games. It's such an unusual story line. I enjoyed all three books but the first one is the best, IMO. I liked the character Katniss, too. Kids are going nuts for this series and it looks like the movie is going to be SRO. I think it is so great that there have been some very popular YA books lately. They sure get the kids reading.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,085,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
‎"In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage."

I'm almost done with this book, and I can safely say it's one of my favorites. Km actually glad I didn't read it in high school. I don't think I would have appreciated it enough.
I felt the same way, Lamplighter, although I did read it in high school it wasn't until reading it as an adult that my heart broken with each new day of garduño.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,647,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I felt the same way, Lamplighter, although I did read it in high school it wasn't until reading it as an adult that my heart broken with each new day of garduño.
I finished it last night. In the last chapter when it's raining so much, and the water keeps rising and rising, while I was reading that it was raining pretty hard outside, and I could hear water trickling from the roof and running past my window. It certainly fit the mood!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:33 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,521,180 times
How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books