Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times

Advertisements

I'm thrilled that I didn't BUY The Cat's Table (by Michael Ondaatje) -- I got it from the library on my Kindle -- because that would have been a waste of money. I think I got about 40% through it before I just gave up.

All of the other books on my library list for the Kindle version see me fourth or sixth in the wait list. I have some paper books in my night table, but none of them felt appealing to me right now.

I'm going to start on The Stranger's Child (by Alan Hollinghurst) later. I got the Kindle version from the library. I'm not sure that it's my type of book -- and it's a long one and my brain is not operating in that mode right now -- but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,214,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm thrilled that I didn't BUY The Cat's Table (by Michael Ondaatje) -- I got it from the library on my Kindle -- because that would have been a waste of money. I think I got about 40% through it before I just gave up.

All of the other books on my library list for the Kindle version see me fourth or sixth in the wait list. I have some paper books in my night table, but none of them felt appealing to me right now.

I'm going to start on The Stranger's Child (by Alan Hollinghurst) later. I got the Kindle version from the library. I'm not sure that it's my type of book -- and it's a long one and my brain is not operating in that mode right now -- but we'll see.
Sorry you didn't like Cat's Table. I thought the characters were interesting. I have Stranger's Child. Only read a few pages, and it hasn't held my interest so far. I have too many others on deck.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Sorry you didn't like Cat's Table. I thought the characters were interesting. I have Stranger's Child. Only read a few pages, and it hasn't held my interest so far. I have too many others on deck.
So funny about The Stranger's Child. I'm not usually swayed by reviews -- either negative or positive -- but I read one page of the book and then read the reviews on Amazon. "Fluff" is the word that jumped out at me. And then I kept reading more of the reviews. I don't even think I'm going to bother reading beyond the first page now. It sounds quite soap opera-ish, which is not my thing. Good thing that I have a TON of work to do to keep me busy. But I prefer reading over work. Life sucks sometimes.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM

The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch. It's very dense and very British. We'll see how well I do with it with my limited brain capacity these days.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
I'm still mourning the fact that I've finished Rothfuss' two books - while I do have many unread books, I reread The Talisman by King and Straub. But even though I liked it when it first came out, I kept thinking it didn't remotely come close to Rothfuss' books.

Fortunately, spring has sprung and all my spring work is about to begin too, so if I can't read anything else just yet, I can at least get some work done.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Ondaatje's books are notorious for that Incidentally, everywhere I go, I keep seeing a book with something "dervish" in the title. There's a picture of a boy looking over his shoulder on the cover and I read a good review of it in the local paper. And every time I see that book I think that's a book you would like. Now why do I think that? I haven't felt in the least compelled to buy it for myself.

I'm sorry the title and the writer escapes me. I'm not even sure if the story is fiction or non-fiction. Do you know what book I'm talking about? Or am I just rambling?

Ah ha! found it! American Dervish - I really don't know why I think you might like it but it comes to mind every time I see it.

Last edited by netwit; 03-22-2012 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 03-22-2012, 09:06 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Yippee! Arthur and George sounds like a real winner. I just ordered it.

I'm so bad. It's not like I don't have anything to read. I have between 25-30 books waiting to be read but there are times when I'm not in the mood for a particular book and it seems this is a time when I'm not interested in about 25 of the ones I have.

I have an old biography of Ethel Kennedy that I want to read but I don't want to read it right now. Many others, too.

I am always reading a book. I'm never without one (or 30).

I have to switch gears and start chowing down on them.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,444,105 times
There's Something about St.Tropez by Elizabeth Adler. I'm having a hard time finding GOOD murder mystery novels/series. I dont care for murder mysteries with psychics or paranormal things.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Ondaatje's books are notorious for that Incidentally, everywhere I go, I keep seeing a book with something "dervish" in the title. There's a picture of a boy looking over his shoulder on the cover and I read a good review of it in the local paper. And every time I see that book I think that's a book you would like. Now why do I think that? I haven't felt in the least compelled to buy it for myself.

I'm sorry the title and the writer escapes me. I'm not even sure if the story is fiction or non-fiction. Do you know what book I'm talking about? Or am I just rambling?

Ah ha! found it! American Dervish - I really don't know why I think you might like it but it comes to mind every time I see it.
Funny, I've never been able to read Ondaatje's stuff but I just thought (and hoped) that this one would be different. It wasn't.

Ha! YAY! Thank you for thinking of me! That books looks to be totally up my alley. I just requested that my library get it on Kindle. Sometimes, though, they can't, due to the publisher's regulations, in which case I'll get it when it comes out in paperback.

I had never heard of that book, nor seen it, so now I'm super-excited and hoping that my library can get it so that I don't have to wait.

Thank you again for thinking of me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Yippee! Arthur and George sounds like a real winner. I just ordered it.

I'm so bad. It's not like I don't have anything to read. I have between 25-30 books waiting to be read but there are times when I'm not in the mood for a particular book and it seems this is a time when I'm not interested in about 25 of the ones I have.
That's my world. I have a bunch of books in my night table and on a shelf downstairs that I bought and haven't yet read. I have no interest in any of those right now, though -- I only want the ones that (a) I'm on the wait list for the Kindle version at the library and (b) I haven't bought yet.

I wonder if that means that the book I started last night -- the very dense, very British The Sea, The Sea -- is doomed to a quick end when something "better" comes along.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,125,960 times
Just finished Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman, the Hasidic Jewish girl who left the community after she reached young adulthood. Quite interesting to read about these closed communities and how they function internally. Most often, what it's really like to live in such communities is largely unknown to the outside world.

I'm just starting Escape by Carolyn Jessop who left the FLDS community and, after that, I'm going to read Infidel by Ayaan Ali.

Every time I read a story by someone raised in closed communities such as Hasidic Jewry or the FLDS, I am profoundly grateful to have been born to average, middle class, Baptist parents and to have attended public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books