Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times

Advertisements

Just finished "The End of Normal" by Stephanie Madoff Mack. It was compelling and I couldn't put it down. Now I am reading "Rescue" by Anita Shreve. It's better than watching TV but not by much. Hopefull I can get into something really good very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I just started The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just started The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.
I'm going to start it this week. Just finished Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. It was underwhelming to say the least.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm going to start it this week. Just finished Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. It was underwhelming to say the least.
That's how I felt about Brooklyn too.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
I'm currently half way through "Mortal Fear" by Greg Isle. Pretty good so far, holds my interest.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished reading For Laci by her mother, Sharon Rocha.

Laci Peterson and her unborn son were murdered by her husband, Scott Peterson. I think we all know that. It was all over the news.

This book is the story of who Laci was and how her family dealt with the loss of her. If one can say that a book about a murdered young woman is beautifully written then I'm here to say it.

Rocha takes us through Laci's early life. That is not the thrust of the book though the reader will like both Laci and her brother and mother. As a matter of fact nearly everyone in the book is very likeable with the exception of Scott and his parents. Oh, and his attorney who needs to be slapped over and over.

The story is very sad but uplifting, too. I read it in one day. Couldn't put it down. It kept calling to me.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished reading For Laci by her mother, Sharon Rocha.

Laci Peterson and her unborn son were murdered by her husband, Scott Peterson. I think we all know that. It was all over the news.

This book is the story of who Laci was and how her family dealt with the loss of her. If one can say that a book about a murdered young woman is beautifully written then I'm here to say it.

Rocha takes us through Laci's early life. That is not the thrust of the book though the reader will like both Laci and her brother and mother. As a matter of fact nearly everyone in the book is very likeable with the exception of Scott and his parents. Oh, and his attorney who needs to be slapped over and over.

The story is very sad but uplifting, too. I read it in one day. Couldn't put it down. It kept calling to me.
I read "Blood Brother: 33 Reasons Why My Brother, Scott Peterson, Is Guilty" by Ann Bird. Ann was one of 2 out-of-wedlock children born to Scott's mother, Jackie Peterson, who was given up for adoption before Scott was born. Ann Bird did not know who her birth mother was until she received a call from her brother also raised by adoptive parents. After she was reunited with the Peterson family, she became good friends with Laci and, to a lesser extent, with Scott. Over many months, Ann's growing suspicions about Scott's involvement with first, Laci's disappearance, and then her murder convinced Ann that Scott was the killer. She had a cordial relationship with her biological mother but her roots with her loving adoptive family remained her deepest family attachment. All things considered, I think she would just as soon never have been reunited with her birth mother and siblings.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
"Parrot & Olivier in America" by Peter Carey. Started off with a rather lumbering first chapter or two, but then picks up nicely, and become an fascinating read historically treating the era in the early 1800s. Carey is a very knowledgeable, incisive, wry and literary author.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM

152 posts, read 150,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished "The Confession" -- John Grishham which was a good read. Now moving on to "Digging to America" -- Anne Tyler, which someone here recommended. So far, so wonderful!

The Confession is a really good book. A sad book to since they killed the wrong man. If you like Grisham read his Stories from Ford County its a collection of short stories I really enjoyed. I also enjoyed The Firm and The street lawyer by him.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

414 posts, read 911,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
The Confession is a really good book. A sad book to since they killed the wrong man. If you like Grisham read his Stories from Ford County its a collection of short stories I really enjoyed. I also enjoyed The Firm and The street lawyer by him.
Nothing like ruining the suspense! LOL
Along these lines I would recommend The Lincoln Lawyer and then The Fifth Witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books