Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM

152 posts, read 149,975 times

Advertisements

Not all FLDS people are like that. I think of the sister wives show on TLC to show the other side of the FLDS type people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,858,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
Not all FLDS people are like that. I think of the sister wives show on TLC to show the other side of the FLDS type people.
I've watched that show a couple of times. It's... interesting in a "share your man" kind of way. I don't know if I admire them for being able to handle it or just find them nuts. Maybe a little of both.

Anyway, enough of you have talked about this book Escape already (I think Ketabcha mentioned it to me a year ago... possible? was it this book?), so I ordered it. I really do love peer pressure.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,900,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm reading Escape by Carolyn Jessop, recommended up thread. I'm liking it way more than I thought I would, to be honest. I'm usually a snob about writing and style and this book is not particularly well written, but her voice is honest and the story is very compelling.
I've read a few books about fundamentalist Mormon women escaping. They are all interesting. They operate like criminals when people have to flee secretly.

The big problem, as I see it, is that every state has different (or almost no) requirements for educating your children out of the public school system, so fundies can give people a very scanty education so they can hardly survive in the outside world. We have to have some standards to be met at each grade level and test home or private schooled children.

There are also a few similar books about Hasidic Jews. In Unchosen the author claims that she graduated their school for women and only tested as a fifth grade level.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,900,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
Ever hear of the Stockholm Syndrome? If you are not educating your young girls on a par with public schools most have to be resigned to their lot as breeders, no?

If women are educated well, then it is a choice, if not, there is little real choice.

I have no problem with mature adults making their own living arrangements. I do object to little children being pressured into thinking that a very limited environment is the ONLY way to live and to not equip these children so that they can make free choices later regarding their future.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM

7,305 posts, read 5,434,151 times
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Yes, I got sucked into the hype!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,002,123 times
About a month ago saw 3 movies on Hallmark channel with Tom Selleck playing the part of Jesse Stone, a chief of police in Paradise MA. Did research to find that the author, Robert B Parker wrote numerous novels and that nine were about Jesse Stone. [was working on the tenth when he passed away] Couldn't believe my luck that someone on Ebay had all nine as a package deal and really cheap. Finished reading the nineth book yesterday.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 PM

152 posts, read 149,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ever hear of the Stockholm Syndrome? If you are not educating your young girls on a par with public schools most have to be resigned to their lot as breeders, no?

If women are educated well, then it is a choice, if not, there is little real choice.

I have no problem with mature adults making their own living arrangements. I do object to little children being pressured into thinking that a very limited environment is the ONLY way to live and to not equip these children so that they can make free choices later regarding their future.
As do I. I think it should be left up to adults to make their choices leave kids out of it. It is sad though that the entire polygamist community is brushed with a wide brush simply because so many abuse children in this way.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
I can't remember if I have mentioned this book.....it might have even been yesterday.

It's an older nonfiction....1994, I think.

King of Cons by Aaron Tonken.

It might not sound like it is interesting but, truly, it is one of the most interesting, informative and entertaining book I have ever read.

It is about the con game when it comes to fund raising/Hollywood/DC.

OMG! I am not a naive person nor am I uninformed but the charity game is horrible. I will never see on TV a charity event with all the stars there without wondering which ones were paid BIG BUCKS to appear. I'm talking about some folks that I thought were above that. Nope. It's dirty. That bribe money comes right off the top of the gross for the charity. I cannot believe what some of those folks charge and demand as gifts just for showing their faces at an event. AND, I have not even started reading about the DC crowd.

There is a lot of Hollywood gossip that is delish.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,446,815 times
Right now Im reading Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Isabel Sharpe. Next I cant wait to read the latest Savannah Reid mystery.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,657,904 times
I'm in the middle of Harvest by Tess Gerritsen. Good read. Next up is The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor. Can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books