Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I finally finished Escape by Carolyn Jessop. If you want a peek into a fundamentalist, misogynist, polygamist, closed society, get this book and read it. It will blow your mind that this kind of abusive, under-the-radar society can exist in this country, right here under our very noses.

All I can say about it is, "I bow down and thank God that I was not born a female into the FLSD."

(Or a male either because countless young males have been arbitrarily excommunicated so there won't be so much competition for the available young females, many of whom are married off to the elder power holders in FLSD.)
She wrote a followup to that book: Triumph. It's good but not as good as Escape.

I think you would enjoy Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall, CB. It's along the same lines as Escape and both authors were pretty much in the same family.

I saw them both on Anderson Cooper. Two very brave ladies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
Not all FLDS people are like that. I think of the sister wives show on TLC to show the other side of the FLDS type people.
Except the Brown family makes it quite clear that they are not members of the FLDS.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserkr View Post
Not all FLDS people are like that. I think of the sister wives show on TLC to show the other side of the FLDS type people.
That they do and certainly no TV reality show would ever feature a family where children were beaten until they were bruised or had food withheld from them. The author had great praise for her father--also FLDS--and said he truly cared about the welfare of his wives and children. He helped her out a number of times because he was upset at the way she and her children were treated.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
She wrote a followup to that book: Triumph. It's good but not as good as Escape.

I think you would enjoy Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall, CB. It's along the same lines as Escape and both authors were pretty much in the same family.

I saw them both on Anderson Cooper. Two very brave ladies.
Thanks for the heads up, Ketabcha. I did not know that Carolyn Jessop had written a sequel to Escape. Will be looking for it.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
The Color of Water, by James McBride. This by far goes on the top of my list as one of the most interesting combination memior biographies I've ever come across. Not written in any poetic flow. I'm a third of the way in and am just stupified, awed, saddened, aghast and left with many more emotions as I read this story. What an education I'm getting from reading this. Many of the mother's actions strange, but with what I've read so far, I have to say, I'm still in awe of her.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,043 times
A Short Story of Nearly Everything.

I just love Bill Bryson and his writing style.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
The Color of Water, by James McBride. This by far goes on the top of my list as one of the most interesting combination memior biographies I've ever come across. Not written in any poetic flow. I'm a third of the way in and am just stupified, awed, saddened, aghast and left with many more emotions as I read this story. What an education I'm getting from reading this. Many of the mother's actions strange, but with what I've read so far, I have to say, I'm still in awe of her.
I read that book a while back and I really liked it. And yes, the mom really created her own reality, which ended up working for her and her family.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Girl in Translation - so good.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Girl in Translation - so good.
That's so weird... This is an older book that was on my "to read" list a long time ago, but fell off somehow. I just put it back on my list YESTERDAY... and now you're reading it.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default James Howard Kunstler's "The Witch of Hebron"

This is subtitled as "A World Made by Hand Novel" and it was the photo on the front cover that attracted me more than the title or the description on the back. (I've always had a penchant for old abandoned homes, and one of my fantasies is to travel the country exploring homes left behind -- sort of an extension of "the road not taken" maybe?)

Anyway, about a third way through I had to keep asking myself why didn't I just put this down and move on to the stack, but I just kept on reading. I am not sure what that says about the book, or about me.

It's supposed to be set in the future, after the oil is gone and there's no electricity (which I could never figure out, since there's still rivers and doesn't the author understand about hydroelectric dams -- but maybe it's me that doesn't understand).

As far as I can tell, modern literature is firmly rooted on characters that one never meets other than on the pages between two covers.

Some day I am going to try my hand at writing a novel about real people that are just trying to live their lives and don't do anything spectacularly stupid, but until then I guess I will just have to take what comes.

Apparently many like this guy, because this book was a sequel, and it has a sequel. I finished it, and won't go for either of the others. If you do, be sure and let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books