Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

I started on Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee and it's not doing it for me. It's like being in a noisy room and you can't tell who is talking but they are all talking at the top of their lungs. And I'm only up to page 14. The writer changes perspectives between people all the time. There are (so far) no quiet spaces in the writing. It strikes me as very amateurish.

I'm not sure I'll continue with this book. I pretty much hate the voice.

But The Sparrow, which I finished - I am still in awe and I ordered the sequel and saw the writer has written a couple of other books, historical books mostly, nothing to do with science fiction. I think that The Sparrow is exactly the kind of book for which the term speculative fiction is appropriate. I recommended it to hubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 AM

I haven't read this book but hubby thought highly enough of Amish Grace by Donald B. Kraybull, Steven M. Nolt and David L. Weaver-Zercher to read it twice.

It is the story of the Amish school shooting. I paged through it to get a sense of it, and it appears to be well-written and researched. Other than Nolt whom I am not sure of, judging by the last names the other two writers are of Old Order Mennonite or Amish background and all three are professors. To me that means there's actually a chance that they won't romanticize the Amish and will present a fairly straight forward view of Amish and Mennonite belief. That's what it looks like to me, paging through.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
i always switch books around:

how to read the air

the heretic's daughter

after this

Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I started on Free Food for Millionaires by Min Jin Lee and it's not doing it for me. It's like being in a noisy room and you can't tell who is talking but they are all talking at the top of their lungs. And I'm only up to page 14. The writer changes perspectives between people all the time. There are (so far) no quiet spaces in the writing. It strikes me as very amateurish.

I'm not sure I'll continue with this book. I pretty much hate the voice.
And the book is 592 pages so...

I was waiting to hear what you had to say about it. I did request for my library to get the Kindle version -- I haven't heard back yet -- and was going to buy it if the library didn't get it AND depending on what you said about it.

Hmmmm... I guess I won't bother.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
And the book is 592 pages so...

I was waiting to hear what you had to say about it. I did request for my library to get the Kindle version -- I haven't heard back yet -- and was going to buy it if the library didn't get it AND depending on what you said about it.

Hmmmm... I guess I won't bother.
What the writer does is switch points of view and characters in the same paragraph, sometimes from one line to the next. I was totally offended by that so I looked it up on Amazon. Reviewers did give it 4 stars but one of the reviews pointed out the same thing that bugged me so I figure if I loathe it so much at page 14, and if it continues with that style all the way through, I just won't bother. I think the same reviewer said the book would appeal to those who watch the Oxygen channel (?) - that sounds funny and bad, but I don't know what is on the Oxygen channel.

14 pages gave me a headache. But if you're still interested, I'll send you my copy!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What the writer does is switch points of view and characters in the same paragraph, sometimes from one line to the next. I was totally offended by that so I looked it up on Amazon. Reviewers did give it 4 stars but one of the reviews pointed out the same thing that bugged me so I figure if I loathe it so much at page 14, and if it continues with that style all the way through, I just won't bother. I think the same reviewer said the book would appeal to those who watch the Oxygen channel (?) - that sounds funny and bad, but I don't know what is on the Oxygen channel.

14 pages gave me a headache. But if you're still interested, I'll send you my copy!
I read that same review when you first told me about the book!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

And don't try pawn your crap off on me, lady!

Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I read that same review when you first told me about the book!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

And don't try pawn your crap off on me, lady!
It was worth a try!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
i always switch books around:

how to read the air

the heretic's daughter

after this
I loved the Heretic's Daughter.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default Voltaire's "Zadig, or The Book of Fate"

I decided I needed to put my mind on something less immediate than my job situation, or national politics so I sent the unread library books back to KCLS and picked one off my bookshelf: "The Complete Works of Voltaire" -- a massive tome that includes eight volumes of his works. You are more likely to see it in the lobby of an old-time, pretentious hotel, then on the shelf of a thoroughly modern woman like me.

Still, I picked it up in a used bookstore years ago because I am always coming across Voltaire quotes that I liked, so the complete works had to be interesting.

This was the first work in the book. I have to admit, 18th century stories are quite different than today's popular fiction, but I enjoyed it. After I read it, I went back to the Introduction to read more about this guy named Voltaire and discovered his life would make an interesting story all by itself. I gather that I would have gotten even more pleasure from the reading if I was informed about 18th century Parisian court and could appreciate the satire, but I am not, so I did not.

But, to Zadig. It's about a good man who tries hard to do good, and though he wins the favor of those he needs to please, others jealous of his successes plot against him and he finds himself facing turmoil and even death. I think it might've made a fantastic TV series in the 40s, had anyone thought to make it. The setting is supposedly ancient Babylon, and there are fantastic characters acting in ways that would've presented well in melodrama. Of course, today's reader and viewer is much to sophisticated for such nonsense.

That leaves me out, so I am continuing on to the next work. More on Voltaire, later.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
More like what books am I NOT reading!!!!

Couldn't get into the two latest books from two of my favorite authors: Lionel Shriver (The New Republic) and Joyce Carol Oates (Mudwoman).
Didn't care for the writing or the story. This really distresses me. I always look forward to their books. My only reassurance that I am not turning into a nonreader is that several reviewers on Amazon said they couldn't get into these books either even though they normally love these authors. Turns out that the New Republic was written before We Have To Talk About Kevin and not published---maybe it shouldn't have been trotted out now just because Shriver became so popular.

Did enjoy First You Try Everything by Jane McCafferty. Interesting book about a marriage that is falling apart and a wild scheme the wife uses to try to re-engage her husband. Well-written, engrossing characters, quirky and warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books