U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:26 AM
 
3,843 posts, read 1,683,194 times
Reputation: 10358

Advertisements

More like what books am I NOT reading!!!!

Couldn't get into the two latest books from two of my favorite authors: Lionel Shriver (The New Republic) and Joyce Carol Oates (Mudwoman).
Didn't care for the writing or the story. This really distresses me. I always look forward to their books. My only reassurance that I am not turning into a nonreader is that several reviewers on Amazon said they couldn't get into these books either even though they normally love these authors. Turns out that the New Republic was written before We Have To Talk About Kevin and not published---maybe it shouldn't have been trotted out now just because Shriver became so popular.

Did enjoy First You Try Everything by Jane McCafferty. Interesting book about a marriage that is falling apart and a wild scheme the wife uses to try to re-engage her husband. Well-written, engrossing characters, quirky and warm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,084,370 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
More like what books am I NOT reading!!!!

Couldn't get into the two latest books from two of my favorite authors: Lionel Shriver (The New Republic) and Joyce Carol Oates (Mudwoman).
Didn't care for the writing or the story. This really distresses me. I always look forward to their books. My only reassurance that I am not turning into a nonreader is that several reviewers on Amazon said they couldn't get into these books either even though they normally love these authors. Turns out that the New Republic was written before We Have To Talk About Kevin and not published---maybe it shouldn't have been trotted out now just because Shriver became so popular.

Did enjoy First You Try Everything by Jane McCafferty. Interesting book about a marriage that is falling apart and a wild scheme the wife uses to try to re-engage her husband. Well-written, engrossing characters, quirky and warm.
It's funny about Lionel Shriver... We Need to Talk About Kevin is the *only* book of hers that I finished. I absolutely LOVED it, so I had high hopes for the others. I even tried to read The Post-Birthday World TWICE. I couldn't get through it either time. She might be a one-hit wonder, but what a HUGE hit she had with Kevin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM
 
3,843 posts, read 1,683,194 times
Reputation: 10358
Dawn, did you try So Much For That by Shriver? Health care/insurance is a major issue for me, so that's one reason why I loved it, but I do think the book was quite readable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,084,370 times
Reputation: 28825
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Dawn, did you try So Much For That by Shriver? Health care/insurance is a major issue for me, so that's one reason why I loved it, but I do think the book was quite readable.
I just made a very big mistake. I looked up the book on Amazon, was going to buy myself a copy (because you said so ), clicked on the 1-star reviews accidentally, and saw a major spoiler.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 18,180,616 times
Reputation: 8884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished rereading Vincent Bugliosi's And the Sea Will Tell.

I knew how it ended because I followed the trial and have read the book before but I pick up things on second readings and I'm older now, too.

It's a good book and I think it is as good as his Helter Skelter.
I liked Bugliosi's book a lot, but I also read Ed Sander's The Family at least as much. Reading one did not detract from the other, but the perspective was different and you got a good 'feel' for the times his collection of kids came from. I really enjoyed The Family and would recommend it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 31,084,370 times
Reputation: 28825
I just finished The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. All I can say is WOW!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: North Central Illinois
6,738 posts, read 4,939,537 times
Reputation: 41376
Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Sugar Grove, IL
3,131 posts, read 11,194,637 times
Reputation: 1627
currently reading "A Journey for Revenge" by Tom Renk. He is a Sugar Grove resident and wrote this novel about a group of people who come together through a grief counseling group for those who lost people in the 9/11 destruction. They plot their revenge against Bin Laden. not too bad for a first effort!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
 
3,945 posts, read 6,071,283 times
Reputation: 4229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just finished The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. All I can say is WOW!
I read this, loved it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Canada
6,730 posts, read 8,065,905 times
Reputation: 9398
Well, I was drooling over a recipe book called India's 500 Best Recipes. I can hardly wait to try some of them. And I was cleaning out my bookshelf and finally found two of the books I had been looking for - Shantaram by Roberts and The Road by McCarthy.

Those were books I had been saving for a time when I could fully appreciate them. I don't know that I have all that time exactly, but after 14 pages of Free Food for Millionaires I need something good to get the bad taste out of my head. I had dabbled in one book or another but nothing was quite good enough to refresh my mental palate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top