U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM

8,875 posts, read 7,793,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
....after 14 pages of Free Food for Millionaires I need something good to get the bad taste out of my head.
The title alone sets 99% of my tummy roiling!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,429,253 times
Today's "Daily Kindle Deal" is A Night to Remember by Walter Lord. I'm between books. This is a short one. And to commemorate the sinking of the Titanic, I'll start this book tonight, and read about... the sinking of the Titanic.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 PM

12,408 posts, read 18,312,287 times
You people probably know, and my knowledge is sketchy, but I think Amazon had some sort of lawsuit against publisher for price fixing on ebooks and Amazon won, which means that the price of ebooks may now come down as publishers are being closely watched as to how they set pricing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I probably screwed something up here.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM

5,298 posts, read 7,914,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You people probably know, and my knowledge is sketchy, but I think Amazon had some sort of lawsuit against publisher for price fixing on ebooks and Amazon won, which means that the price of ebooks may now come down as publishers are being closely watched as to how they set pricing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I probably screwed something up here.
The lawsuit is against five publishers accused of price-fixing. Amazon is thrilled. We're following this lawsuit closely because the feds are suing Apple. Steve Jobs discussed this in his book. Knowing the details, I suspect they'll lose the suit against Apple. The joy of purchasing cheap books may be short-lived once Amazon drives everybody out and becomes a monopoly. See what happens to book prices if that happens. The NYT article explains the whole situation.
Clipi:
As soon as the Department of Justice announced Wednesday that it was suing five major publishers and Apple on price-fixing charges, and simultaneously settling with three of them, Amazon announced plans to push down prices on e-books. The price of some major titles could fall to $9.99 or less from $14.99, saving voracious readers a bundle.
But publishers and booksellers argue that any victory for consumers will be short-lived, and that the ultimate effect of the antitrust suit will be to exchange a perceived monopoly for a real one. Amazon, already the dominant force in the industry, will hold all the cards.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/12/bu...gewanted=print

DOJ is likely to lose e-book antitrust suit targeting Apple | Politics and Law - CNET News

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM

15,895 posts, read 17,382,648 times
I just finished What really happened to the class of '65?
by Michael Medved and David Wallechinsky.

The book was published in 1976. I read it when it first came out. It's about the '65 senior class of Palisades High School in Los Angeles. These kids were from extremely wealthy families.

I graduated from high school in '65, too, so the book was of interest to me. This second go around was an entirely different experience for me. I'm in my 60s now and so are the folks in the book. I wondered as I read what had happened to these folks from 1976 to now. I was able to locate a few of them on the Internet. Many of them played out their lives as they expected to. I know that I did, too.

It's still interesting to read the things that were going on in those years from '65 to '76 and the turmoil in the world.

All in all, the second reading was as good as the first.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 31,429,253 times
Weird timing. I just read an article in The New York Times -- not in the Book Review section, however -- about The Red Book. The Red Book is the Harvard tome, where everyone tells where they are *now* ("now" being the current year of The Red Book).

Now, of course, there's a novel about some fictitious people who graduated from Harvard. The intro for each of them is done in Harvard Red Book format and guess what it's called!!!

Amazon.com: The Red Book (9781401340827): Deborah Copaken Kogan: Books

I won't read it -- it's not my thing -- but I thought the timing of my finding out about this and your recent read was spooky (in a good way).

Old 04-15-2012, 03:11 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,914,804 times
I'm currently reading:
Lost Kingdom by Julia Flynn Siler - Hawaii is the only American state formerly a sovereign monarchy. Siler recounts how the U.S. overthrew the last Hawaiiian queen and annexed Hawaii. I've only read fifty pages, but so far it's fascinating.

Watergate by Thomas Mallon - Historical fiction retells the story of Watergate. Very entertaining. I'd forgotten some of the characters, but Mallon brings them back to life.

Laurel Canyon by Michael Walker - Many of the baby boom's leading musical figures resided in Laurel Canyon in the 60's and 70's, and the author tells some of their stories.

Lately, I'm reading more non-fiction.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:14 AM

83 posts, read 116,743 times
The book I am currently reading is The Angel's Command by Brian Jacques. Really enjoying it so far

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM

460 posts, read 751,272 times
The Orphan Master's Son - absolutely fantastic!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,766,506 times
I'm on the second book of the Nantucket series Against the Tide of Years. It's a book about the island of Nantucket (and obviously its inhabitants), being thrust back in time to the same location, but 3200 years previously. It's not a bad read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books