Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I don't know what is going on with me. I have between 20-30 new books to read and yet I keep going back to those I read years ago.

Right now I am rereading It's Always Something by Gilda Radner. It's not that I am rereading books that make me laugh. There was nothing funny about the Ted Bundy books I recently reread.

I've decided to just go with the flow and read what my mind tells me to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I don't know what is going on with me. I have between 20-30 new books to read and yet I keep going back to those I read years ago.

Right now I am rereading It's Always Something by Gilda Radner. It's not that I am rereading books that make me laugh. There was nothing funny about the Ted Bundy books I recently reread.

I've decided to just go with the flow and read what my mind tells me to read.
You're not alone - I do that ALL the time. I've got books on my shelves at home that are falling apart cause I've re-re-re-read them. Right now I'm going thro the Falco series once more.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Well... Time and Again was not working for me. I was able to get past my dislike for time travel (after all, I had read and loved The Time Traveler's Wife) but by page 102, when I thought, "Just under 300 pages to go!," I knew it was over for me. I guess that I was hoping that it would be like Forever by Pete Hamill (just in reverse) but it wasn't. The details (and some of the dialogue) just felt so heavy-handed (why is Rube so angry sometimes?!) that it started feeling like a chore. That means it's time to end the pain.

I'm going to read some real crime by Dominick Dunne (Amazon.com: Fatal Charms and Other Tales of Today/The Mansions of Limbo (Omnibus) (9780345430595): Dominick Dunne: Books) until some of my other books get delivered or Kindle-available at the library.
I have Time and Again but I couldn't remember anything about it. When you posted about the book, I looked it up, and then I remembered why I couldn't get into it - the pictures. I don't understand why the book would have pictures.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have Time and Again but I couldn't remember anything about it. When you posted about the book, I looked it up, and then I remembered why I couldn't get into it - the pictures. I don't understand why the book would have pictures.
I think it's because the main character is an artist and he was also so interested in his girlfriend's old pictures on the stereoscope.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Just got through an uncomfortable story to read, but very worthwhile. The New Kid, by Eliot Schrefer. Took me a few minutes to calm my crying to write this. Such a very sad but telling story on human development. Just makes me wish I could protect all the children in the world at every moment. The book may be a work of fiction, but it's themes are many a kid's real life story, I know.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM

428 posts, read 900,434 times
Im currently reading the latest book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward.... LOVE these books and also waiting the next Sookie Stackhouse series book that comes out in May by Charlaine Harris...

Old 04-18-2012, 11:55 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times
Am currently reading Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimes: On (Not) Getting By In America". It actually had me laughing so hard I was crying at one point, where she talking about working at Wal-Mart & how her "devil" side started to show through & how she hated it. I worked at Wal-Mart for almost 4 years. I've worked in retail/customer service with every job I have had. And so I can relate to her tales of working in customer service & retail. It's hysterical.

I'm also reading L.J. Smith's "Vampire Diaries: Shadow Souls" on my nook. Not bad but the TV show is a total 180* from the books. They pretty much share the name & the characters names. But I figure I am this far (on the 6th book out of 9 current books) that I have to finish it.

I also keep going back & forth to Heather Graham's "Picture Me Dead". I'm only on page 50 but so far it's just not grabbing me. I may just push it aside & start another instead. But I hate starting a book & not finishing it.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
I finished "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, the Somali woman who sought asylum in The Netherlands rather than be married off to a man she barely knew and was eventually elected to the Dutch Parliament. She was a devout Muslim until she was exposed to the open society of Europe and began to think for herself. Extremely interesting and I love reading memoirs that have a good story to tell.

Now reading "Triumph" by Carolyn Jessop, the FLDS woman who told the story of her escape from the cult in "Escape". Not as interesting as her first book but still a decent followup to the first book.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Just finished the first book in the Shades of Grey series...I had to go out and buy more AA batteries

Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Just finished the first book in the Shades of Grey series...I had to go out and buy more AA batteries
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books