Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
HAHAHA!!! I'm not NEARLY as terrific as you're making me sound, but I'm completely thrilled that you're able to read your Kindle books now. YAY!!!!!
You both are!
For some reason, I keep putting off getting a Kindle. My husband wants to get me one for my birthday or anniversary, and I always tell him not to, because I love physical books so much. Also, I hate change for the most part! It's silly because I could still read both.

K, how are you liking yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
You both are!
For some reason, I keep putting off getting a Kindle. My husband wants to get me one for my birthday or anniversary, and I always tell him not to, because I love physical books so much. Also, I hate change for the most part! It's silly because I could still read both.

Get one, get one! I fought it for a long time, too. And then returned the first one that I got because I hated it. But then, when my library announced that they'd lend Kindle books, I jumped back on board. I'm so happy that I did because sometimes there's a book available at the library, on Kindle, that I was wishy-washy about buying... so I borrow it. And then, when/if I determine that I hate it -- even if it's only 10 pages in -- I just return it, all happily proud of myself that I didn't blow $10 to read just 10 pages of it.

I still read paper books. The library doesn't have everything that I want to read on Kindle. So I borrow some books on Kindle, buy used books for a penny (plus shipping) for paper books on Amazon, and sometimes splurge for a new paperback or hardback. It's the best of both (all) worlds.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Get one, get one! I fought it for a long time, too. And then returned the first one that I got because I hated it. But then, when my library announced that they'd lend Kindle books, I jumped back on board. I'm so happy that I did because sometimes there's a book available at the library, on Kindle, that I was wishy-washy about buying... so I borrow it. And then, when/if I determine that I hate it -- even if it's only 10 pages in -- I just return it, all happily proud of myself that I didn't blow $10 to read just 10 pages of it.

I still read paper books. The library doesn't have everything that I want to read on Kindle. So I borrow some books on Kindle, buy used books for a penny (plus shipping) for paper books on Amazon, and sometimes splurge for a new paperback or hardback. It's the best of both (all) worlds.
My new computer has "blio" which I discovered is a an electronic book downloading site, presumably unique to HP computers (?). I browsed but it seems that the books are limited to Danielle Steele type books. Not a great selection.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
You both are!

Get one, Jess. You know how much I love books and I love to feel the paper and smell the ink. Kindle is wonderful and I plan on using it for free books. Dawn helped me with two book downloads. It's just great to have two forms of reading.

The download for those without WiFi is a bit more complicated as compared to those with WiFi but it can be done.

Go for it, particularly since your hubby is paying.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:36 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
DD grabbed all the books on one of my bookshelfs and I just put them back without looking which volume comes next. I was 70 pages deep in A Feast for Crows before I saw that I was reading book 4 of the Fire and Ice series instead of volume two

So now I need to get into A Clash of Kings.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Well, I finished the very clever, very sweet Ella Minnow Pea this morning. It reminded me, in a few ways, of Come, Thou Tortoise (by Jessica Grant), which was truly one of my favorite books. If anyone wants to read a true original -- in its story, in its telling, in its charm -- then read Come, Thou Tortoise. Trust me.

So, I'm going from sweet and smart to ghoulish and gruesome -- next up is In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I left the book I was reading (Running the Books) at work over the weekend so I started Catching Fire, the second installment of The Hunger Games series. Sometimes it feels rushed, like the author was thinking of the movie screenplay while she was writing, but it's an interesting tale of good versus evil.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I was so taken with The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell that I ordered Children of God, a sequel to it. I put aside Shantaram since Children of God was shorter and I wasn't very far along in Shantaram.

I finished Children of God yesterday so back to Shantaram. I must say that The Sparrow read more like literature - it seems to me that so much was implied or approached obliquely; it read less 'obvious' - and I think I was more taken with it than with Children of God, although it is a wonderful book too.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
I just now finished Defending Jacob (very good) and am looking at an advanced reader's copy of You Don't Want to Know by Lisa Jackson. This will be the first paper book I have read in years...can't read it on my Kindle as it is not due for publication until August.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Am reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

I really enjoy Murakami's writing... mystical, enchanting and surreal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I was so taken with The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell that I ordered Children of God, a sequel to it. I put aside Shantaram since Children of God was shorter and I wasn't very far along in Shantaram.

I finished Children of God yesterday so back to Shantaram. I must say that The Sparrow read more like literature - it seems to me that so much was implied or approached obliquely; it read less 'obvious' - and I think I was more taken with it than with Children of God, although it is a wonderful book too.
I really enjoyed Shantaram... its meant to be made into a movie, but not sure what happened with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books