Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

History of a Pleasure Seeker by Richard Mason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Default Cara Hoffman's "So Much Pretty"

This is one of those "inside/out, upside/down" books that start in several places at once, from a variety of perspectives, so by the time I'd read roughly 1/3rd of the book I was feeling a bit queasy and un-nerved.

By the time I finished I felt completely disassembled and reconstructed, a bit dazed and confused, and wondered if I would ever read another book this worthwhile, again.

No bad guys/gals, but a book full of people that took so many wrong turns, even when they thought they were on the right road, that it could not help but feel like too much real.

I'm left feeling slightly like having had an "out of mind" experience.

I am going to recommend it to everyone I know that has a shred of humanity left in them.

Go reserve this book, now. Or, download it: direct from the publisher.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
This is one of those "inside/out, upside/down" books that start in several places at once, from a variety of perspectives, so by the time I'd read roughly 1/3rd of the book I was feeling a bit queasy and un-nerved.

By the time I finished I felt completely disassembled and reconstructed, a bit dazed and confused, and wondered if I would ever read another book this worthwhile, again.

No bad guys/gals, but a book full of people that took so many wrong turns, even when they thought they were on the right road, that it could not help but feel like too much real.

I'm left feeling slightly like having had an "out of mind" experience.

I am going to recommend it to everyone I know that has a shred of humanity left in them.

Go reserve this book, now. Or, download it: direct from the publisher.
I just asked my library if they could get it on Kindle for loaning. If not, I'll buy it. Or ask my friend who works at S&S to send me a copy. In way or another, I'll read this based on your glowing recommendation.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:18 AM

398 posts, read 698,268 times
Just finished Promises to Keep, my first Charles deLint fantasy book. I did NOT like it and I am so disappointed - I've heard such great things about him.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
UGH! Just started reading Signs of Life by Natalie Taylor. The first page explains that this is not a retelling of the time period; the story is taken verbatim from the journals that she kept at the time.

With no back story to these people and the journal style of writing (no telling who all these people are, what makes them tick, etc...), there's no connection. They're so FLAT. It's a terrible tragedy that she lost her 27-year-old husband in an accident, but I don't feel engaged in the story; there are no warm and fuzzies.

I got to 14% (Kindle-speak) and that's it. I'm not spending more time on this.

I'll decide, later, which book I'll start on tonight. It's between these:

22 Britannia Road
History of a Pleasure Seeker
The Beginner's Goodbye
State of Wonder (which I doubt I'll ever read -- I have the book but am not at all interested in the story)
Oh my that was a wonderful book dawn and I just read it months ago and I loved it however if you are interested in a trade for that book I have one about dogs that you would love are you interested in a trade ? get back with me . This is your old adorable phonelady61 . You remember me dont you ?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh my that was a wonderful book dawn and I just read it months ago and I loved it however if you are interested in a trade for that book I have one about dogs that you would love are you interested in a trade ? get back with me . This is your old adorable phonelady61 . You remember me dont you ?
Of course I remember you! I sent you a tote bag!

I don't read stories about dogs -- they're always so sad, even when they're meant to be happy -- and besides, I borrowed Signs of Life from the library, on my Kindle, so I don't even have it to send to you. I'm assuming that's the book that you're talking about...

ETA: Oh! Maybe you were talking about State of Wonder? I borrowed that from the library too, so it's not really mine.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM

I got like 4 or 5 book reccomendations yesterday in the mail from a friend so here goes :
22 Britannia Road (awesome read ) , The street sweeper , The violets of March , When we were strangers , The little russian , One I have already read was "The Fox's walk " by annabell davis -goff . I cannot wait to read the britannia road and the street sweeper ( according to my friend both are awesome reads and you almost cant put them down from page one . Well Im looking forward to reading all of these and will come back with reviews when I do .. I have been away so long have been dealing with some medical issues and disability so all is well that starts well and God is looking out for me and by me everyday . I am so blessed .

Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Of course I remember you! I sent you a tote bag!

I don't read stories about dogs -- they're always so sad, even when they're meant to be happy -- and besides, I borrowed Signs of Life from the library, on my Kindle, so I don't even have it to send to you. I'm assuming that's the book that you're talking about...

ETA: Oh! Maybe you were talking about State of Wonder? I borrowed that from the library too, so it's not really mine.
yes state of wonder and oh okay that is fine i just thought maybe you were looking to rid yourself of some books . Yes you did send me a tote bag how silly am I my goodness im getting old and senile and I will deny I ever said that LOL !!!

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM

So if anyone is interested in a dog book about how they think they are welcome to this one . send me a pm if you are and if you have a book I might be interested in . thanks and smile .

Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yes state of wonder and oh okay that is fine i just thought maybe you were looking to rid yourself of some books . Yes you did send me a tote bag how silly am I my goodness im getting old and senile and I will deny I ever said that LOL !!!
LOL!!!! Nah, you're not getting older, you're getting better!

PS. I hope you're feeling better and that whatever ails you goes away soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books