Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Thanks dawn , Okay has anyone read this book and if so what did you think about it ?Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children i have it on my hold list at the library and was just wondering what anyone thought of it ? Thanks in advance for your opinions .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Thanks dawn , Okay has anyone read this book and if so what did you think about it ?Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children i have it on my hold list at the library and was just wondering what anyone thought of it ? Thanks in advance for your opinions .
I started it, but never finished it. Wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
This is one of those "inside/out, upside/down" books that start in several places at once, from a variety of perspectives, so by the time I'd read roughly 1/3rd of the book I was feeling a bit queasy and un-nerved.

By the time I finished I felt completely disassembled and reconstructed, a bit dazed and confused, and wondered if I would ever read another book this worthwhile, again.

No bad guys/gals, but a book full of people that took so many wrong turns, even when they thought they were on the right road, that it could not help but feel like too much real.

I'm left feeling slightly like having had an "out of mind" experience.

I am going to recommend it to everyone I know that has a shred of humanity left in them.

Go reserve this book, now. Or, download it: direct from the publisher.

Your remarks and the reviews on amazon MADE me buy this book. LOL
It sounds like a remarkable book. I downloaded it to my Kindle and it's ready to be read. Thank you for telling us about it.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:27 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Just finished Promises to Keep, my first Charles deLint fantasy book. I did NOT like it and I am so disappointed - I've heard such great things about him.
That's the wrong book of de Lint's to read first as he has characters in it that are characters and therefore more fully explained in other books. Try The Onion Girl and Widdershins. I read them when they first came out so it's been a while but I think The Onion Girl was the better one.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I downloaded it to my Kindle and it's ready to be read.
This sentence makes me grin ear to ear.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I finished Nomad by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She has so much insight into Islam and the mind conditioned by it. Although she now lives in the US, apparently she still has to have guards because she is a Muslim apostate and has spoken and written so much that is considered blasphemy.
Yes. It's a strange religion that calls for murder of those who break away. Primitive.

I have her book somewhere and have not read it yet.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

I just finished History of a Pleasure Seeker. That was a pretty terrific book. In some ways it reminded me a bit of The Talented Mr. Ripley, or at least the main character did. There's a sequel coming, but who knows how far off that is.

Next up: I'm not sure. I have a bunch more on my Kindle, the second part of the Dominick Dunne "stories" on my night table, and a few books in the mail to me. Choices, choices.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM

28 posts, read 28,391 times
Default Oscar Zeta Acosta (muse for Hunter S Thompson)

I'm about to read The Revolt of the Cockroach People by Oscar Zeta Acosta. It has a forward by Hunter S Thompson. In Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S Thompson, the Samoan character is based on Acosta, who was in real life a Mexican-American attorney and activist of the 60's. He was Thompson's muse for his "Dr. Gonzo". Acosta went to Mexico in the spring of 1974 and disappeared. I don't know if I'll like this book. I hope so. I never read Fear and Loathing, but I saw the film version. I didn't like it. I just found it too creepy. I don't know, maybe I missed something, but I was relieved when it was over. I'll see how this goes...

Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
I just finished listening (into audio books as well as reading real ones) Carol Burnette's This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection. She reads it on the audiobook and has a nice way and brought back memories of some funny programs I watched as a kid. In fact, I ordered a few dvds from my library of them.

I'm also listening to Judy Collins autobiography, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes (but I am a bit bored of it), and I have nearly finished Kirk Douglas's Let's Face It.

As far as book to read, I finished a few this week, nothing memorable but I am reading To Kill A Mockingbird with my teen son.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I have just started The Killing of Lincoln by O'reilly. So far I have only read about 10 pages so don't have an opinion.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books