Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I've given up on Stoner by John Williams. Perhaps it is my state of mind but the book is too depressing for me right now. I might return to it at some point of time in the future.

I've started Welcome to Higby by Mark Dunn and I'm smiling a lot. It is a mix of Fried Green Tomatoes with a bit of Olive Kitteridge tossed in. So far I like it.

I seem to be having problems sticking with a book and that is not like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
well Im headed to the library to pick up some books hopefully I will like this batch better than the last . The last actual good book I read was "never give up " by Joyce meyer . I did enjoy that one . i also own a book by her called battlefield of the mind which is also a good one . well anyway I will come back and give a review when i read these Im picking up today . take care all . Also has anyone read DOC by Mary Doria Russell ? it is supposed to be really good .

Old 05-07-2012, 11:41 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The last actual good book I read was "never give up " by Joyce meyer . I did enjoy that one . i also own a book by her called battlefield of the mind which is also a good one .
I loved Battlefield of the Mind. I read it years ago and found it life-changing.

I just started reading Some Girls: My Life in a Harem by Jillian Lauren. I'm only 60 pages into it and I can hardly put it down. It's a memoir about a girl from a nice, middle class family becoming a call girl.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post

I just started reading Some Girls: My Life in a Harem by Jillian Lauren. I'm only 60 pages into it and I can hardly put it down. It's a memoir about a girl from a nice, middle class family becoming a call girl.
I was surprised I enjoyed that book so much. I didn't expect to.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Calling all the ladies here and you know who you are , you must get your hands on a book titled "The bungalow " by sarah Jio . Man is that ever a good book and wow wee did it wow me . I almost could not put it down and as far as I go . I can a read a small book in a day or two , yes I read that much . Yes I know i lead a dull life LOL !!! but all kidding aside gals get your hands on this book . wow about time i hit a good one . Hope this helps .

Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well Im headed to the library to pick up some books hopefully I will like this batch better than the last . The last actual good book I read was "never give up " by Joyce meyer . I did enjoy that one . i also own a book by her called battlefield of the mind which is also a good one . well anyway I will come back and give a review when i read these Im picking up today . take care all . Also has anyone read DOC by Mary Doria Russell ? it is supposed to be really good .
This book Doc by Mary Doria Russell I have not read yet but I want to because she is a terrific writer. I read The Sparrow by her, and Children of God and The Sparrow in particular was fantastic. I think anything by her would be well worth reading.

Last edited by netwit; 05-08-2012 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,015 times
Oh i have read "The kite Runner" itz good. Currently am reading the novel named "Dear John" till now i really liked it. hope it turn best till the end.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simranz View Post
Oh i have read "The kite Runner" itz good. Currently am reading the novel named "Dear John" till now i really liked it. hope it turn best till the end.
Oh wow dear john is a fab book but the movie stunk of course !!!but the book is awesome /

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Anil's Ghost, by Michael Odaatje. Just finished, and not really sure what to say about it. It had an odd way of of just abandoning the story, and steering along a whole new track, and then another one, kind of like listening to the reminiscences of an old man who forgot what he started to tell you about. But Odaatje is a skilled and gifted writer, and it is interesting to read a story about modern Sri Lanka.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Well I just heard of a great book and my cousin is reading it and i put it on hold at my library it is titled "In the the garden of beasts " she says so far she is liking it ,and usually what she likes to read I like too so Im going to give it a go and I will come back here and let you all know . Im also picking up Doc today by Mary Doria Russell so I will let you all know about that one too . take care all and have fun .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books