Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM

467 posts, read 1,188,811 times

Advertisements

91% through We Need To Talk About Kevin on my Kindle. Good character study, and hopelessly trying to finish it before it's released on DVD (end of May).

Just really busy with life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished Leap of Faith by Queen Noor of Jordan.
Interesting book but I certainly disagree with her views on Israel. That's no big shocker.

Now I am starting The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I'm already laughing on page one.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Interesting book but I certainly disagree with her views on Israel. That's no big shocker.

Now I am starting The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. I'm already laughing on page one.
and yes she is the former Lisa Hallaby of the united states and a former beauty queen . but I would like to read this book .

Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
I've started Welcome to Higby by Mark Dunn and I'm smiling a lot. It is a mix of Fried Green Tomatoes with a bit of Olive Kitteridge tossed in. So far I like it.
Our library didn't have "Higby" but there were others of his, which are now on my list to read.... 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
...you must get your hands on a book titled "The bungalow " by sarah Jio . Man is that ever a good book and wow wee did it wow me . I almost could not put it down and as far as I go
I searched on the title (missed your reference to the author) and never figured I would reserve a Nancy Drew mystery, but with your recommend I figured: "What the heck!" and reserved it. Came back and saw your author listed -- and now BOTH are reserved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
.... The Sparrow in particular was fantastic.
Reserved. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Anil's Ghost, by Michael Odaatje... not really sure what to say about it. ..But Odaatje is a skilled and gifted writer, and it is interesting to read a story about modern Sri Lanka.
I was trying to recall why that author sounded so familiar, and then saw that he wrote "The English Patient." I loved that one. Reserved "Anil's Ghost."

Quote:
I'm a fan of Maeve Binchey and I found one of her books yesterday that I have not read. ...This Year It Will Be Different. It's a delightful book. The thing I really like about her books, other than the wonderful writing style is that no matter how awful things seem they always turn out well.
I agree. I love her works. The library didn't have this one, but I did find several that I've missed along the way, and they are now on MY List.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
...sometimes I think Im the only reason my library is in exsistance because everytime I go there no one is there . I mean no one .
When we traveled the country we visited the libraries in every town we stopped and it became a way of measuring the community. Some just were thriving beyond expectations, and others were ignored and depressing.

You have so many great recommendations... have you ever thought of starting a community reading event? I think that would be a fun idea. Open it to all ages. With summer starting, the schools are generally giving kids reading lists -- you might enlist the parents to show a good example?

Quote:
I've always intended to read Sherman, and have not yet. This might be a great place to change that! Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:14 AM

28 posts, read 28,391 times
I've never heard of Stoner or John Williams, so I checked for comments on Goodreads. Some folks apparently find it too much a downer, although someone wrote "gorgeous writing". I'm intrigued. All copies are out at the library, so I've put in a request to hold for me as soon as available. I also read some info on Williams on Wiki just to get started on learning about him. What I read there also increases my interest, since he also wrote poetry. Unfortunately, the library doesn't have his poetry.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 AM

28 posts, read 28,391 times
Default Sherman Alexie

Quote:

Sherman Alexie is one of my favorite writers. His genius is that he can write about the most tragic circumstances undercutting it with humor. He combines poignancy with humor. I love his work.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:54 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,408 times
I'm currently reading The Host by Meyer. I'm finding it, not very, captivating. To the point, I managed to reach page 150, and now I just want to start reading something else. But I always finish what I start... so... gotta push through it... ehhhhhhhhhhh

Old 05-12-2012, 12:20 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
How to Eat to Live- Elijah Muhammad

Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I'm currently reading The Host by Meyer. I'm finding it, not very, captivating. To the point, I managed to reach page 150, and now I just want to start reading something else. But I always finish what I start... so... gotta push through it... ehhhhhhhhhhh
I read it a few years ago. It's an odd book but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It is not "captivating" like her other books are but I still enjoyed it.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:27 PM

I am in hysterics in a good way.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is just a pure delight. This author has the gift, fellow readers. The gift of humor. Horrible things happen to this kid and yet every incident is explained in a truly funny light. I love it. It's semiautobiographical and it makes me feel so good and I really needed something that makes me laugh right now. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books