Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 PM

103 posts, read 80,064 times

Advertisements

The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read it a few years ago. It's an odd book but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. It is not "captivating" like her other books are but I still enjoyed it.
Glad to hear that. I have read reviews that it is overall a good story, but I'm just finding it to not be a smooth read. But I am curious what will happen in the next 450 pages.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
I was so wrapped up in all the great recommends earlier that I completely forgot to post my reading report!

Feast Day of Fools, James Lee Burke
Normally I try to read a book that I start, unless it just seems like a complete waste of time. (It happens more often these days than it did before. Maybe I am not being discerning enough?) Anyway, as much as I love James Lee Burke's writing -- and this one started beautifully -- I just could not continue for the content. I don't know why so many authors need to make their bad guys so evil. Gratuitous violence and gore is just not something I want to spend time with. After wading through a grizzly scene I hoped that it would be over, but when the evil doer came back into the plot, the tension was so great I knew it would become central to the story. It's waiting to go back to the library.

To a Mountain in Tibet, Colin Thurbron
After the heart palpitations from Feast Day of Fools settled down, I picked this up, thinking it would be a nice contemplative read. The author has gone to the mountain, as much to work through the grief of his mother's death as for the journey itself. It's not compelling, but it's easy on the heart.

Caribou Island, David Vann
I started this one because To a Mountain is not compelling, and better reading for bedtime. Caribou started out "dicey" but after tossing Burke to the curb, I didn't want to toss this one, too. In this case, it has turned around. I've only just started it and have really been too busy to give it much time, but it has interested me enough to make me want to see what comes next.

That's it for me.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Again, as I have mentioned for the past several months, I want to read but cannot get it going.
I just started England England by Julian Barnes which SEVERAL folks recommended here- and it is delightful. (hope I can continue//// and next might be the part time indian one as well. love all the suggestions!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I have recently started reading Victoria Thompson's Gaslight mystery series and am really enjoying it. I never thought about life in NYC in the late 1800's so I am learning a little bit of history, along with a good story.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:53 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,311,516 times
I finished Stephen King's The Wind Through the Keyhole a while ago. Unless you're a hardcore King fan, you aren't really missing anything. Now that I know what fan fiction is, thanks to the Fifty Shades of Grey thread, I would say this is Stephen King's own fan fiction of the Dark Tower series. (I had never heard of fan fiction before - is that unusual?)

The beginning doesn't really work. It's awkward, like King was trying to write his way into the story and didn't quite know how. The rest of it, if it were unconnected to the Dark Tower series, is a rather lovely fairytale. But I don't find much of a connection between the Roland of the Dark Tower series, and the Roland as portrayed in this book. They seem like two different characters to me.

I am still on Shantaram and am loving it. It is side-splittingly hilarious the way the Germans in the book talk, because the Germans I know all talk like that. I'm finding it a slow book in a good way, because I feel compelled to read it slowly, so as to savour the thoughts in it.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I just down loaded all of Jane Austen's books...free on Kindle. I am working my way thru all classic literature. And most of it is free....love it.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Finished Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant. As others have said, it was delightful. Sweet, funny, sad, surprising. All good things in a book. I'm going back now and re-reading some parts I zoomed through yesterday afternoon because I wanted to see how it ended.

Thanks for the recommendations and keep 'em coming.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Jonathon Kellerman, the Silent Partner. Psychologist, crime solver, set in SoCal.

Dan Brown, Lost Symbols. I keep hearing Tom Hanks voice when reading the character's lines.

Just downloaded three bio's about Humphrey Bogart. Yes. I am a fan.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,310,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Jonathon Kellerman, the Silent Partner. Psychologist, crime solver, set in SoCal.

Dan Brown, Lost Symbols. I keep hearing Tom Hanks voice when reading the character's lines.

Just downloaded three bio's about Humphrey Bogart. Yes. I am a fan.
I love Jonathon Kellerman but I like his wife, Faye Kellerman even more. If you have not read her books I suggest starting with The Ritual Bath. She writes about Peter and Rina Decker. Peter is an LA detective who discovers his roots through Rina.

As a fan of Bogie, I enjoy reading about him. Myself Alone is one of Lauren Bacall's autobiography and she writes extensively about her marriage to Bogie. It's an excellent book and she tells some great stories. They really loved each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books