Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM

103 posts, read 80,082 times

Advertisements

True Sisters by Sandra Dallas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,632 times
Khan Al khalili by mahfouz. Slow going as I only get a bit in before bed and after a few minutes, I'm out.

Just finished Still Alice which I though was very good.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Khan Al khalili by mahfouz. Slow going as I only get a bit in before bed and after a few minutes, I'm out.

Just finished Still Alice which I though was very good.
I've read Still Alice twice and I have recommended it to so many people.
It has really helped me deal with my mother's dementia.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 AM

13 posts, read 15,583 times
I have Kindle Fire and have loved Joshua Graham's books. Books in hand right now for me are A Course in Miracles - Foundation For Inner Peace and my latest TAKE ME TO TRUTH written by Nouk Sanchez and Tomas Vieira. This is a book that addresses the human Ego and the challenge that all spiritual seekers face is undoing that Ego on their journey to Awakening. It has been an eye opening book for me and one that I have to take frequent breaks in between pages. I love this book and I take the challenge of sifting through the pages with a courage I didn't know I had.
Seven years ago I was at a discount book store and happened accross a book called A Parenthesis in Eternity written by Joel S. Goldsmith I still to this day read paragraphs. It is a true inspiration.

Last edited by seekerkat; 05-15-2012 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: repeated myself

Old 05-15-2012, 04:24 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've read Still Alice twice and I have recommended it to so many people.
It has really helped me deal with my mother's dementia.
Hey I highly reccomend tallgrass by sandra dallas excellent book I absoloutly love her and most things she writes . I loved the book doc by mary doria russell .

Old 05-15-2012, 04:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I know that they are other forums for this but I like the people on this forum. The people on the other forums are so annoying and boring. Then the sites with the people that aren't so boring are more immature then I am! Anyway, I'm currently reading "The Kite Runner" and it's great so far. Below is my list of books I've read recently and yes, I liked them all.
1. Time Traveler's wife (chicklit)
2. Forever by Pete Hamill
3. The Red Tent (chicklit)
4. All of the Harry Potter Books (Loads of fun)
5. Middlesex
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. The 5 People You meet in Heaven
8. Yes, yes - The DaVinci Code
9. Memoirs of a Geisha

My all time Favorite book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I can go on and on. But the the book I keep going back to over and over again is 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12. I love my kids but they drive me crazy
I am a HUGE James Patterson fan and also like Harlan Coben, some Nora Roberts..Janet Evanovich is great too. Right now I am reading "Kill Me If You Can"...James Patterson. I see that Patterson is also writing kids books..I can't imagine that as he is quite the suspense author. His latest is all about a kid in Middle School. I don't know..would need to know more about it before I bought it for my grandson!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Caribou Island, David Vann Caribou started out "dicey" but after tossing Burke to the curb, I didn't want to toss this one, too. In this case, it has turned around. I've only just started it and have really been too busy to give it much time, but it has interested me enough to make me want to see what comes next.

That's it for me.
This book reminded me that it is important for me to NOT dislike the characters in the book I am reading. Forty percent through and I not only dislike the three couples that the "story" centers on, but want to just shake some sense into them. I suppose it is the author that I am really angry with -- for sucking me into such an incredible waste of my time! The review on the back cover called this one beautiful. Hmmmm. I suppose if you like reading about the lives of six disillusioned people using one another to attain false happiness. Grrrrr.

Another one kicked to the curb!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
The review on the back cover called this one beautiful. Hmmmm. I suppose if you like reading about the lives of six disillusioned people using one another to attain false happiness. Grrrrr.

Another one kicked to the curb!
You know what I've learned from the reading reviews (separate from reader reviews on Amazon, I mean)? You have to pay attention to WHO is writing the review.

If the review is by another author, I totally disregard it. They're likely friends, or at least acquaintances.

If the review is by a magazine that I consider nonsense (Vogue, Entertainment Weekly, People), I disregard it. If the review is by a magazine like the New Yorker, I might give the book a little more power for me. Maybe.

I look for reviews by book review "companies" -- New York Times Book Review and/or New York Times, Kirkus, Booklist, etc... And, to be honest, if the New York Times isn't featured as one of the book's reviews either on the book jacket or an Amazon, I'm much less likely to read it. I've learned that I'm of a New York Times mind...

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-15-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I look for reviews by book review "companies" -- New York Times Book Review and/or New York Times, Kirkus, Booklist, etc... And, to be honest, if the New York Times isn't featured as one of the book's reviews either on the book jacket or an Amazon, I'm much less likely to read it. I've learned that I'm of a New York Times mind...
I am TOTALLY going to follow this advice. Thanks! 8) LFM

Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 PM

341 posts, read 678,725 times
Last month I read two awesome books:

"Truth" by Emile Zola

"Cloudsplitter" by Russell Banks

I am currently reading "The Family Corleone" by Ed Falco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books