Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times

Advertisements

I've been sick for nearly two weeks and read several mysteries by J. A. Jance, a couple featuring Joanna Brady, sheriff of a big county in southeast AZ and several featuring a detective named J. P. Beaumont set in Seattle. Good stuff for when you're laying on the couch for hours on end, reading and dozing off, waiting to get better.

I also read Death Benefit by Robin Cook and enjoyed it as I have with all of his stuff.

Found a new author, Joan Brady and her book Bleedout. Excellent. Now I want to read another of her books, Theory of War for which she won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award.

On a side note one of my foster dogs took all the books from the bottom shelf of a 3 ft wide bookcase and destroyed many of them, a few are sort of salvageable. They were all older adventure/travel/hiking books and many were given to be by a former neighbor but it still upset me very much. Being sick meant that I didn't get the dogs out for any serious exercise/play just let them all out in the back yard on their own. Idle paws are the devils tool I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I just read Tuesdays With Morrie. I have to believe I'm in the minority when I say I didn't really like it. And, quite frankly, nothing against Morrie himself, but I found the book to be quite annoying after a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I agree with you. I did not care for the book, either.
Me three. I couldn't finish it.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I just downloaded Unorthodox onto my Kindle. If I'm awake enough, I'll start it tonight. I'm so busy with work, if I don't read any tonight, it might be a good week or so before I do get to start it. Feh!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Just finished 'The Hot Zone' by Richard Preston.

I had no idea we dodged such a bullet.
If you liked Preston's book you might like this one, too. The author is Glenn Close's father. He is an MD.

Amazon.com: Ebola (9780804114325): Dr. William Close: Books

I've read both of them and IMO they are equally good and rather similar.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just downloaded Unorthodox onto my Kindle. If I'm awake enough, I'll start it tonight. I'm so busy with work, if I don't read any tonight, it might be a good week or so before I do get to start it. Feh!

If this is the one about the Hasidic girl I want to read it, too. I've had it on my list for a while but have never gotten around to ordering it.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Same here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Me three. I couldn't finish it.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:12 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,478 times
"Maps for Lost Lovers", by Nadeem Aslam. I found this 2004 gem up in the stacks. It's a slow and thoughtful read that must be savored. Dense with similes and metaphors to the author's beloved world of plants and insects, and so beautifully expressed, they never get tiresome. At the same time, a look behind the curtains at the life of Muslim Pakistanis in England. Not for every casual reader, but a treasure for the thoughtful and inquisitive.

The author (A Pakistani immigrant to Britain) said it took him 11 years to write it, which is so much nicer than reading an author who slams out 11 books a year.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
"Maps for Lost Lovers", by Nadeem Aslam. I found this 2004 gem up in the stacks. It's a slow and thoughtful read that must be savored. Dense with similes and metaphors to the author's beloved world of plants and insects, and so beautifully expressed, they never get tiresome. At the same time, a look behind the curtains at the life of Muslim Pakistanis in England. Not for every casual reader, but a treasure for the thoughtful and inquisitive.

The author (A Pakistani immigrant to Britain) said it took him 11 years to write it, which is so much nicer than reading an author who slams out 11 books a year.
That sounds fabulous! I just asked my library if they could order the Kindle version. If they tell me that they can't, I'll buy it.

ETA: While looking it up on Amazon, I came across another one by the same author. It sounds equally fascinating. It's called Wasted Vigil.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-18-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 04:36 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Okay am reading a fab one titled " the lake of dreams " by kim edwards the same lady who wrote the memory keepers daughter another fab one . This one is just as good So if you enjoyed the mkd then you will like this one .

Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I am reading "The Unwanted" by John Saul. While also reading "When the mob ran Vegas" by Steve Fischer. While also reading "Skeleton Crew" by Stephen King for the second time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books