Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've read Ahab's Wife which I liked very much. I also have Four Spirits, but haven't read that one yet. My husband did and liked it too but not as well as Ahab's Wife. Ahab's Wife was big literary news at the time it came out. Everyone was praising it. I think if you like books like Shantaram, you will like Ahab's Wife. It isn't a thin book.
Thank you my friend has already read both the book ahabs wife and four spirits and she loved both of them and that is who I got the reccomendation from thanks again netwit .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman.
Good book. I read it a couple of months ago. Very interesting reading about life in closed communities.

As a nurse I was intrigued by her physical condition anomaly of being unable to engage in sexual intercourse for so many months and what she had to do to open her own vagina. (Note: That is only a minor sideline of this book.)

Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Good book. I read it a couple of months ago. Very interesting reading about life in closed communities.

As a nurse I was intrigued by her physical condition anomaly of being unable to engage in sexual intercourse for so many months and what she had to do to open her own vagina. (Note: That is only a minor sideline of this book.)
Yes, she certainly had more than her share of medical issues. Odd ones, at that. One thing I will say about the closed society and it's that they allowed for a lot of medical intervention. I was somewhat surprised at that but then I realized I was comparing it to the ultra conservative Islamic society. Two branches of the same tree of Abraham that are similar in many ways but also different in many ways.

I felt so sorry for her when she was a child but at some point, and I don't know when, I began to dislike her. I'm probably going to have to read it again to figure out when and why that happened.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Mockingjay but Suzanne Collins. The last of The Hunger Games trilogy. It's ok, not great. But I do want to see how it ends.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:12 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Mockingjay but Suzanne Collins. The last of The Hunger Games trilogy. It's ok, not great. But I do want to see how it ends.
Mockingjay was my least favorite in the trilogy

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Yes, she certainly had more than her share of medical issues. Odd ones, at that. One thing I will say about the closed society and it's that they allowed for a lot of medical intervention. I was somewhat surprised at that but then I realized I was comparing it to the ultra conservative Islamic society. Two branches of the same tree of Abraham that are similar in many ways but also different in many ways.

I felt so sorry for her when she was a child but at some point, and I don't know when, I began to dislike her. I'm probably going to have to read it again to figure out when and why that happened.
Okay that point in the book i think I would have stopped reading and fainted LOL , seriously though I wont read books about death or surgery since being so ill and hospitalized . From that point six months ago and forward I no longer read any book about procedures or illness or death . Im still not through with proceedures either . My husband was
watching a movie yesterday about a man getting ready to have a colonoscopy and wallah something went wrong and I said ENOUGH !! and he started laughing so hard and i was like OH no you did not LOL but anyways thanks for the heads up on that book .

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Mockingjay was my least favorite in the trilogy
I can't really say that I enjoyed Mockingjay because it was sad and violent. But I did come away with an appreciation for Collins because she gave her young adult readers some serious, relevant, timely issues to think about. The characters were more nuanced, with both good and bad qualities, and the moral conundrums were real.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,644 times
Here is the updated reading list, offered by Yann Martell as recommended reading for the Prime Minister of Canada. It is now up to 101 titles:

What is Stephen Harper Reading?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Just finished 'The Hot Zone' by Richard Preston.

I had no idea we dodged such a bullet.
While we did dodge that particular bullet there are plenty more in Mother Nature's arsenal:

The Coming Plague by Laurie Garrett is an eye opening exploration of what's in that arsenal.

Amazon.com: The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance (9780140250916): Laurie Garrett: Books

When I picked this book up at a newstand/bookstore that never closes it was after getting off my swing shift job at midnight. I didn't even know if it would be all that interesting but chose to open it first when I got home. I was totally engrossed and only put it down with great reluctance when I could not keep my eyes open and the sun was coming up.

Another good one along these same lines is:

Level 4: Virus Hunters of the CDC.

Amazon.com: level 4 virus hunters of the cdc: Books

I think it's only a matter of time before we see a global pandemic with a very high and fast mortality rate.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:30 PM

22 posts, read 28,520 times
The Demons/The Possesed - Dostoevsky

Impressed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books