Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
Just started The Hunger Games. I usually don't go for the trendy books but my husband picked it up and loved it, so I'm giving it a chance. I'm not saying it's incredibly well-written, but it is incredibly compelling. I have to admit, it's a page turner. Who else has read it? Any thoughts?
I tend to always buy books once they're big hits, so of course, The Hunger Games arrived in my arms for my birthday in March. I have not read them yet. They are not my priority interest amongst the 100 books on my unread bookshelf. Of course, I've heard it's really good, and I've also heard the writing isn't superb, but it's still a good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM

14 posts, read 20,014 times
On a mystery kick

The Cold Dish - Craig Johnson
File M for Murder - Miranda James
Spider Web - Earlene Fowler

Old 05-23-2012, 11:03 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,213 times
Default Anne Tyler

Thanks to this thread for the recommendation, I've just finished "Back When We Were Grownups". Tyler is a wonderful storyteller -- she always makes me reflect on who I am, where I've been and who I know. I also recently read "Digging to America" and loved it too.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Hi there sorry to say that ahabs wife did not hold my interest and am now reading her book "the four spirits which has held my interest than ahabs wife did . I next plan to read adam and eve by her as well as sherlock in love another one of hers and kiwi I am going to try anne tyler when I finish with the tbr list I have now thanks take care all and will give you a full review when i get done with all .

Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman. It was a very interesting book. I know people who are only a few steps away from that level of Judaism, so it was very eye-opening. And VERY disturbing. And truly scary. I'm happy that she unorthodoxed herself.

I just got the book of Jessica Grant short stories in the mail today (thanks, TracySam, for the heads up on that!!!!) but I want to attack my to-read pile first. For some reason, I try to read them in the order that I get them. Their appeal seems to wear off if they sit in the pile for too long.

So, I'm going to start on Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman. Not my type of book AND it's heavy (I have it in paperback, not on my Kindle), but I'll give it a shot.

ETA: Uh oh. I just read a more detailed synopsis of Seven Types of Ambiguity. It's a confusing and complicated story, with overlapping characters. This does not bode well for me.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-23-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I finished Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman. It was a very interesting book. I know people who are only a few steps away from that level of Judaism, so it was very eye-opening. And VERY disturbing. And truly scary. I'm happy that she unorthodoxed herself.

I just got the book of Jessica Grant short stories in the mail today (thanks, TracySam, for the heads up on that!!!!) but I want to attack my to-read pile first. For some reason, I try to read them in the order that I get them. Their appeal seems to wear off if they sit in the pile for too long.

So, I'm going to start on Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman. Not my type of book AND it's heavy (I have it in paperback, not on my Kindle), but I'll give it a shot.

ETA: Uh oh. I just read a more detailed synopsis of Seven Types of Ambiguity. It's a confusing and complicated story, with overlapping characters. This does not bode well for me.
I did not like the street sweeper by him either so but you can try it and let me know if you like his books .

Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I did not like the street sweeper by him either so but you can try it and let me know if you like his books .
I just took a break from work and read eight pages. I think that's as far as I'll get.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:06 PM

O-kaaaayyyy! Change of plans!

I'm reading Making Light of Tragedy by Jessica Grant. I don't usually enjoy short stories (except for those by Jhumpa Lahiri, who writes longer stories [long short stories?] with very distinct and fleshed-out characters), but I do like Jessica Grant's writing style. I read the first few stories. Can I say that I enjoyed the stories? Eh. Can I say that I enjoy how she writes? Absolutely.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Hey has anyone read marian keyes ? I picked up her book at the library today and was just wondering if anyone has read any of her books ? happy reading .

Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times
Say you're one of them/Uwem Akpan

strange fits of passion/anita shreve

tree grows in brooklyn/betty smith

the kitchen house/kathleen grissom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books