Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

I finished The Post Office Girl (by Stefan Zweig). It's divided into two parts. Part 1 was fabulous. I actually thought that this might be one of the best books that I'd ever read. Part 2, however, was a total letdown. It's not what I wanted to happen. It dragged. And I didn't like it at all. I should have stopped reading at the end of the first part.

Now I'm either going to read some Ann Packer short stories (I know! I know that I don't really like short stories!) in Swim Back to Me.

OR!

I might start An Uncommon Education by Elizabeth Percer.

Decisions, decisions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Michael Jackson didn't write that book himself. Very few celebrities actually write their own books. Jackson's ghost writer was Stephen Davis. MJF on the other hand, did apparently write his own book.
Interesting. Although still disappointing since his book seems written at a 10th grade level.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I'm about halfway through Michael J. Fox's Lucky Man. It's not a sensational book but few autobiographies are IMO. He is well spoken (written) and the book does not have a lot of flowery language. It's an easy read.

He comes across as a thoughtful man who can camp it up when he needs to. His father was in the Canadian military and I'm always drawn to military kids since I am one myself.

I like this book.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I finished The Post Office Girl (by Stefan Zweig). It's divided into two parts. Part 1 was fabulous. I actually thought that this might be one of the best books that I'd ever read. Part 2, however, was a total letdown. It's not what I wanted to happen. It dragged. And I didn't like it at all. I should have stopped reading at the end of the first part.

Now I'm either going to read some Ann Packer short stories (I know! I know that I don't really like short stories!) in Swim Back to Me.

OR!

I might start An Uncommon Education by Elizabeth Percer.

Decisions, decisions...
Clearly I'm not meant to read short stories except for those by Jhumpa Lahiri. I've packed it in on the Ann Packer (ha! packed it in / Packer) stories at 25% in. The first and last are novellas, actually, and are interlinked, but I truly didn't care enough to learn about the link. (Actually, I just read the synopsis on Amazon... and discovered the link. So there, Ann Packer!)

I'm going to start An Uncommon Education later on. IT'S A REAL BOOK. (God, I hope it's good.)

Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I'm thinking we could be twins, except I am nine years older...

Quote:
I'm reading ONE book. Fifty pages after a character was introduced and then mentioned again, I've forgotten that character. ...
I'm *only* 47. It's too early to be so, so, so... I don't know what word I'm looking for.
It's not you, but the author. I am guessing she lost her place in the writing, so you lost it in the reading, or her story just wasn't compelling enough to keep you engaged. You're fine.

Quote:
I finished The Post Office Girl (by Stefan Zweig). It's divided into two parts. Part 1 was fabulous. I actually thought that this might be one of the best books that I'd ever read. Part 2, however, was a total letdown. It's not what I wanted to happen. It dragged. And I didn't like it at all.
I've had this happen, too. It is like the author got to the end of her interest level and then just threw something together to finish her contract. (Probably she took an advance, and then couldn't deliver, maybe something happened in her personal life.)

I was reading a JA Jance mystery once, and discovered that in the beginning the victim was stabbed, but later in the story he was shot. I was so used to her work being crisp that I emailed her to give her a bit of a hard time, in jest. It turned out her son-in-law (I think it was SiL) was dying and she just lost track of the book. I felt terrible after learning the situation.

Quote:
Clearly I'm not meant to read short stories....

I'm going to start An Uncommon Education later on. IT'S A REAL BOOK. (God, I hope it's good.)
I have yet to successfully read a book of shorts. They just do not capture me. I think I need more character development. I can read a tome, but a short? Usually not more than one.

I just put down ANOTHER ("Running the books : the adventures of an accidental prison librarian," by Avi Steinberg) -- a TOTAL must miss. I am so disappointed in the string of poorly conceived books (IMO) that I pulled one off my own shelf: "The Complete Poetic Works of Shelley." (Cambridge Edition, 1901). So far I have only read the editor's (George Edward Woodberry) biographical sketch at the start, but it's better than anything I've read recently.

Best wishes with "An Uncommon Education."

Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm thinking we could be twins, except I am nine years older...

It's not you, but the author. I am guessing she lost her place in the writing, so you lost it in the reading, or her story just wasn't compelling enough to keep you engaged. You're fine.

I've had this happen, too. It is like the author got to the end of her interest level and then just threw something together to finish her contract. (Probably she took an advance, and then couldn't deliver, maybe something happened in her personal life.)

I was reading a JA Jance mystery once, and discovered that in the beginning the victim was stabbed, but later in the story he was shot. I was so used to her work being crisp that I emailed her to give her a bit of a hard time, in jest. It turned out her son-in-law (I think it was SiL) was dying and she just lost track of the book. I felt terrible after learning the situation.

I have yet to successfully read a book of shorts. They just do not capture me. I think I need more character development. I can read a tome, but a short? Usually not more than one.

I just put down ANOTHER ("Running the books : the adventures of an accidental prison librarian," by Avi Steinberg) -- a TOTAL must miss. I am so disappointed in the string of poorly conceived books (IMO) that I pulled one off my own shelf: "The Complete Poetic Works of Shelley." (Cambridge Edition, 1901). So far I have only read the editor's (George Edward Woodberry) biographical sketch at the start, but it's better than anything I've read recently.

Best wishes with "An Uncommon Education."
If you want to give short stories a try again, I really really REALLY think that the two books of stories by Jhumpa Lahiri will work for you. I absolutely LOVED them. All of them. That's the thing -- the characters WERE completely developed in her books, something that I've never found in short stories.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I just finished Rod Steiger by Tom Hutchinson. The author was a long time friend of Steiger's.

I read it because I think that Steiger was one of the best actors around for many years. It's a good book if you like a well written biography about an interesting person.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
I just finished reading 'I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did' about the death of privacy on the internet. It was scary! Now I know why I don't buy anything or do any banking on the internet!

Amazon.com: I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did: Social Networks and the Death of Privacy (9781451650518): Lori Andrews: Books

Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM

74,112 posts, read 1,835,507 times
Right now I'm reading The Thiees of Darkness by Richard Doetsch.
I've never read his books before.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,735 times
Gearing up fot the Promise and The Blessing- Micheal A. Harbin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books