Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 05:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It's a great book, Dawn. You'll like it.
It's such a short little book.

I read a few pages before falling into slumber (poetic! ) last night, but I can already tell that I'll like it a lot... and that I'll wish it were longer.

Have you read that Auschwitz book that I told you about a week or so ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

I read a few pages before falling into slumber (poetic! ) last night, but I can already tell that I'll like it a lot... and that I'll wish it were longer.

Okay dawn you have been holding out on me LOL what auschwitz book?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay dawn you have been holding out on me LOL what auschwitz book?
LOL! Yeah, I like to keep all things Auschwitz to myself.

Amazon.com: Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account (9781611450118): Miklos Nyiszli, Tibere Kremer, Richard Seaver, Bruno Bettelheim: Books

It's a book that I got from the library that I told Ketabcha about. I'm not sure that I'll ever read it -- it's a very difficult subject for me (and for many other people, I know) -- but it sounded "interesting," for lack of a better word.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
If you want to give short stories a try again, I really really REALLY think that the two books of stories by Jhumpa Lahiri will work for you. I absolutely LOVED them. All of them. That's the thing -- the characters WERE completely developed in her books, something that I've never found in short stories.
Thanks, Dawn! I've wished I could get into the shorts. Maybe this is the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
... Steiger was one of the best actors around for many years. It's a good book if you like a well written biography about an interesting person.
I don't actually recall Steiger, but I LOVE reading biographies. Thanks for the recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Now I know why I don't buy anything or do any banking on the internet!
Good luck with that, humboldtrat. As far as I can tell, even if you never get on the computer, unless you never sign a contract and use only cash -- you are in the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
I really need to get new books. I've read every book in my collection at least twice.
I've always admired people that can read a book more than once. I think it demonstrates a patience and sense of satisfaction with life. Me, I don't seem to ever get enough and am always going after that next thing. I don't keep books, and my cases are always filled with books I've yet to read. (I cannot tell you how many I've resold (moving, etc) unread.

Quote:
I'm giving up on An Uncommon Education. To call it sluggish is being too kind. I don't require fast action in my books -- in fact, I enjoy a quiet book, a character study -- but this book just feels... blah. .... I'm not sure what I'll read next. I feel like I'm hard to please these days.
Bummer, and you had such high hopes for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished "One Shot" by Lee Childs. I love a good mystery!
DH loves Childs. I don't read mysteries so much, anymore, so many are so graphic, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
... so far this 89 yr. old Grandmother is telling this true story to her Grand son the untold story of the golden ring she received when she was 9 yrs. old.
[Hey, I am an Michigander! (Been gone since '76, but it's still HOME.)]
I loved hearing my grandma's stories as a kid. I could listen for hours. I'll keep an eye open for this one. Thanks.

Quote:
LOL! Yeah, I like to keep all things Auschwitz to myself.
I've read enough of man's inhumanity to man to last the rest of my life. I just cannot take it anymore. When will we ever learn?

And, for my reading (listening):

I started listening to the audiobook by Anne LaMott: Grace (Eventually), read by Anne, herself.

My first intro to this author was at a Writer's Conference in Edmonds, WA many years ago, where she was a keynote speaker. I was so glad I taped it because her life's lessons were so opportune to me at that stage. Then, her book was "Bird by Bird." I recommend it.

This one, written many years later, also seems to be what I need to know, now. Unless you are an aging woman with a strong case of optimistic idealism coupled with liberal tendencies, it probably isn't the book for you, but I like it.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 AM

LookinForMayberry:

Jhumpa Lahiri -- I've tried to read short stories before finding hers. No luck. I've tried reading short stories AFTER finding hers. No luck. She's IT for me. In fact, after I read her first book of shorts (Interpreter of Maladies), I quickly ordered her other book of stories (Unaccustomed Earth). I can't even tell you which I liked better because I absolutely LOVED both of them.

As for An Uncommon Education, it got pretty good reviews. Maybe it's not the book. Maybe it's me. Could be...!

I hope that you're liking what you're listening to. I've never been able to get into audio books at all. I'm visual -- I need to see the words in order to absorb the words.

ETA: Every time I read a book that focuses on the Holocaust, I vow that I won't read any more of them. They take a terrible toll on me. That's why I'm thinking that I might not read this one -- especially because the focus is medical, and I feel sick just thinking of what they did. (A member of my family was "medically experimented' on. She lived to tell the tale. But still...)

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Jhumpa Lahiri -- I can't even tell you which I liked better because I absolutely LOVED both of them.

I've never been able to get into audio books at all. I'm visual -- I need to see the words in order to absorb the words.
Reserved three of Lahiri's Large Print books from our library, two of which you mentioned. With classes starting in three weeks and 470 pages to study before I start, I don't know how much fun reading I will get done....

As for the audiobooks, I am much like you. I only listen to them when I am working on a craft project, or doing something that requires my hands and eyes, but not my brain. And I never remember what I listened to with any exactness. It's only my sense of how I felt as I listened.

Now, back to what I am actually READING: Schaum's "Financial Management."

Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Reserved three of Lahiri's Large Print books from our library, two of which you mentioned. With classes starting in three weeks and 470 pages to study before I start, I don't know how much fun reading I will get done....

As for the audiobooks, I am much like you. I only listen to them when I am working on a craft project, or doing something that requires my hands and eyes, but not my brain. And I never remember what I listened to with any exactness. It's only my sense of how I felt as I listened.

Now, back to what I am actually READING: Schaum's "Financial Management."
Ah! The third must be her novel, The Namesake. I enjoyed it, but not like I enjoyed her short stories. That's saying something, isn't it?

Schaum's Financial Management, huh? Sounds... fascinating.

I hope you find some time for enjoyable reading. I know it's a tough juggling act. Good luck with school!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Quote:

Auschwitz is on my Kindle but I have not started it yet. I'm currently reading about hundreds of people living in an underground silo that is 140 stories deep. They are afraid to leave it. It's dystopian and actually a good read. Murders abound. Wool: Omnibus Edition.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,809 times
Just finished Killing Lincoln-great book and now I'm reading the second installment of the Hungar Games...will be done in the next day-I need a real thinking book-any suggestions? Something that makes you think....I'm pretty open to anything.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,213 times
Just finished My Sister's Keeper -- Jodi Picoult. I'd not read any JP books before this one and was really impressed with her writing. And the story is heartwrenching. Thanks to all posters who recommended her. I'll be looking for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books