Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,911,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished My Sister's Keeper -- Jodi Picoult. I'd not read any JP books before this one and was really impressed with her writing. And the story is heartwrenching. Thanks to all posters who recommended her. I'll be looking for more.

I maybe an odd duck but the only ones I liked were the plain truth , nineteen minutes and my sisters keeper . those are the only ones I liked out of all her books . take care .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,319,370 times
I just finished two books---

Khan al Khalili by Naguib Mahfouz--took a while but I muddled through it. Not my favorite of his, I wasn't a huge fan of the main character

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok--I really enjoyed this book, about a girl who immigrates from Hong Kong with her mother and must attend school during the day and help her mother with her factory job in the evenings, all the while living in squalor and somehow managing to rise above it all.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished My Sister's Keeper -- Jodi Picoult. I'd not read any JP books before this one and was really impressed with her writing. And the story is heartwrenching. Thanks to all posters who recommended her. I'll be looking for more.
I suggest Change of Heart. Wow, I was on an emotional roller coaster with that one. Also Nineteen Minutes. I'm always surprised by the endings which seem to be bittersweet most of the time. She is a very creative writer and her characters are so very clear to me.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM

im really liking digging to america by anne tyler as someone else on here suggested and forget the beginers goodbye i really could not get into that one by anne tyler . I dont know I think her books are a hit and miss with me .

Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
I've given up reading Shantaram somewhere between pages 500-600. I did love the book but I was reading it when my beagle was in the last stage of her life and now I just don't want to read it any more. I actually felt about the author the way Dandj felt about that guy who wrote the book about the tiger - can't remember his name or the book title. I fell a little in love with the author of Shantaram.

But it's just not in me to read it now.

I read something fairly stupid instead - The Thirteen by Susie Moloney. Fast read, horror genre. She's had some success, local writer. I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to say whether it was a good horror genre book. Still took me forever to read, it seemed like, but that wasn't necessarily due to the writing. Maybe I'll have better luck with the next book.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've given up reading Shantaram somewhere between pages 500-600. I did love the book but I was reading it when my beagle was in the last stage of her life and now I just don't want to read it any more. I actually felt about the author the way Dandj felt about that guy who wrote the book about the tiger - can't remember his name or the book title. I fell a little in love with the author of Shantaram.

But it's just not in me to read it now.
Oh my gosh, we're twinsies! That's exactly what happens to me: When something bad happens while I'm reading a book, that book must be banished. Every time I pick it up, it reminds me of what happened, and all the feelings come rushing back, making the book impossible to read.

I hope today is a better day for you. I know, it's not good... but better.

PS. Yann Martel. I just thought about him yesterday, in fact.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM

Okay I was just curious if any of my fellow bookmates on here have read anything by Jacquelyn Mitchard ? I m reading one now and it is really good it is called a matter of relativity . I also read one by her titled deep end of the ocean and there was a movie by that title as well . loved the movie and the book . I really like her style of writing . take care all and please let me know if you have read anything by her .

Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 PM

995 posts, read 1,106,714 times
I'm re-reading The Deed of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon. Classic fantasy, my kids read the trilogy when they were teens, and also re-read it on a regular basis. The original 3 books are oop, but it's still available in a one-volume trade paperback.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
If He Hollers, Let Him Go (by Chester Himes). I've read a few pages but I'm not sure if I'll get through it.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:17 AM

461 posts, read 908,300 times
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books