Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-10-2012, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
4,975 posts, read 11,646,929 times
Reputation: 3392

Advertisements

Just started The New New Rules by Bill Maher. Hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Sigh... I'm not having an easy time of Cancer Ward by the Russian dude. I know that it's a good story -- I can tell just 25 pages in -- but my brain is a mumble-jumble of work stuff, and "to-do" stuff, and miscellaneous nonsense, so I'm having a difficult time keeping the character's names in order, remembering who's who. Had they been named Bill and John, I'm guessing it would be easier, but the Russian names are throwing me for a loop and I feel like I'm not giving the book the concentration that it deserves. So, I'm going to put it aside for now. I'll come back to it, for sure, but it's not the right book for me right now.

I have other books in the "to read" pile but I'm going to wait for the mail to come and hope that Downtown by Pete Hamill is among the stash. I want to get lost in that book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Reputation: 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm having a difficult time keeping the character's names in order, remembering who's who.
I totally get where you are with the Russian dude. I read a lot of Dostoevsky in high school literature classes, and it nearly knocked me out trying to keep track of all their names. It isn't just that each character has a first, middle, and last. They also have so many diminutives that, unlike ours (Robert = Rob, Bob, Bobby) they also use forms of the father's names for the children. They can also be called different names by different people, depending upon the level of familiarity between the two.

What I found I had to do was get a sheet of paper and just chart out the characters names. Once I had something to glance at, they quickly "gelled" in my brain, and after awhile I could read the name and know without looking.

There is a richness and texture to Russian works (at least older works) that I don't find in Western literature. I hope you can read it eventually and report. I would be interested in knowing about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I totally get where you are with the Russian dude. I read a lot of Dostoevsky in high school literature classes, and it nearly knocked me out trying to keep track of all their names. It isn't just that each character has a first, middle, and last. They also have so many diminutives that, unlike ours (Robert = Rob, Bob, Bobby) they also use forms of the father's names for the children. They can also be called different names by different people, depending upon the level of familiarity between the two.
YES! Exactly!

Quote:
What I found I had to do was get a sheet of paper and just chart out the characters names. Once I had something to glance at, they quickly "gelled" in my brain, and after awhile I could read the name and know without looking.
So funny that you said that! Yesterday, when I put the book back in my night table, I stuck a Post-It Note in with it as a reminder to myself to build a "cheat sheet" of the names for when I start this book again. Great minds think alike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,354,310 times
Reputation: 30253
A Storm of Swords. I'm now struggling through volume no. III of the series A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin.
Well, maybe struggle is not the correct word. I do love the books and read them for the second time now but since it's so detailed with very small print and I don't have much time to read I only make it through 20-50 pages a day. So it's rather slow reading for my taste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

I have other books in the "to read" pile but I'm going to wait for the mail to come and hope that Downtown by Pete Hamill is among the stash. I want to get lost in that book.
It didn't come in the mail today. That means that I hope that there's a Keeping Up With the Kardashians marathon on TV tonight. (I wish that I was kidding.) (I'm not kidding.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Reputation: 26859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Sigh... I'm not having an easy time of Cancer Ward by the Russian dude. I know that it's a good story -- I can tell just 25 pages in -- but my brain is a mumble-jumble of work stuff, and "to-do" stuff, and miscellaneous nonsense, so I'm having a difficult time keeping the character's names in order, remembering who's who. Had they been named Bill and John, I'm guessing it would be easier, but the Russian names are throwing me for a loop and I feel like I'm not giving the book the concentration that it deserves. So, I'm going to put it aside for now. I'll come back to it, for sure, but it's not the right book for me right now.

I have other books in the "to read" pile but I'm going to wait for the mail to come and hope that Downtown by Pete Hamill is among the stash. I want to get lost in that book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I totally get where you are with the Russian dude. I read a lot of Dostoevsky in high school literature classes, and it nearly knocked me out trying to keep track of all their names. It isn't just that each character has a first, middle, and last. They also have so many diminutives that, unlike ours (Robert = Rob, Bob, Bobby) they also use forms of the father's names for the children. They can also be called different names by different people, depending upon the level of familiarity between the two.

What I found I had to do was get a sheet of paper and just chart out the characters names. Once I had something to glance at, they quickly "gelled" in my brain, and after awhile I could read the name and know without looking.

There is a richness and texture to Russian works (at least older works) that I don't find in Western literature. I hope you can read it eventually and report. I would be interested in knowing about it.
Sometimes, if a book is confusing me this way, I'll just Google it. There's usually a Wikipedia entry that sort of set things straight. I know I did this with Anna Karenina and also The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm pretty sure there were lists of characters with short explanations for both books and I found them helpful. Maybe it's sort of cheating, but WTH, I'm not taking an English test over them or anything.

I just finished The Passage by Justin Cronin and really enjoyed it. It's a big, over-the-top epic story about a virus run amuck that creates monsters who destroy the world except for a few survivors, etc. etc. Not usually a genre I enjoy but I couldn't put it down. It's the first book of a triology and the second one doesn't come out til October. I'll probably preorder it.

Now I'm feeling sort of obligated to read Deadlocked, the next installment in the Sookie Stackhouse series but my heart isn't in it. The first books in the series were fun, but now it just feels like the author is going through the motions. None of the books take any effort, so I may just skim through it to see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM
 
16,579 posts, read 20,569,663 times
Reputation: 26859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It didn't come in the mail today. That means that I hope that there's a Keeping Up With the Kardashians marathon on TV tonight. (I wish that I was kidding.) (I'm not kidding.)
There's always America's Got Talent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Reputation: 9783
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It didn't come in the mail today. That means that I hope that there's a Keeping Up With the Kardashians marathon on TV tonight. (I wish that I was kidding.) (I'm not kidding.)
OKay. I wish you are kidding too.

I'm not that far gone - but I am reading The Devil Colony by James Rollins - haven't had the time to concentrate on anything deeper. I don't know what to say about it other than I prefer my conspiracy theories to make a little more sense. Nonetheless, I am reading it. Not too sure why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Sometimes, if a book is confusing me this way, I'll just Google it. There's usually a Wikipedia entry that sort of set things straight. I know I did this with Anna Karenina and also The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm pretty sure there were lists of characters with short explanations for both books and I found them helpful. Maybe it's sort of cheating, but WTH, I'm not taking an English test over them or anything.
That Post-It Note that I put in the book? I just wrote on it: "Google it for cheat-sheet!"

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
There's always America's Got Talent!
Nah, when I watch TV (which is rare), I need it to be really bad. Like really, Really, REALLY bad. Like Kardashian bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
OKay. I wish you are kidding too.
But I'm not.

Note: The Kardashians are NOT on TV tonight. But Basketball Wives is. Ha! That's almost as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top