Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,703,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
That Post-It Note that I put in the book? I just wrote on it: "Google it for cheat-sheet!"

Thank you!

Nah, when I watch TV (which is rare), I need it to be really bad. Like really, Really, REALLY bad. Like Kardashian bad.

But I'm not.

Note: The Kardashians are NOT on TV tonight. But Basketball Wives is. Ha! That's almost as bad.
You're welcome for the Google idea.

I get it with the Kardashian thing. I don't watch much TV at all, but The Voice and now America's Got Talent are my guilty pleasures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You're welcome for the Google idea.

I get it with the Kardashian thing. I don't watch much TV at all, but The Voice and now America's Got Talent are my guilty pleasures.
Enjoy! We all deserve them.

And... you're the best!!! I'm not ready to (re-)start Cancer Ward, but I looked it up. You're exactly right: Wikipedia has a character list. YAY!!!!

Cancer Ward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-11-2012, 06:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
...now it just feels like the author is going through the motions.
This is so often the case with sequels that I find myself viewing them with suspicions, even unfounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Nonetheless, I am reading it. Not too sure why.
Geez, if I had a nickle for every time I've found myself slogging it out, wondering why... well, let's just say I wouldn't be worrying where my next paycheck was going to come from!

Note to Dawn: I read your line to the Cancer Ward and this phrase captured me: "those implicated in the suffering of their fellow citizens during Stalin's Great Purge, when millions were killed, sent to labor camps, or exiled."

If that book is at all worth reading, be sure and let us know. If the author has truly examined that topic I want to read it. (I studied the Russian Terror for awhile, which took me to Lenin, which took me to Stalin. Stalin made Hitler look like a boy scout, but he never turned on anyone but his own so he doesn't get the negative press.)

Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Note to Dawn: I read your line to the Cancer Ward and this phrase captured me: "those implicated in the suffering of their fellow citizens during Stalin's Great Purge, when millions were killed, sent to labor camps, or exiled."

If that book is at all worth reading, be sure and let us know. If the author has truly examined that topic I want to read it. (I studied the Russian Terror for awhile, which took me to Lenin, which took me to Stalin. Stalin made Hitler look like a boy scout, but he never turned on anyone but his own so he doesn't get the negative press.)
Will do!

ETA: You might want to ask LolaGranola about it. I'm guessing that she's finished it already. I had never heard of the book (or the author) until she mentioned it here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/books...l#post24450230

Last edited by DawnMTL; 06-11-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Well as I'm out of unread books I think I'll reread either A Tree Grows In Brooklyn or The Wall after I flip through this thread to see what strikes my fancy and order

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finally finished The Devil Colony, thank goodness, and started reading The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson. I'm not too far into it yet and so far it seems to be the story of a mid-western boy, starting in the 70s and jumping forward a few years each chapter. It is beautifully written, with the chapters I've read so far, each perfect little portraits of life then.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
Novels by E.M. Forster: A Room with a View, Howards End, and now am on Maurice.
Never seen movies made based on them (an prefer this way).

What a difference with what I expected!! What would one expect from a novel written a hundred years ago? Appropriateness, sensibility, prudence? What a departure. Maurice is the hardest to read so far, palpably muddling through the author's descriptions of what even Oscar Wilde preferred to keep under wraps.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Um. Yeah. I got no mail today. NOTHING. Not a bill. Not a flyer. AND NO BOOKS!

You think my heart was set on Downtown by Pete Hamill two days ago? Yesterday? This morning? Well, NOW I'm positively frothing at the mouth, knowing that I have to wait until tomorrow. And that's IF it comes tomorrow.

Yeah, I know I have a ton of other books to read but -- wah wah wah -- I want to read THAT one.

PS. I'm fine. Just cranky is all. Carry on with your business. I'll just be in the corner, wallowing in despair.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:55 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Um. Yeah. I got no mail today. NOTHING. Not a bill. Not a flyer. AND NO BOOKS!

You think my heart was set on Downtown by Pete Hamill two days ago? Yesterday? This morning? Well, NOW I'm positively frothing at the mouth, knowing that I have to wait until tomorrow. And that's IF it comes tomorrow.

Yeah, I know I have a ton of other books to read but -- wah wah wah -- I want to read THAT one.

PS. I'm fine. Just cranky is all. Carry on with your business. I'll just be in the corner, wallowing in despair.
I prefer real bookstores, but I ordered some harder to find books yesterday from Amazon. I can hardly wait to get them. I've found that's a problem for me, even if I'm enjoying what I'm reading, if I'm expecting other books, I keep thinking of them and thinking of them...

One of them was On the Rez by Ian Frazier, and that led me to Great Plains, and another book with "rez" in the title. I'm going into a Native American phase, I think. Anyone read either of those books? And I ordered The Mirror, which was mentioned in the time travel thread.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:33 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
Finally finished Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall, who was born into the polygamous FLDS. Elissa was forced into a loveless and abusive marriage at age 14 by Warren Jeffs, the prophet in the FLDS. Eventually, she was the chief witness at the Jeffs trial, which resulted in his conviction for rape conspiracy. Of 14 children in the Wall family, at the time of the writing, only 3, plus her mother, remained in the FLDS---the others having left or, in the case of the boys, forced out. Elissa's entire family was taken from their father--who was a good father and loved all of them greatly--and given to another man because Elissa's father was deemed unworthy. Warren Jeffs administered the FLDS as a not-very-benevolent dictator and was eventually brought down. Elissa met and married a fellow FLDS young man but the two of them left the community and started their own lives together. A good read.

While perusing Amazon books, I found several written by former members of FLDS and other polygamous societies. Can't buy them all but I imagine all of them to be telling the same story just with different characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books