Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 03:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,325,016 times

Advertisements

Per Dawn's suggestion, I recently finished "The Book Thief" and I am now reading "Come, Thou Tortoise" which I was so excited to finally order and get in the mail. Wish I weren't so busy so I could just sit around reading while the kids enjoy summer vacation. Oh well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Per Dawn's suggestion, I recently finished "The Book Thief" and I am now reading "Come, Thou Tortoise" which I was so excited to finally order and get in the mail. Wish I weren't so busy so I could just sit around reading while the kids enjoy summer vacation. Oh well....
Oh my God, did you love The Book Thief? I thought it was incredible and that Markus Zusak wrote a perfect book.

YAY!!! for Come, Thou Tortoise. Enjoy it fully when you're less busy.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM

28 posts, read 28,093 times
Angela's Ashes is a sad and tragic story, but so beautifully written. I loved it when I read it.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM

7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWRoots View Post
Gardens in the Dunes by Leslie Marmon Silko. Ceremony was her first novel, and it is still my favorite of hers. This novel is very detailed. (Such attention to detail reminds me of Dickens.) Detailed writing can be a bit too much for me, but I know Silko is an intelligent writer, and the details are not frivolous. She is one of my favorite Native American writers.
I've never heard of her but I searched her and I will defnitely be checking out her books. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh my God, did you love The Book Thief? I thought it was incredible and that Markus Zusak wrote a perfect book.

YAY!!! for Come, Thou Tortoise. Enjoy it fully when you're less busy.
Oh my gosh, did I EVER love it!! I seriously did not want it to end! A mom to one of my son's baseball teammates said someone recommended it to her, but she was reading something else. I told her it was recommended to me by a good source so I dug in and was so in love with it. I wanted to love it first time I saw it because of the title, but I was worried. So glad I listened to you!!

In the evenings, when the kids have gone to bed, I am able to fully enjoy reading it. I feel like I'm flying through it when I am able to read it's so good. Then there's that challenge of reminding myself I need to sleep and work so I must put the book down.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Oh my gosh, did I EVER love it!! I seriously did not want it to end! A mom to one of my son's baseball teammates said someone recommended it to her, but she was reading something else. I told her it was recommended to me by a good source so I dug in and was so in love with it. I wanted to love it first time I saw it because of the title, but I was worried. So glad I listened to you!!

In the evenings, when the kids have gone to bed, I am able to fully enjoy reading it. I feel like I'm flying through it when I am able to read it's so good. Then there's that challenge of reminding myself I need to sleep and work so I must put the book down.
Oh goodie! I'm thrilled that you loved it so much. Someone else on this forum stopped part way through -- I don't know why -- and I've urged her to continue. I loved it from the first page.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Oh goodie! I'm thrilled that you loved it so much. Someone else on this forum stopped part way through -- I don't know why -- and I've urged her to continue. I loved it from the first page.
I cannot imagine not loving it! Wow! I hope she does continue it and finds it as wonderful as we do.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I cannot imagine not loving it! Wow! I hope she does continue it and finds it as wonderful as we do.
Now I hope that you feel the same about Come, Thou Tortoise.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:20 PM

5,397 posts, read 6,145,909 times
I just finished "With The Old Breed" by E B Sledge, and real life accouting of the authors experiences as a marine at Pelileu and Okinawa - fantastic book, highly recommended!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Now I hope that you feel the same about Come, Thou Tortoise.
I think it'll be up there. I'm really liking the characters and for me that makes a huge difference in how much I love a book. I'll be sure to save it, though; I can tell that much already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books