Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Wellll, isn't THIS embarrassing!?! I'm not enjoying Downtown by Pete Hamill. It reads like a history lesson. I loved when he talked about the history of New York in his novel Forever, but this is dry, dry, dry. There's not enough memoir to it, and there's too much lecturing.

I *could* start a different book tonight but I feel beaten by the book these days. Maybe I will... or maybe I'll wait for tomorrow. Because, like was said in Gone With the Wind... oh, never mind, I'm just getting melodramatic. (Oh, hi, PMS! Nice to see YOU again!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Oh you should read The Book Thief!! What a great book!!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Stayed up late to finish Julian Barnes' "Arthur and George", very much worth reading. A fairly accurate historical account of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and George Edalji, with a fictional interweaving. Literary and articulate, as well as a good reflection of 1900 England.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stayed up late to finish Julian Barnes' "Arthur and George", very much worth reading. A fairly accurate historical account of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and George Edalji, with a fictional interweaving. Literary and articulate, as well as a good reflection of 1900 England.
I really liked that book too.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Oh my goodness I am throughly loving "Running with the bulls ", by valerie hemmingway . I have always thought if I had been born at another time in history I would have loved to pal around with Ernest Hemmingway shame how he ended his life , imagine what he could have done if he had lived his full life . I often think when great writers die we are are the ones who loose too . oh well cant wait to finish it .

Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh my goodness I am throughly loving "Running with the bulls ", by valerie hemmingway . I have always thought if I had been born at another time in history I would have loved to pal around with Ernest Hemmingway shame how he ended his life , imagine what he could have done if he had lived his full life . I often think when great writers die we are are the ones who loose too . oh well cant wait to finish it .
Oh, goodie! Then I take credit... even though I haven't read it yet. Ha!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
I'm reading Imperfect Justice - about the Casey Anthony trial, by Ashton. Sometimes books about crimes can be interesting, but this one isn't. I haven't read one thing I didn't know. When I'm done, I'll pass it off to my sister's boyfriend - he was very interested in the trial (he's a lawyer). I guess I was thinking there might be some behind-the-scenes insights into that weird woman, but there's nothing new in the book.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading Imperfect Justice - about the Casey Anthony trial, by Ashton. Sometimes books about crimes can be interesting, but this one isn't. I haven't read one thing I didn't know. When I'm done, I'll pass it off to my sister's boyfriend - he was very interested in the trial (he's a lawyer). I guess I was thinking there might be some behind-the-scenes insights into that weird woman, but there's nothing new in the book.
I do not care to read that book I think that stinkin woman should have spent the rest of her life in jail . I dont care to read anything about her end of story . I figured the book would be full of things that we did not know already .

Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM

92 posts, read 56,742 times
Reading Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Awesome books. Really enjoying it. I recommend everyone check it out.The Author is John Perkins.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,644 times
I'm becoming a fan of Australian writer Peter Carey. After enjoying "Parrot and Olivier in America", I'm now into "Oscar and Lucinda", which is also a good read. Those two novels are set a couple of centuries ago, and presented with a liberal dose of good humor and formal literary style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books