Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

okay finished the running withthe bulls and guess what ? the ending of it was boring but hey onto better things LOL take care all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay finished the running withthe bulls and guess what ? the ending of it was boring but hey onto better things LOL take care all .
Not taking credit for this anymore then...

Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I'm reading The Perfect Gentleman: A Muslim Boy Meets the West by Imran Ahmad, which had been previously published in the UK as Unimagined: A Muslim Boy Meets the West.

Easy read, but seems to have a little of everything: laughter, sadness, thought.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:51 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I gave up on Imperfect Justice not far from the end and sent it along with my sister for her boyfriend. The only thing that book did for me was remind me of how evil Casey Anthony is, and how tired I was of seeing one lie after another. Some people are just a waste of breath.

I started reading The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. He's the author of the "Mars" series. This book imagines what the world would look like if the Black Death had killed off 99 percent of the world's population instead of the 1/3 it actually killed. I'm not very far into it, and it is a thick book, but I like it so far. I also very much enjoyed the "Mars" series.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am now reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt. A memoir about life as an Irish immigrant family in the US that had to move back to the harsh conditions of Limerick Ireland in the 1930's.

Funny, I just listed Angela's Ashes in another thread as one of the books I've re-read and will be reading it for likely the third time. Loved, loved this book, as someone else said, sad, but written beautifully and with humor as well.

I hope you are enjoying the book as much as I and so many others have in the past. May Mr McCourt continue to RIP

================================================== ==============================

Presently reading Safe From The Neighbors, by Steve Yarbrough.
Next in line to read is, A Wake In Ybor City, by Rafael Yglesias, picked it up because it references a city I lived in and live not too far from now, so curious about the story line that occures there in the book. Will see if it holds my interest once I get through Steve Yarbrough's book.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Funny, I just listed Angela's Ashes in another thread as one of the books I've re-read and will be reading it for likely the third time. Loved, loved this book, as someone else said, sad, but written beautifully and with humor as well.

I hope you are enjoying the book as much as I and so many others have in the past. May Mr McCourt continue to RIP
I read that book so long ago but it stays with me. McCourt was a wonderful story teller. After Angela's Ashes he continued the story of his life with 'Tis. It is well worth a read. It's charming and very well written.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
Finally reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Enjoying it so far.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I read that book so long ago but it stays with me. McCourt was a wonderful story teller. After Angela's Ashes he continued the story of his life with 'Tis. It is well worth a read. It's charming and very well written.

Yes, TIS was a good read as well; after reading Angela's Ashes, I wanted to make sure I got my hands on the next book. McCourt was a special human being with a great gift as an author. At least one of his brothers had a book out, I believe I read it, but that was quite a while ago and unfortunately, I don't remember all the books I've read, even some of the ones that gave me great pleasure during the time I read them. And it's not because they weren't memorable, I just don't have the brain cells to retain that much info anymore.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:28 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I don't remember all the books I've read, even some of the ones that gave me great pleasure during the time I read them. And it's not because they weren't memorable, I just don't have the brain cells to retain that much info anymore.
I certainly can relate to that, TRosa! I have to admit that I've actually picked up and read major portions of a book, suddenly realizing that it was too familiar... and then further realize that I didn't recall what happens, so I will just read it again!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I certainly can relate to that, TRosa! I have to admit that I've actually picked up and read major portions of a book, suddenly realizing that it was too familiar... and then further realize that I didn't recall what happens, so I will just read it again!
Yep, that's happened to me at least a couple of times. In one case it was a book, I didn't care for the first time around, but the intro, sounded so intriguing, I was enticed to check it out. LOL At least I can blame it on a medical condition, so I don't feel too bad about it, even if it's more related to just an old brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books