Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 10:48 PM

288 posts, read 656,127 times

Advertisements

Great list, thanks for posting...

I have read 6 of the books on the list. The book that stands out the most is A brave new world. I read that book when I was a junior in high school, and then reread it when just a few years ago....I actually paid more attention to it the second time around. Great book.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 PM

211 posts, read 544,455 times
I am reading "DEAR JOHN" BY Nicholas Sparks. I love it.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,533 times
Hi Everyone! First time on the books forum & I'm getting some excellent suggestions for books. I have a huge number of books in boxes waiting to be read - have to make the time!

I have a question that hopefully someone out there can answer.

Someday, probably when I'm too old to enjoy it, I want to have a huge built-in book shelf. I have always wondered about any small critters that might eat away at books or the glue that binds them. Other than dusting/vacuuming the area, do books need any special care to prevent that?
Is there something specific I need to do to keep hard covers in good condition?

I have a 35 yr. old copy of the Secret Garden my sister gave me when I was little. I don't know if it's the story itself; or the fact that it was my "first" book that wasn't from the library; maybe it's because it was a gift from my then teenage sister. Whatever the reason - I want to preserve it & keep it out on the (as yet to be built) bookshelf. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
I am currently reading Anna Kerenina by Tolstoy. It's pretty good...I've been meaning to read it for years.

Shhhhh...don't tell me how it ends. (heh heh)

Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 24,257 times
I just finished "Catch Me If You Can" by Stan Redding. This is a non-fiction book about an ex-con artist named Frank Abagnale. I would recommend anyone to read it, it's easy, yet interesting. A little background... He pulled off as an airline pilot, a supervisor of a hospital, an assistant Attorney General, a Professor at an University and numerous roles.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I am currently reading Anna Kerenina by Tolstoy. It's pretty good...I've been meaning to read it for years.

Shhhhh...don't tell me how it ends. (heh heh)
I loooooved Anna Kerinina! First I listened to it on tape, which helped me know who was who. When I read it, it took me forever to finish. I didn't want *it* to happen!!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:59 AM

24 posts, read 73,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I've come out of bookstores empty handed in the last few months, there's nothing in fiction or non-fiction that is particularly appealing to me right now. I love anything that's credibly written to do with the Bible Codes, I've pretty much left politics and international relations on the back burners as I'm sick of Bush, Hillary Clinton, Rumsfeld, and all the gloom and doomers, the American Empire strategists, and all the Islamic apologists. There are no biographies that are catching my attention either. So I'm just bored with the lack of a selection that interests me right now. I really enjoy a very well written book where I can get drawn into the story as well as luxuriate over the way a book is written if the author or authoress is a master of English. I am floored and in awe of Anne Rice when she's up to top form. No book matches, in my opinion, the masterpiece of English that Interview with a Vampire did back in the early 80's. Just reading her word choices, sentences, paragraphs...it's spellbindingly beautiful. Stephen King is a poor writer in my opinion. He does have a good imagination, but his writing is disappointing and sometimes in my opinion amateurish. I find Dean Koontz very very good, and Brian Lumley too. If I'm reading a book and no matter who it's written by, if it's poorly written, I stop and put it away. I just can't get into it if I can't enjoy the writing too. One biography I'm eagerly awaiting actually is a new account of the real Marie Antoinette. It turns out there's substantial evidence that she was blackmailed by English gangs in London who wrote up the rumors about her, snuck them into France, and were paid off by Louis XVI until a pile of them were discovered in the Bastille and reprinted and then distributed throughout France. That mudslinging is what tarnished her reputation and was believed by the masses. There's even substantial evidence that she never uttered the words "let them eat cake" (cake being a lowgrade foodstuff). A good biography on her that bores through the inuendo and rumor would fascinate me, especially in light of what she had to endure if she was actually innocent of these rumors. So, right now I'm bookless...
I totally understand what you mean about Anne Rice. I don't much care for her subject matter, but I love to read her words. Have you read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein? You might try C. S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrigerator View Post
I just finished "Catch Me If You Can" by Stan Redding. This is a non-fiction book about an ex-con artist named Frank Abagnale. I would recommend anyone to read it, it's easy, yet interesting. A little background... He pulled off as an airline pilot, a supervisor of a hospital, an assistant Attorney General, a Professor at an University and numerous roles.

I think most of us have seen the movie. One of Speilburg's best recent films if you ask me.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
I just started The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and so far it is incredible!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Ted, White and Blue. Grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books