Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I've also used this system.
Me three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,759 times
Me four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
C, I discovered awhile ago that most libraries participate in an inter-library loan system. You request an inter-library loan, and they find the book through their network. Usually, you have to wait for them and you get only three weeks to read them -- no renewals, but I've been able to obtain any book -- some dating back to the early 1900s, as long as I was willing to wait for it. Talk to your librarian to see if they participate. If they don't, you might suggest they look into it. Most librarians I've talked to love it, because it extends THEIR resources, too.
Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I do use the inter-library loan program occasionally - I recently read Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon" using this service (which was a great book, by the way, I got the recommendation through this forum.

I get most of my books through the Overdrive Downloadable Audiobooks program through my library. This makes it more difficult as many of the books recommended here aren't available on audio (which is the main way I read books), or my library simply doesn't have them. For some reason, libraries don't do inter-library loan on audiobooks. My library is wonderful, and has bought a few audiobooks I have requested, but I can't do that for every book I want. So I just keep sorting through everybody's suggestions until I find one my library has. I was very happy to see they had yours.

Thanks again for the information.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Me four.

Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I do use the inter-library loan program occasionally - I recently read Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon" using this service (which was a great book, by the way, I got the recommendation through this forum.

I get most of my books through the Overdrive Downloadable Audiobooks program through my library. This makes it more difficult as many of the books recommended here aren't available on audio (which is the main way I read books), or my library simply doesn't have them. For some reason, libraries don't do inter-library loan on audiobooks. My library is wonderful, and has bought a few audiobooks I have requested, but I can't do that for every book I want. So I just keep sorting through everybody's suggestions until I find one my library has. I was very happy to see they had yours.

Thanks again for the information.
Same problem with the Kindle selection from OverDrive, sadly.

My librarian has told me to send all the requests that I want -- she'll order any one that IS available for Kindle. (In fact, a week or so ago, she sent me an email telling me that they were coming to the end of the budget year and wanted to use the rest of the money allotted, and could I please send her a list of Kindle books that I wanted. Hilarious, right?)

Is there a reason that you you "can't do that for every book" that you want? I think you should!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Same problem with the Kindle selection from OverDrive, sadly.

My librarian has told me to send all the requests that I want -- she'll order any one that IS available for Kindle. (In fact, a week or so ago, she sent me an email telling me that they were coming to the end of the budget year and wanted to use the rest of the money allotted, and could I please send her a list of Kindle books that I wanted. Hilarious, right?)

Is there a reason that you you "can't do that for every book" that you want? I think you should!
Perhaps I should - thank you.

Oddly, once I asked if they could add Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" to the Overdrive collection. They said they couldn't do that, but they could buy the CDs. I thought that was odd, as it is available on other library sites (I checked). I really need them to be the downloadable ones as I can rarely leave the house. They did buy them, which I thought was wonderful, but I guess it's just part of being a library.

I may just start asking and see how many I can get them to buy - maybe they haven't exhausted their budget yet, although I think with the advent of ebooks and the numbers of people that are now using them, the budget may get exhausted buying them instead of audiobooks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,530,507 times
The Wind Through The Keyhole - Stephen King's next Dark Tower installment. Not a continuation but like stepping back into the story for a bit. Kind of comfortable. Just getting started but it feels like I never left...

Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Time Baroness View Post
I don't want to give anything away for those who are reading or haven't read Outlander, but am I remembering correctly that there is a very brutal and disturbing scene toward the end? I can't seem to get past it when thinking of the book, though otherwise I thought the story and writing was wonderful. I keep wondering why Gabaldon included it. It seemed unnecessary. Just my two cents.
While it's been a while since I've read the first book, I do remember stuff being in the books that was brutal and disturbing, but I felt it was necessary as life was much harsher back then.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Quote:
I don't want to give anything away for those who are reading or haven't read Outlander, but am I remembering correctly that there is a very brutal and disturbing scene toward the end? I can't seem to get past it when thinking of the book, though otherwise I thought the story and writing was wonderful. I keep wondering why Gabaldon included it. It seemed unnecessary. Just my two cents.
If you are thinking of the part that was about the Rising-- the bloody effort to return Charles Stuart to the Throne of Scotland--I think that was included partly as illustrative of the time and partly how it tied in with the plot. Throughout the series there is a fair amount of brutality but that's the way life was in that era.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
This really is a spoiler below, don't read it if you want to read this book.

Spoiler
I think you are thinking of a scene towards the end between Jamie Fraser and Jack Randall where Randall repeatedly rapes and tortures Jamie. I agree, it was truly disturbing and I also believe unnecessary. It was possible to have Jamie conflicted about Randall without adding that element.

I also really liked "Outlander," but liked the second installment "Dragonfly in Amber" more. I've gotten stuck halfway through the third, "Voyager," and can't seem to pick it back up again. I think I read them too close together.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I also really liked "Outlander," but liked the second installment "Dragonfly in Amber" more. I've gotten stuck halfway through the third, "Voyager," and can't seem to pick it back up again. I think I read them too close together.
I think you are right with what you put into your "spoiler". I had forgotten about that. Actually, "suppressed" it is probably more accurate.

I first read Outlander when it was reissued about 7-8 years ago. I read it twice and was so enthralled I had to get the subsequent books on ebay so I could find out what happened next. I'm not much of a fiction fan but this is one fiction series that has me eagerly awaiting the next book. I had never read any time travel books before and although I've read a few since then, none has enraptured me the way the Outlander series has. I think the next one will be #8. Diana Gabaldon writes other books between the main series books which makes each subsequent book finished and on the market about 3 years later.

When Jane Auel came out with her Earth Children series, I loved the first 3 but there was such a loooooog span between the last 3 in the series (like 8 or more years), and the quality of her writing had declined so much, I didn't finish either of the last 2 books in that series.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,160 times
I stopped at the library today and picked up "The Chalk Girl", by Carol O'Connell. It's the latest entry in the series featuring the character "Mallory" and I'm looking forward to reading it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books