Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

I just finished Too Jewish by Patricia Friedman.

It's a very good book and full of info about the history of the Jewish community in New Orleans beginning in 1939. It's a work of fiction but it rang so true to me. The characters are fleshed out fully and I loved the good guys and detested the bad guys.

Basically the story is about a Jewish family in New Orleans. The author writes well and the book really is an easy read. It gives the reader lots of things to think about.

This book will stay with me forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Just finished Dinaw Mengestu's "How to Read the Air," (described earlier), and next up: "March Was Made of Yarn," a collection of works by authors about the devastation of Japan after the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown.

My mom's friend, Cynny, has two Japanese (adult) children that were affected in this terrible chain of events. Her daughter, Torrie, was taking the train home when the earthquake hit, and walked the remaining 100 miles to find that her father's apartment building (where she and her brother both had apartments) had been evacuated. Directed to the location of the refugee camp, she walked there. If you recall, it was still cold there -- snowing, in fact. They were keeping in touch with their mom via emails. They'd been sleeping on the ground, outdoors, in the cold. I could not even imagine.

Now, I hope to learn other's experiences, as well. Time will tell. 8)

Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
"March Was Made of Yarn," a collection of works by authors about the devastation of Japan after the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown.
Can't read it. I am just not in a good place emotionally to read about other's tragedies and catastrophes. I need a happy book. I need a happy life.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,928,096 times
I'm currently reading In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson and LOVING IT. Dude is so funny!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Im going to start Alice I am by Melanie Benjamin . She is the same lady who wrote the autobiography of mrs tom thumb . it is about Alice in wonderland telling the story of her life after she fell down the rabbit hole and it is told from the point of her being an elderly person . I hope it is good . take care all .

Old 06-22-2012, 07:15 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
I finished Heaven is For Real which I very much enjoyed, and I am now reading Auschwitz by Dr. Miklos Nyiszli.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 AM

I like strong female protagonists in a story, so I tend to pick up books with female protagonists, which is the only reason I picked up Taylor Stevens' "The Informationist" off the libraries "NEW READS" stand earlier this month. I don't normally go in for things in the "thriller" genre.

This one is starting off dramatically, with a prologue set four years earlier in which a man (possibly) escapes pursuers, at the expense of leaving a female behind to their machetes. (Thankfully, no other details beyond that -- as yet, at least to page 28, I cannot stomach graphic gore or gratuitous violence.)

The central character, called Monroe (Michael to her friends) is androgynous in her appearance, and apparently in her occupation and pastimes;toying with men is a hobby, when she's not riding her Ducate motorcycle over 100 mph, secretive missions across the globe are her occupation. It may end up being over the top, but until it "goes there" it is a nice diversion to life's petty antagonisms.

(Thanks, Ketabcha, you are a good friend.)

Deb

Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Same problem with the Kindle selection from OverDrive, sadly.

My librarian has told me to send all the requests that I want -- she'll order any one that IS available for Kindle. (In fact, a week or so ago, she sent me an email telling me that they were coming to the end of the budget year and wanted to use the rest of the money allotted, and could I please send her a list of Kindle books that I wanted. Hilarious, right?)

Is there a reason that you you "can't do that for every book" that you want? I think you should!
Pssst..... Here's a hint. Ask a friend in a large metropolitan area to let you use their public library account. Think NYC or Boston. They have tons more books for Kindle than my local library. And since they expire automatically there's no chance your friend could be on the hook for late fees.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Pssst..... Here's a hint. Ask a friend in a large metropolitan area to let you use their public library account. Think NYC or Boston. They have tons more books for Kindle than my local library. And since they expire automatically there's no chance your friend could be on the hook for late fees.
I love you!!!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I just thought of something, though... The Kindle is triggered by email address -- the email address that's associated to the Kindle and Amazon. When I check out a book from the library for Kindle, it takes me to my Amazon account. I can't be going into my friend's Amazon account to download the book that I checked out. I mean, *I* wouldn't do anything beyond downloading the book, but I'd feel uncomfy with anyone going into *my* Amazon account. Heck, my own husband isn't allowed into my Amazon account. Ha!

Do you know of a workaround for that?

ETA: I still love you for thinking of it, even if there's no workaround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books