Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 AM
 
11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Reputation: 21923

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just thought of something, though... The Kindle is triggered by email address -- the email address that's associated to the Kindle and Amazon. When I check out a book from the library for Kindle, it takes me to my Amazon account. I can't be going into my friend's Amazon account to download the book that I checked out. I mean, *I* wouldn't do anything beyond downloading the book, but I'd feel uncomfy with anyone going into *my* Amazon account. Heck, my own husband isn't allowed into my Amazon account. Ha!

Do you know of a workaround for that?

ETA: I still love you for thinking of it, even if there's no workaround.
I use the Overdrive app on my iPad to find, request and check out books. When I go into the Boston Public Library via Overdrive, it asks me to login and I enter my daughter's library card number and pin. When I requested a book the first time, it asked for an email address. I put in mine and now anytime I'm placing a hold it asks me to confirm my email address for notification. I believe that email address is saved in Overdrive as the Kindle email address. I looked at my daughter's info on her library account and it has her email not mine.

The other work around is to simply set yourself up a library account using your friend's address (with their permission, of course). There's certainly no issue with multiple people "living" at the same address having seperate library cards. Usually you can do so online. If you're a strictly law and order type, I also believe that many libraries will let you have a card even if you don't live in that area for a yearly fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I use the Overdrive app on my iPad to find, request and check out books. When I go into the Boston Public Library via Overdrive, it asks me to login and I enter my daughter's library card number and pin. When I requested a book the first time, it asked for an email address. I put in mine and now anytime I'm placing a hold it asks me to confirm my email address for notification. I believe that email address is saved in Overdrive as the Kindle email address. I looked at my daughter's info on her library account and it has her email not mine.

The other work around is to simply set yourself up a library account using your friend's address (with their permission, of course). There's certainly no issue with multiple people "living" at the same address having seperate library cards. Usually you can do so online. If you're a strictly law and order type, I also believe that many libraries will let you have a card even if you don't live in that area for a yearly fee.
I don't think this will work for me.

1. In my city, at least, you have to go to the library and show that you're a resident. I have no problem paying the fee (although I'm not a law and order type ), so I'll look into that.

2. I guess it's different with Kindle. Since it's so tied to Amazon, when you checkout, it takes you to your Amazon account -- or my friend's Amazon account, which I just don't feel comfy about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 AM
 
11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Reputation: 21923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I don't think this will work for me.

1. In my city, at least, you have to go to the library and show that you're a resident. I have no problem paying the fee (although I'm not a law and order type ), so I'll look into that.

2. I guess it's different with Kindle. Since it's so tied to Amazon, when you checkout, it takes you to your Amazon account -- or my friend's Amazon account, which I just don't feel comfy about.
I use a Kindle as well. I think the key is the Overdrive app. I'm pretty sure it saves an email address for Kindle download and when you check out, that's the email address it uses to get to Amazon. Not the one setup in the library patron's account.

The email address I setup in Overdrive is the one I use as my Amazon user I'd. If I lok at my daughter's account at the library, it has her email address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I use a Kindle as well. I think the key is the Overdrive app. I'm pretty sure it saves an email address for Kindle download and when you check out, that's the email address it uses to get to Amazon. Not the one setup in the library patron's account.

The email address I setup in Overdrive is the one I use as my Amazon user I'd. If I lok at my daughter's account at the library, it has her email address.
Exactly right... but I don't think I'd feel comfortable logging into my friends' Amazon accounts, even though the password field would be *****ed out. Not that I'd do anything or buy anything, but I don't feel comfy going into an account that's password-driven, even if I've been given permission. I'd feel like I'm snooping, even when I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
 
11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Reputation: 21923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Exactly right... but I don't think I'd feel comfortable logging into my friends' Amazon accounts, even though the password field would be *****ed out. Not that I'd do anything or buy anything, but I don't feel comfy going into an account that's password-driven, even if I've been given permission. I'd feel like I'm snooping, even when I'm not.
You wouldn't go to your friends Amazon account. My daughter and I both have Amazon accounts. Hers has her email as the user ID, mine has my email address. Even though I use her Library account to get into the Boston library, the Overdrive app on my iPad has my email address. When I check out a book, it's the Overdrive email account that is used so it opens my Amazon account not hers.

I can't say I completely understand how this works the way it does, but it does. My daughters library account shows the ebook.checked out to her, but it also shows in Manage my kindle in my Amazon account.

What I don't know is if there's an Overdrive web site where you could accomplish the same thing with a computer.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 06-23-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You wouldn't go to your friends Amazon account. My daughter and I both have Amazon accounts. Hers has her email as the user ID, mine has my email address. Even though I use her Library account to get into the Boston library, the Overdrive app on my iPad has my email address. When I check out a book, it's the Overdrive email account that is used so it opens my Amazon account not hers.

I can't say I completely understand how this works the way it does, but it does. My daughters library account shows the ebook.checked out to her, but it also shows in Manage my kindle in my Amazon account.

What I don't know is if there's an Overdrive web site where you could accomplish the same thing with a computer.
Ohhhhhh!!!!

Yeah, maybe I'll do a little digging next week for an OverDrive website, but now at least I get what you're saying in terms of the Amazon login.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Im going to start Alice I am by Melanie Benjamin . She is the same lady who wrote the autobiography of mrs tom thumb . it is about Alice in wonderland telling the story of her life after she fell down the rabbit hole and it is told from the point of her being an elderly person . I hope it is good . take care all .
This should have said Alice, I have been . take care all and I will be back to rate after I finish it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Reputation: 62766
I bought River of the Brokenhearted by David Adams Richards for my Kindle. I'm not sure why I bought it. It didn't sound like something I would be interested in. But, I'll confess that it only cost $3.50 and I figured I could afford to take the chance.

I'm about 60% through it.

I don't even know how to describe the writing style. It's much like writing from a different era and it is spectacular. This man can really express himself very well and I reread paragraphs from time to time because of the way he puts words together. Some writers have characters that all speak in the same voice. Not so in this book. Every character has his or her own manner of speaking.

The characters come to life on the page (Kindle screen). I am really enjoying the unfolding story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM
 
1,801 posts, read 3,553,509 times
Reputation: 2017
After giving up 50 Shades of Grey (I just couldn't go on, I was feeling embarrased for the author lol), I'm reading The King Must Die by Mary Renault.

Since I'm a serious lover of mythology and ancient history (Greek history in particular always captivates me), and I rather like Mary Renault, how unforgivable it is that it's only now that I'm reading one of her most famous novels.

As some of you may know, the story deals with Theseus. I've just finished "Book One: Troizen" and it's an enthralling novel, well-written (I had nearly forgotten what that is lol) and well-told.

Luckily, when I'm done with The King Must Die, its sequel (The Bull from the Sea) comes next!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 PM
 
1,738 posts, read 767,845 times
Reputation: 3529
Currently I am listening to the 3rd book in the series "50 Shades of Grey". Not sure why I am still listening to it aside from the fact that a lot of people are raving about it and said that the 3rd book is the best. Just started the 3rd book. Would I recommend any of the books in this series? NO!!! The writing is terrible..and it is just disgusting. I do not like this series. I will stick it out, so at least I can said I "read" it and try to understand what everyone is talking about. There are 3 other people at work that are listening to it right now as well. Two think like I do, and we just are wondering what are people loving about this book? The other person said she has been laughing about it the whole time, because of the writing, how ridiculous it is and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top