Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm 70% into War Brides and having a wonderful time with it. Usually when Boris the Kendle tells me I am nearly 3/4 into a book I start thinking of what I will read next. But I have to say that the 70% bothers me because I really don't want this book to end.

I never dreamed I would like it this much. I'm really not sure why I bought it. I think I was trying to recover from River of the Heartbroken (which is an excellent book but left me feeling somewhat maudlin). Gosh, look at those two titles. It sounds like I am into bodice rippers and I'm really not. LOL

I finally realized what author War Brides reminds me of. Maeve Binchey ala Circle of Friends. Anyway, I hope that does not scare anyone off. This is really a good book. The characters are well defined and funny/sad. I just can't put this one down. When I try to do some laundry or some other daily chore I can feel the book calling to me "I'm waiting. I have lots of susses (surprises) waiting for you. Come on back to Boris and read!"
I LOVE Maeve's books, and I am trying to figure out how to get one more book in queue! Sheesh.

I know what you mean about feeling maudlin after reading something. I am so impressionable -- it's embarrassing.

I wish I could get into using DH's Kindle -- since HE never does, but I always seem to prefer a real book.

Have a nice day! 8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 04:51 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Well, I didn't finish it. I thought Greenfield was going to discuss things from the point of view of an historian talking about the events and what might have happened. Instead, at least in the part I read, he set up the alternative events and then narrated them with imagined dialogue and reactions. I just didn't like the format.
Thanks for the review, Marlow. I guess I was thinking more along the line you were thinking, so maybe that books not really for me, either. Happy reading, anyway!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
I just finished re-reading the Harry Potter series for the 6th(?) time, which is why I've been M.I.A. from this forum for awhile. I just adore those books. They are such a comfort to me, and I read them probably every year-and-a-half or so. I also always want to re-read them right after I finished them. Pretty crazy, really, as I'm 30-something and am more of a non-fiction reader than anything. Oh, well! You love what you love!

I just started In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. I enjoyed his Devil in the White City and I hope I like this one just as much.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:28 PM

26 posts, read 32,380 times
E L James's Fifty Shades of Gray Book 2 Fifty Shades Darker

Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm 70% into War Brides and having a wonderful time with it. Usually when Boris the Kendle tells me I am nearly 3/4 into a book I start thinking of what I will read next. But I have to say that the 70% bothers me because I really don't want this book to end.

I never dreamed I would like it this much. I'm really not sure why I bought it. I think I was trying to recover from River of the Heartbroken (which is an excellent book but left me feeling somewhat maudlin). Gosh, look at those two titles. It sounds like I am into bodice rippers and I'm really not. LOL

I finally realized what author War Brides reminds me of. Maeve Binchey ala Circle of Friends. Anyway, I hope that does not scare anyone off. This is really a good book. The characters are well defined and funny/sad. I just can't put this one down. When I try to do some laundry or some other daily chore I can feel the book calling to me "I'm waiting. I have lots of susses (surprises) waiting for you. Come on back to Boris and read!"
That sounds like a good book. I love Maeve Binchey! I don't usually like the endings all wrapped up perfectly, but, she makes you want her characters to end up with everything perfect at the end.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
That sounds like a good book. I love Maeve Binchey! I don't usually like the endings all wrapped up perfectly, but, she makes you want her characters to end up with everything perfect at the end.
True. Most times I don't see how it could all work out so perfectly but it does. Light A Penny Candle was the first book I was given to review by the book editior of the newspaper. After I read it I made a point to read everything she writes. I know she "retired" a few years ago but changed her mind. I'm so glad she did. She is one author I would love to meet. I think she has a glad heart.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
I just finished re-reading the Harry Potter series for the 6th(?) time, which is why I've been M.I.A. from this forum for awhile. I just adore those books. They are such a comfort to me, and I read them probably every year-and-a-half or so. I also always want to re-read them right after I finished them. Pretty crazy, really, as I'm 30-something and am more of a non-fiction reader than anything. Oh, well! You love what you love!

I just started In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. I enjoyed his Devil in the White City and I hope I like this one just as much.
I love the Harry Potter books, too. I've read them 3 times. You are way ahead of me.

I didn't care much for Devil in the White City but I really enjoyed In the Garden of Beasts. That is one book I will never get rid of. I plan to read it again in the future.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Last night I finished reading "Interpreter of maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri, (thank you, Dawn, for the recommend -- she is THAT good), and when I closed the book I felt like I was leaving behind people I had come to know and would miss knowing more of them.

This was a Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction, in 2000. Each of the nine stories is told from a unique perspective of new characters, all somehow connected with Indian life, though staged in a variety of locations. Some are from a youthful protagonist, others from aged, some male, some female, one from an anonymous "we." Each was charming in its own right, though they were not all a joyful experience. I read of joys, heartbreaks, loneliness, abuse, betrayal, and pettiness -- all of which were so artfully described that I forgot I was reading. This author has a gift, and is an artist in her stories.

Now, back to my Income Tax homework.... but after that, I have her only novel, "The Namesake" waiting, along with her other book of shorts: "Unaccustomed Earth." More on those, later.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
I'd delved back into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Hoping to get caught up by the time the final book comes out early next year.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Last night I finished reading "Interpreter of maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri, (thank you, Dawn, for the recommend -- she is THAT good), and when I closed the book I felt like I was leaving behind people I had come to know and would miss knowing more of them.

This was a Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction, in 2000. Each of the nine stories is told from a unique perspective of new characters, all somehow connected with Indian life, though staged in a variety of locations. Some are from a youthful protagonist, others from aged, some male, some female, one from an anonymous "we." Each was charming in its own right, though they were not all a joyful experience. I read of joys, heartbreaks, loneliness, abuse, betrayal, and pettiness -- all of which were so artfully described that I forgot I was reading. This author has a gift, and is an artist in her stories.

Now, back to my Income Tax homework.... but after that, I have her only novel, "The Namesake" waiting, along with her other book of shorts: "Unaccustomed Earth." More on those, later.
Thanks to Dawn, I was turned on to Lahiri last year. I generally don't care for short stories but Maladies quickly became the exception to the rule for me. I really loved that book. I think you will like The Namesake, too. I get so lost in her books because they seem so true to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books