Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thanks to Dawn, I was turned on to Lahiri last year. I generally don't care for short stories but Maladies quickly became the exception to the rule for me. I really loved that book. I think you will like The Namesake, too. I get so lost in her books because they seem so true to me.
Yes, I felt the same, but Dawn the wonder reader put me onto Lahiri in a recent post. I started "The Namesake" over lunch and am already hooked. She has a way of putting just the right words together to show a whole realm. (The author, I mean. Of course, Dawn is pretty magnificent, too! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'd delved back into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Hoping to get caught up by the time the final book comes out early next year.
Odd to be quoting my own post, but someone sent a message wanting to know more about the Wheel of Time series. In brief, it's Tolkien without the boring parts. Robert Jordan released the first book back in the late 80's/early 90's, with the intention of it being a trilogy (the publisher, knowing Jordan's tendency to run long, contracted for 6 books). By the time it's all said and done, the series will run to 14 books, with the final 3 being finished from the author's notes by Brandon Sanderson after Mr. Jordan's death. The final book is scheduled to be release in January 2013.

The series has all the elements of high fantasy, but without the formulaic writing that seems to be prevalent in the genre (if you've ever read David Eddings, you'll understand that comment. I loved Eddings' tales, but they pretty much all followed the same pattern). Jordan created a rich, detailed world and populated it with fantastic characters. Even secondary characters have developed back stories by the time you get toward the end of the series.

I'm an avid reader of fantasy, with a collection of 400+ books in the genre, and WOT is absolutely one of the best series I've read. Highly recommended.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Odd to be quoting my own post, but someone sent a message wanting to know more about the Wheel of Time series. In brief, it's Tolkien without the boring parts.
Not weird to me, I do it all the time, especially when I announce that I am reading a book, and then later come back to share what I read, because I like to the books page in the announcement. For some strange reason, it helps me to appreciate a book more if I understand its "back story" and the author a bit more.

Thanks for the info. I love occasional dips into fantasy, and since I didn't experience any boredom with Tolkien, or CS Lewis, I will probably love Jordon's work.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:50 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times
I'm rereading all of the current The Walking Dead graphic novels, including The Rise of the Governor.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I'm rereading all of the current The Walking Dead graphic novels, including The Rise of the Governor.
I found The Rise of the Governor to be the best of the lot.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Last night I finished reading "Interpreter of maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri, (thank you, Dawn, for the recommend -- she is THAT good), and when I closed the book I felt like I was leaving behind people I had come to know and would miss knowing more of them.

This was a Pulitzer Prize winner for fiction, in 2000. Each of the nine stories is told from a unique perspective of new characters, all somehow connected with Indian life, though staged in a variety of locations. Some are from a youthful protagonist, others from aged, some male, some female, one from an anonymous "we." Each was charming in its own right, though they were not all a joyful experience. I read of joys, heartbreaks, loneliness, abuse, betrayal, and pettiness -- all of which were so artfully described that I forgot I was reading. This author has a gift, and is an artist in her stories.

Now, back to my Income Tax homework.... but after that, I have her only novel, "The Namesake" waiting, along with her other book of shorts: "Unaccustomed Earth." More on those, later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, I felt the same, but Dawn the wonder reader put me onto Lahiri in a recent post. I started "The Namesake" over lunch and am already hooked. She has a way of putting just the right words together to show a whole realm. (The author, I mean. Of course, Dawn is pretty magnificent, too! )
Awww, thanks!!! I'm so glad that you liked it so much and are enjoying The Namesake. I'm sure that you're going to love Unaccustomed Earth just as much as Interpreter of Maladies. I did!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
50 Shades Darker
Im hooked! E L James is quite the author

Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I'm reading Rules of Civility by Amor Towles and recommended by several people here. It's wonderful. Can't wait to get back to it, but don't want it to end.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
love the walking dead series comics and the show.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber18 View Post
50 Shades Darker
Im hooked! E L James is quite the author
your kidding right????? do you read much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books