Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,339 times

Advertisements

I've almost finished "The Handmaid's Tail" by Margaret Atwood. Super cheerful book, that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
I've almost finished "The Handmaid's Tail" by Margaret Atwood. Super cheerful book, that.
Were you being facitious, or is it really cheerful and you are sorry it's almost over?

Margaret is an author I keep meaning to read, but never have, yet. Do you recommend her?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
I really liked The Handmaid's Tale. But, it is a downer.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
25 pages into "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian" by Sherman Alexie. Is this for real? Somebody tell me if anything happens that will redeem this POS if I keep on reading. He writes like a tenth grader, apparently trying to be funny or clever or something, and it's not. Not even mildly amusing. Why is everybody raving about this book and giving it major awards and praising this guy as a break-through author? Are we so desperate to publish and praise minority writers, that this is what we now have to endure in the name of equal-opportunity publishing? I have to go all the way back to the library again tomorrow to get rid of this thing, and find something to read.
The writing does not change in the book. This was his first Young Adult Book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was hysterical and it is semiautobiographical. He did grow up on an Indian reservation.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Were you being facitious, or is it really cheerful and you are sorry it's almost over?

Margaret is an author I keep meaning to read, but never have, yet. Do you recommend her?

Yes, sorry, I was being facetious. I can't say I liked the book because of the story, but it was well written and held my attention.

I think it's one of those important books to read, like 1984, and Brave New World. I could start a new thread with a discussion for it, I'm sure it's one that has been debated many, many times.

Definitely recommended if you care to read about fictional dystopian societies as I do from time to time. Not recommended as some easy fluff reading. And no, definitely not cheerful.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Ready to start "Divisadero" by Michael Ondaatje. I liked his "Anil's Ghost OK, gave it a B.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Yes, sorry, I was being facetious. I can't say I liked the book because of the story, but it was well written and held my attention.

I think it's one of those important books to read, like 1984, and Brave New World. I could start a new thread with a discussion for it, I'm sure it's one that has been debated many, many times.

Definitely recommended if you care to read about fictional dystopian societies as I do from time to time. Not recommended as some easy fluff reading. And no, definitely not cheerful.
No need to apologize -- I just couldn't tell for sure. (I'm not very good with subtleties.) I will definitely read it, after this recommend. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ready to start "Divisadero" by Michael Ondaatje. I liked his "Anil's Ghost OK, gave it a B.
I was thinking I'd read "Anil's Ghost," but after reading Wikipedia's write up on it, I don't think so now. I did read his "The English Patient" and absolutely LOVED it.

BTW -- I am retracting what I said about Adam's "Mercy Among the Children." Adams still has some quirky lines, but the character Sydney has such a keen perception of what motivates peoples' mean-spirited acts that I am now compelled to read more, just to know this character better.

Meanwhile, class studies and homework are seriously cutting into my reading time!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really liked The Handmaid's Tale. But, it is a downer.
I really liked it too! Other novels by Margaret Atwood that I really enjoyed: "Oryx and Crake" and its companion book, "The Year of the Flood".

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I am currently reading I Am Number Four. I've been all over the place in genres right now, so it comes as no surprise that I wanted to read a YA sci fi.

I will also agree that I enjoyed Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. I also read The Blind Assassin. It was hard to get through it even though I enjoyed it.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Two actually: The Encyclopdia of Spells and Magical Herbs, Potions and Oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books