Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

I finished Great Plains by Ian Frazier and am now reading On the Rez by the same author. It is a much more interesting book, I think, possibly because the great plains as a subject matter, is more than one book's worth, and On the Rez is more narrow in scope and Frazier goes into more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 07:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,500 times
The Man In The High Castle, finally. Outstanding!

And about to crack open Gravity's Rainbow...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I finished Becoming Sister Wives and really enjoyed it. It helps that I like he show, too. The book explains about the 5 Browns and what their lives were like as kids and up to and including their current lives.

It's well written and I believe it to be honest.

I'm now reading Joyce Carol Oates book Patricide.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM

461 posts, read 796,561 times
The Emperor of All Maladies - a biography of cancer, very interesting.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM

74 posts, read 72,974 times
I got a hundred pages through Fifty Shades of Grey and had to put it down. What am I not getting here? First of all, the writing is terrible! Those first one hundred pages are basically:
Oh my god, there's Christian Grey.
Oh my god, he's looking at me.
I can't believe Christian Grey said that to me.
Holy S___!
Christian Grey is so hot.
Christian Grey is so sexy.
Holy S___!
Then they have sex, and frankly, it was rather clinical. I'm not against steamy scenes. I'm a writer myself, and do add a little steaminess to my books, but this was truly too much information. I didn't go on to the S&M bits, because I just didn't want to know.
I say, if you want good erotica, read Anais Nin. I don't know what all the furor is about with these Grey books. Forgive me, I don't mean to be inappropriate, but all the hype is just that...hype.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 AM

103 posts, read 80,071 times
The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen. I am just getting started with it, but I like it so far.

I recently finished Dear Senator by Essie Mae Washington-Williams. I cannot imagine keeping my paternity such a secret.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WittNCCU View Post
The Secrets of Mary Bowser by Lois Leveen. I am just getting started with it, but I like it so far.
Oooh! I have that (and 57 other books ) loaded onto my Kindle. I hadn't heard anything about it before you posted. It sounded good based on the Amazon blurb, though, so I got it. I don't know when I'll get a chance to bite into it, but it's good to hear that someone is liking it (aside from all those Amazon reviewers, who could be friends of the author ).

Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM

103 posts, read 80,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oooh! I have that (and 57 other books ) loaded onto my Kindle. I hadn't heard anything about it before you posted. It sounded good based on the Amazon blurb, though, so I got it. I don't know when I'll get a chance to bite into it, but it's good to hear that someone is liking it (aside from all those Amazon reviewers, who could be friends of the author ).

I first heard about it via FB in the side blurbs; the author is on FB so I liked her page and read up on her character who really existed. You're right, the blurb did entice me to read it. I hope to finish it by next week. Normally I would read faster, but am juggling a summer school class.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WittNCCU View Post

I first heard about it via FB in the side blurbs; the author is on FB so I liked her page and read up on her character who really existed. You're right, the blurb did entice me to read it. I hope to finish it by next week. Normally I would read faster, but am juggling a summer school class.
Oh, gosh, I haven't picked up a book in WEEKS. That's totally unlike me -- I always have a book in progress. Just too many other things squished into my little brain, not leaving enough room (or time) to read even a single page.

Good luck with school. I'm looking forward to hearing how you liked this book once you finish it.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
I'm in the middle of a few books (I keep getting bored and switching)
-Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
-The Complete Tightwad Gazette (more of a read a few pages at a time, rather than read for hours on end)
-Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill
-The Kite Runner
-Deluxe: How Luxury Lost it's Luster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books