Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Odd to be quoting my own post, but someone sent a message wanting to know more about the Wheel of Time series. In brief, it's Tolkien without the boring parts. Robert Jordan released the first book back in the late 80's/early 90's, with the intention of it being a trilogy (the publisher, knowing Jordan's tendency to run long, contracted for 6 books). By the time it's all said and done, the series will run to 14 books, with the final 3 being finished from the author's notes by Brandon Sanderson after Mr. Jordan's death. The final book is scheduled to be release in January 2013.

The series has all the elements of high fantasy, but without the formulaic writing that seems to be prevalent in the genre (if you've ever read David Eddings, you'll understand that comment. I loved Eddings' tales, but they pretty much all followed the same pattern). Jordan created a rich, detailed world and populated it with fantastic characters. Even secondary characters have developed back stories by the time you get toward the end of the series.

I'm an avid reader of fantasy, with a collection of 400+ books in the genre, and WOT is absolutely one of the best series I've read. Highly recommended.
Thanks, JimRom! I got the prequel, "New Spring: The novel" from the library a bit ago, and though I don't have much brain capacity beyond my current school studies -- this seems like a nice break. I just finished the first chapter over lunch today, and now that I cannot look at one more word in my Cost Accounting, I am settling in for some other world fantasy.(I don't know if I will stick through the full series, but so far, so good.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,200 times
Hunger Games.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 PM

220 posts, read 282,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
People Who Eat Darkness The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished from the Streets of Tokyo--and the Evil That Swallowed Her Up
I put that one on my to-read list after reading the NYTimes review. I'm interested in hearing how you liked it after you finish. Happy Reading!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I am still enjoying Jordan's "New Spring," but it isn't my choice for evening reading. I am still impressionable even in my older years. So, Dawn, I've picked up "Unaccustomed Earth" by Jhumpa Lahiri and the first story is: "Unaccustomed Earth."

She has such a way with words. Each one paints such a full picture. In just a sentence, it seems I've read a whole story!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
In between busyness (I have a new puppy), I've been alternating between On the Rez by Ian Frazier and The Years of Rice and Salt by by Kim Stanley Robinson. Neither of the books is a fast read but that's okay. I seem to be in my slow book mode anyway and wanting to read things that give me real ideas to think about rather than reading for pure entertainment.

The last couple of days (well, maybe 'times' is a better word since I have been busy) I've been reading more of the Kim Stanley Robinson book. People who don't like details probably won't like this book but it has the kind of details I really like. Although its premise is dystopian (what if 99 percent of the world's population had died during the Black Death and that 99 percent seems to be the western world), it focuses on the eastern world and how the eastern world, China in particular, rebuilds the world, and how China would have had the influence on world history that the west has had.

The way the author goes about that is unusual in that another focus of the book is reincarnation, and he explores different aspects of the eastern way of thinking through the same characters who are reincarnated in various lifetimes (it allows the author to move the story forward while maintaining a sense of continuity) as he moves through his imagined world of the Chinese and other eastern nations discovering the New World, and other scientific principles.

The fact that the protagonists are the same people in different bodies, continually learning about the world is what allows the reader to care what happens to them.

On the Rez maybe should be required reading for anyone in N. America, giving insight into what is sadly a hidden part of of N. American life for many of us.

And I'm thinking that after I finish these two books, I might go back to Shantaram after all. I was just totally disheartened after my beagle died, but I did find the book exceptional in the same way I find The Years of Rice and Salt exceptional and I think The Years of Rice and Salt, being similar in its attention to detail has renewed my interest in Shantaram.

I've temporarily stopped buying new books in order to cut down on my to-read stack.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I finished The Chaperone (by Laura Moriarty) last night. Good story. Some of it -- including one of the main characters (Louise Brooks) -- is real, which made the story more interesting to me. I didn't research what was real and what wasn't after I finished it; I didn't want to know. It was just a good, solid story.

I have 57 books that I want to read on my Kindle, including The Undertow and How to Read the Air (thanks, LookingForMayberry!). I also have the three Rick Bragg books that some of you were raving about. One of them, the first one -- All Over But the Shoutin' -- is not on my Kindle but in paper. And despite my Kindle-love, I kept leafing through the pages of All Over But the Shoutin', drawn to it. And then I read the prologue. And I'm done -- I'm sucked in; his writing is magical. That's what I'm reading now -- All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
I read One True Theory of Love by Laura Fitzgerald. I liked. Kind of romance chick lit type. It wasn't a typical romance novel though. I tried to read Empire of Blue Water by someone I can't remember and am too lazy to go looking for. I just couldn't get into it. I'm now reading Fields of Grace by Kim Vogel Sawyer.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:34 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,373 times
Quote:
I don't know what all the furor is about with these Grey books.
A- I'd venture a guess that those obsessed with them don't read true erotica (Jackie Collins and Harlequin romances don't count) so the sex seems spicy in comparison to what they've read, what they've personally done, what they've felt or all 3
B-It's Twilight fast forwarded 10 years except swap rich vampires with just plain rich, one of whom is into BDSM. Also subtract Twilight's extended angst, extensive backstory on every character and the love triangle (unless you count every man who meets the Bella/Anna character and falls into instant lust with her, but she just doesn't see it cuz she's so plain!)
C- It's a quick easy, mind numbing, IQ dropping read except for a sprinkling of clearly British words and phrases
D- It's pure fantasy and touches that Calgon take me away/Pretty Woman fantasy that I honestly believe many woman feel or have felt at one time (but will deny, deny, deny if you ask them):
Filthy rich hot man (that we're told no less than 200 times) meets beautiful but thinks she's a plain Jane virgin (that we're told no less than 200 times) and hilarity ensues. Well not hilarity but:

Filthy rich man who has had many lovers falls head over heels like never before with this particular plain Jane virgin and showers her with over the top gifts

Filthy rich man has lifelong issues and behaviors, that are magically fixed/reversed just like that all because of plain Jane

Filthy rich man's family adores plain jane because they were worried that their rich, hot, 28 year old son/brother/grandson never bought a girl home to meet them so he must be in for a lonely life

Plain Jane stays with filthy rich man even though he only drops oh 3 of his 3,000 or so a sshole behaviors that he exhibits up until the last page of the triloy, but it's okay with plain Jane virgin because his "oh my" is so hot she ignores the 2,997 other reasons she should run, not walk away from him.

They both come close to death a couple times and viola they live happily ever after knowing each other for about a month even though plain Jane is still being bothered by his past and his issues, but "down there" is so good and they're moving into a 20,000 square foot house so who cares?

The end

Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 AM

577 posts, read 992,283 times
While browsing at my library, I saw a new book collecting the old "Pogo" comic strips which ran in newspapers for many years. On a whim I grabbed it and am now reading it. It's actually quite enjoyable. The author Walt Kelly is an excellent writer for this kind of comic strip. Pretty well done.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I've got to say that I'm well past the prologue of All Over But the Shoutin' -- I'm one-third done, actually -- and it's terrific. I love how Rick Bragg "speaks." I just want to grab his family into a big group hug.

I hate to note this but it's been an annoyance: There have been three instances so far when words have been written twice ("would would') but I *know* that's not Bragg's fault. It's just a petty annoyance that doesn't take away from the story that he's telling.

Also bugging me: His excessive use of commas. It's very distracting and makes it more difficult to read. But still... the story is the story... and it's a good one.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-22-2012 at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books