Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 AM

684 posts, read 824,910 times

Advertisements

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

This is a wonderful, incredible book that I hope one day becomes a film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The son's book ... made me want to vomit and cuss.
So, tell us what you really think!

(K' and D': I am glad I am not the only one that gets so emotionally caught up with her authors!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

This is a wonderful, incredible book that I hope one day becomes a film.
I absolutely LOVE Terry Pratchett and would personally watch everything he's written, were some deep-pocketed person give his works the attention they deserve. I think his discworld series is the best fantasy or comedy I've ever read. Now you've piqued my interest in this collaborative work. Thanks!

That's it for me for awhile, folks, back to the books! (Just got through the Cost Accounting for this week on a wing and a prayer! Next up: Income Tax quiz and exam preparation. Wish me luck!)

Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

That's it for me for awhile, folks, back to the books! (Just got through the Cost Accounting for this week on a wing and a prayer! Next up: Income Tax quiz and exam preparation. Wish me luck!)
Best of luck to you!!!!!!

PS. I might start How to Read the Air tomorrow, at your recommendation.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Ketabcha and I both read Beautiful Boy and loved it. I understand that the son's books are not as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Beautiful Boy is, well, it's beautiful and heartbreaking. The son wrote his own story after the father's story was published. I did not know the son had written a second book.

Honestly, the sadness of Beautiful Boy is so well told. It is obvious that the author is a journalist. It just tore me up. The son't book is not worth the time it takes to read it. It made me want to vomit and cuss.
Vomit and cuss? Eeek! I read similar things about the son's book as well, so I won't bother.

But the heartache of a parent is like no other and Sheff writes about it beautifully.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 937,087 times
Reading Himmler's War. Its a novel about if Hitler had been killed in an air strike and Himmler had taken over Germany.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I just finished People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Parry. What an excellent nonfiction book.

Thanks for mentioning it, Jess5. It is because of you that I read it.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
halfway through, and highly recommended. . . .this new novel is a real "page turner", as well as being "out of the ordinary" in other ways:

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin. Finally made it through the first 4 volumes of the Fire and Ice series again. Love these books! Great author!

Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
"The Betrothed" by Manzoni. Great read!

(I recommend the translation sold by Penguin Books).

Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
[quote=DandJ;25300619]I finished All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg while I ate my lunch today. I never do that, but I really wanted to know the ending. Now I'm sad that it's over. The good news? I have Ava's Man and The Prince of Frogtown -- two other memoirs by Rick Bragg -- on my Kindle. But I need a Bragg break. As great as he is, his story is emotionally draining (and I suspect it of the other two as well).

I read all 3 of those by Rick Bragg and really loved them. It was quite a while ago so I don't remember too clearly now but I know I really enjoyed them; found them very good reads and just amazing stories. I might have posted about them a long time ago but am too lazy to "search". I think I adored the first 2, but maybe Prince of Frogtown a little less (Still worth reading though!-enjoy)
I am back on the thread because I am having a hard time reading and was looking for some great reads similar to those 3 books which were pretty much effortless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books