Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 10:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I'm going to see if our library has this.

I'm reading a Louis Lamour book, Fair Blows the Wind, for Book Club. Not my favorite. We did another book of his a few years ago....can I be done now??

Also reading Room. It is very interesting. In fact, if my Book Club weren't so queasy, I think it would make for a good discussion. But am I alone if thinking they ripped off Jacey Duggard?
My father got into Louis Lamour books after his heart attack. I read some of them, too. Surprisingly I learned a lot of interesting things from those book about the history of the US West. I enjoyed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Just finished 'The Book Thief' amazing read. An eye opener to see a different perspective.
By far one of my favorite books!

Old 07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
I am re-reading Andre Gide's "The Immoralist." I wish I had kept a journal at the time I first read it. I can vaguely recall that my reaction those many years ago was one of being awed, and I think one thing that was (over)awing me was the rather prominent part that Marcel's experimentation with homosexual sex made on me.

It's probably about fifty years since I first read the book, and that aspect of it seems to be having a much lesser impact. Perhaps because I have just finished reading Nietzsche's "Twilight of the Gods," Gide's book seems less sexually sensational and a good deal broader.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Well, I lied when I said I wasn't buying more books until I had whittled down my to-read stack. Hubby wanted a certain book from Amazon, and in the process of ordering that book for him, of course I had to buy at least $25 worth to qualify for the free shipping, and also naturally, how on earth does anyone seriously expect me to order them a book, and not browse for myself? And also of course, orders never come out to just $25 anyway....

What I was wondering was whether anyone here has read Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner. It was highly praised and came out in 1968.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,087 times
How the Economy grows and why it crashes by Peter Schiff.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick. It has been really interesting so far. Mitnick is one intelligent con-man.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Ya know, for a long time I've been scribbling down titles that I see here on a pad by the comp...well (you see where I'm going, don't you?) someone "moved" it... soooo, could you all please, neatly & orderly, recap all those that interested me???

I just read Room. It was a quick read, & not quite what I was expecting. I actually found it ...uh, refreshing...yeah, the premise is depressing, but it's a love story of a boy & his mom.

Which led me to check out Jaycee Dugard's book. I read half of it last night. I think she's very brave to bear all in writing.

Also have been trying to read Dostovesky's The Idiot. I love Russian lit. I just think that I need to focus more on it if I"m going to read it. Maybe I'll try it in the fall.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Just finished The Last Jump- A Story of WWII. Great and I hated to see it end. Kind of surprised but I'm into a bunch of WWII history stuff lately. Read up on Valkyrie all day yesterday. In this book I just breeze thru the weaponry talk but I did get a world map out to try to follow the particular battles and watched some videos online about D Day, Battle of the Bulge. Why I all of a sudden am interested in WWII is a mystery but I do know I want to read Brokaw's Greatest Generation soon. Due to vision problems, my reading is limited to what I can get on my Kindle. That has been a life saver for me. DH downloads all the free books from Amazon for me and I just decide what I want to read after a chapter or two.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,221 times
just finished "Sister Wives'. . . .interesting, but not really much "new" information, if you are watching the series on TLC. ready to start "Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichel. Has anyone else read "Gone Girl" yet? It really is a facinating book and I would love to hear what you think about it.

D

Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola[B
]Ya know, for a long time I've been scribbling down titles that I see here on a pad by the comp...well (you see where I'm going, don't you?) someone "moved" it... soooo, could you all please, neatly & orderly, recap all those that interested me???[/b]

I just read Room. It was a quick read, & not quite what I was expecting. I actually found it ...uh, refreshing...yeah, the premise is depressing, but it's a love story of a boy & his mom.

Which led me to check out Jaycee Dugard's book. I read half of it last night. I think she's very brave to bear all in writing.

Also have been trying to read Dostovesky's The Idiot. I love Russian lit. I just think that I need to focus more on it if I"m going to read it. Maybe I'll try it in the fall.
You know, the same darned thing happened to me. My list is gone There may be a list thief making the rounds. It all seems highly suspicious and more than a coincidence to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books