Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well -- I can see where it could get on your nerves -- really I can -- it's just that sometimes my brain just falters and it's easy to consolidate punctuation use -- ya know?

Hey, girlfriend, did you finish the "Air" book? Or toss it to the curb?
I'm having such a miserable time. Me and books -- we're just not getting along. I get like this when the books that I most want to read are the ones that are not in possession yet, and everything that I *do* have on-hand sounds icky.

Yeah, How to Read the Air. What happened with me and THAT one? I got about halfway through it and then, BAM! I just stopped feeling it. I didn't connect to any of the four characters. I mean, I'm not one of those readers who needs to LIKE a character, I just want to KNOW them so that I can understand why they're doing that, or saying this. And, I didn't know any of those four characters... so I didn't care. I felt crappy about it because the writing was GOOD. It just wasn't enough to keep me going.

And--that's been me--(lover of the Em Dash--when it makes sense)--these last few weeks--in a--nutshell.

Smartypants, LFM! That's why I love ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Oh, and by the way, Asher Lev can kiss my ash. I'm not in the mood for the HEAVY.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Fortune's Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt by Arthur T. Vanderbilt

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yeah, How to Read the Air. What happened with me and THAT one? I got about halfway through it and then, BAM! I just stopped feeling it. I didn't connect to any of the four characters. I mean, I'm not one of those readers who needs to LIKE a character, I just want to KNOW them so that I can understand why they're doing that, or saying this. And, I didn't know any of those four characters... so I didn't care. I felt crappy about it because the writing was GOOD. It just wasn't enough to keep me going.
I totally get it -- got it, about the same point, probably. I nearly put it down, but I did keep going. It was beautifully written. At the end I was glad I finished it. I don't want to spoil it for someone else so I won't spill a spoiler here, but the end does redeem the middle.

(I had a sense the author lost his way for awhile, and then found it, again, in the telling of it. I think the same thing was true of the character. Weird.

I JUST finished Jordan's prequel to the Wheel of Time series, "New Spring: the novel." As I was reading it I kept thinking: "this is written for a young man -- no, it can't be because the protagonist is a young woman." I have to admit I was cynical of the author after seeing his photo at the back. What well-adjusted person not overly full of himself has a black and white photo taken of himself in a black hat, dark glasses, and a black leather jacket -- sporting a full beard and over-sized rings.

If I saw this guy near a playground, I would contact the school. I don't think I will spend much time looking for any other of his works, no matter how much someone might rave about them.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Well -- I can see where it could get on your nerves -- really I can -- it's just that sometimes my brain just falters and it's easy to consolidate punctuation use -- ya know?

Hey, girlfriend, did you finish the "Air" book? Or toss it to the curb?
LOL. I use dots.......to join things when I am having a brain fart preventing me from doing anything else.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Going to start 'A thousand splendid suns' after I liked the kite runner.
I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns much more.
I started reading Gone Girl, or is it Girl Gone? I've just read a few pages.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Quote:
Oh, and by the way, Asher Lev can kiss my ash. I'm not in the mood for the HEAVY.
Oh, I just read it & enjoyed it! But it definately started out dark & dreary.

I'm reading Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. About a third in, I think I like it...I'm wondering if it would be good for Book Club.

Just read Room, followed by Jaycee Dugard's A Stolen Life.

Thousand Splendid Suns was very good... didn't we have a discussion on it here?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 AM

I'm reading The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen. I'm 25% in. Good book.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
... reading Gone Girl, or is it Girl Gone? I've just read a few pages.
Could be either. The truly maddening thing to me about the publishing industry -- and business for that matter, is the ability to name a book (or business) the same as another.

I found "Gone Girl," by Gillian Flynn and "Girl Gone," by Jacquelyn Reingold. I'm predicting the former, because it appears the latter is actually a play.

Have you ever considered becoming a mystery writer, Jess?

Quote:
I'm reading The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen. I'm 25% in. Good book.
I can definitely see how this would be much lighter reading than that last dark and dreary one....

I'm back on "Unaccustomed Earth," by Jhumpa Lahiri. These stories are less Indian, and more personality-driven, if that makes any sense. It seems to me that she's blossomed as a writer and moving beyond her cultural heritage into her amazing perspective of the human condition beyond culture. This particular story I am reading touches on a young man's developed passion for alcohol. It makes me mentally "queasy." I don't want to read happen what I think is going to happen. I'd say that makes Lahiri fairly accomplished in her characterization and plot, considering it's a short story I am only a couple of pages into....

Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:

I can definitely see how this would be much lighter reading than that last dark and dreary one....

I'm back on "Unaccustomed Earth," by Jhumpa Lahiri. These stories are less Indian, and more personality-driven, if that makes any sense. It seems to me that she's blossomed as a writer and moving beyond her cultural heritage into her amazing perspective of the human condition beyond culture. This particular story I am reading touches on a young man's developed passion for alcohol. It makes me mentally "queasy." I don't want to read happen what I think is going to happen. I'd say that makes Lahiri fairly accomplished in her characterization and plot, considering it's a short story I am only a couple of pages into....
Ha! You're right. But -- and how can I explain this (and without an excessive use of the Em Dash ) -- the writing itself is lighter. There's a sad story that creates the grief, but the writing is not oppressive. I guess, really, it's the tone. I seem to read books in a certain voice. For instance, How to Read the Air and the first few pages of My Name is Asher Lev, I read in a slow, heavy voice. This one is -- the only word I can use -- lighter.

I'm so glad that you're enjoying this Lahiri book. If I re-read any books, I'd re-read hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books