Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Reputation: 28903

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I hope I am done reading the current work by then. It seems to take me forever these days to read a book!
Welcome to the club, sister!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Reputation: 62766
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I hope I am done reading the current work by then. It seems to take me forever these days to read a book!
Thank you, thank you. I've been having the same problem. I usually get through a book quickly and for the last month I seem to be dragging my feet and it takes me so much time to finish one. Somehow it helps to know others are experiencing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thank you, thank you. I've been having the same problem. I usually get through a book quickly and for the last month I seem to be dragging my feet and it takes me so much time to finish one. Somehow it helps to know others are experiencing the same thing.
So funny! I was going to write -- I did, actually, and then deleted it -- that it's too bad that we don't have speedy-reader Ketabcha in the club. But apparently we do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Somehow it helps to know others are experiencing the same thing.
Trust me, girlfriend, in a planet of this many people, you are never experiencing a unique experience -- EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Reputation: 28903
Well, I've got to say that The Grief of Others was quite a good book. Sad, yes, in many ways. But heartwarming, too.

I don't like to start another book on the same day that I finish one, and I won't be able to read tomorrow, but I think the next one that I'll start is The Absolutist by John Boyne, either tomorrow night or on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Well, I've got to say that The Grief of Others was quite a good book. Sad, yes, in many ways. But heartwarming, too.

I don't like to start another book on the same day that I finish one, and I won't be able to read tomorrow, but ....
How do you DO that?! You just started it yesterday! Did you take a speed reading course?

Even if I am not doing anything else I cannot read as fast as you do.

You are not doing "cliff notes" are you?

Heck, you might as well start the next one, you'll be done before dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
How do you DO that?! You just started it yesterday! Did you take a speed reading course?

Even if I am not doing anything else I cannot read as fast as you do.

You are not doing "cliff notes" are you?

Heck, you might as well start the next one, you'll be done before dinner!
I'm pretty sure that I started it the day before yesterday (no?) but, really, I stop and start, stop and start, stop and start. Except today, I spent a lot of time just reading. Just that... reading. I'm really not a quick reader, I don't think. But I'll tell you my best secret to quicker reading: the Kindle. I find that paper books take me much longer to read than those on the Kindle. I find that, when reading a paper book, every time I go to the next page, I have to readjust my entire body. I also find the actual turning of the page much quicker on the Kindle. And, also, I can't fan the pages, smell the pages, skim back and forth (as easily on the Kindle), so I just sit and read. But, truthfully, with all my stops and starts, starts and stops, I don't think I'm that quick.

Another thing: I'm not a *careful* reader. I don't often luxuriate in the words, or go back and re-read a paragraph that I loved. As far as being not so careful, I often have to go back and remind myself of character names that I lost along the way. I'm definitely not a speed reader, but I'm also not a very careful or thoughtful reader either, most times.

PS. I did read the first few pages of The Absolutist already, I'll admit it. But we're watching a movie tonight -- The Artist -- so I know that I won't devote much more time to the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Reputation: 14770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm pretty sure that I started it the day before yesterday (no?) but, really,... my best secret to quicker reading: the Kindle. ... I can't fan the pages, smell the pages, skim back and forth (as easily on the Kindle), so I just sit and read. .... Another thing: ... I'm also not a very careful or thoughtful reader either, most times...
That explains it -- it's a Kindle thing! Myself, I don't seem to care for ours. I always have to look for the next page buttons -- every time! Maybe it is my aversion to gadgets... I'm actually thinking of moving to a secluded cabin in some God-foresaken part of the world with no electricity, running water, or paved roads... to avoid the danged things! (Well, not too seriously, but I do think about it!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 04:45 PM
 
3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
She does have a new book coming out... "soon"-ish. She just seems to take her sweet time. I had posted about it here. Maybe there's an official release date now, though -- I'll have to look into that.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/books...oming-out.html
Thanks! I can't wait. Another book to look forward to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm actually thinking of moving to a secluded cabin in some God-foresaken part of the world with no electricity, running water, or paved roads... to avoid the danged things! (Well, not too seriously, but I do think about it!)
Mayberry?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top