Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

I tried to do a reread of Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I remember being completely wowed by it when it first came out but this time I was bored and basically skipped through the last 25%. Not sure what's changed, but it must be me. I'm thinking that maybe I've been spoiled by all the YA literature I've read in the past few years, but it just seemed to move really, really slowly. I also found myself disturbed by the fact that the protagonist started a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl when he was an old man and also raped at least one woman, both of whom were portrayed as enjoying their situations. And he remained a very sympathetic character. I don't have to like characters in order to enjoy a story, but it was just such a macho point of view that I found it off-putting.

Now I'm reading True Grit by Charles Portis and enjoying it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. It's not as consistently laugh-out-loud funny as reviews have stated, but I'm enjoying it very much.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Thanks to suggestions here I started People Who Eat Darkness and am totally enthralled by it. I started it yesterday and am at about page 140 ish. Very very very good read.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Thanks to suggestions here I started People Who Eat Darkness and am totally enthralled by it. I started it yesterday and am at about page 140 ish. Very very very good read.
Another one to add to my list...

I'm not a fan of true crime books at all, but because so many of you are talking about this book, I feel compelled to try it.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I finished the Terry Prachett book, The Long Earth. It was exactly what I needed after a slew of slow books. And then because I wasn't quite up to another slow book, I read Dean Koontz' Odd Apocalypse. It might have been me, but I found the book scary, which I hadn't been finding in Koontz' books for quite a while. The dog barked in the middle of the night, while I was reading and I jumped a foot off the couch.

And now I'm reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin. The blurbs in the back of the book praise it but I noticed one of the praisers is Brent Weeks and I think I checked out one of his books once and didn't care for it.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Hi, C-D friends. I came out here to tell you that because of all of your favorable reports, I've taken over DH's (unused) Kindle, and have to admit it does have it's advantages. And I am finally getting into "The Tiger's Wife" -- so that's two good things.

On the downside: for weeks, every time I've opened this thread, I get a caution that there is a malicious site attached to it, and I proceed anyway. Well, the last two times I've done so (including this one), Norton has informed me that they've blocked a malicious intruder to my computer. I don't know what's going on, but I am thinking I need to stop coming here. Sorry. But I do everything on this laptop and cannot take the risk.

I am de-camping to Goodreads. I would love to stay here, but... well, just cannot. I miss you all, already. Please send me a dm if you would like to stop in at Goodreads, and I will give you my user id. Or, maybe I will see you on another C-D thread?

I've really loved it here. Happy reading!

Deb

Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Hi, C-D friends. I came out here to tell you that because of all of your favorable reports, I've taken over DH's (unused) Kindle, and have to admit it does have it's advantages. And I am finally getting into "The Tiger's Wife" -- so that's two good things.

On the downside: for weeks, every time I've opened this thread, I get a caution that there is a malicious site attached to it, and I proceed anyway. Well, the last two times I've done so (including this one), Norton has informed me that they've blocked a malicious intruder to my computer. I don't know what's going on, but I am thinking I need to stop coming here. Sorry. But I do everything on this laptop and cannot take the risk.

I am de-camping to Goodreads. I would love to stay here, but... well, just cannot. I miss you all, already. Please send me a dm if you would like to stop in at Goodreads, and I will give you my user id. Or, maybe I will see you on another C-D thread?

I've really loved it here. Happy reading!

Deb
Nooooooooooooo!!!! You can't leave us! (I'm writing this half-knowing that you're not even going to see this post.)

I don't get that message that you're talking about and, if I ever "lost" my laptop, I'd be dead in the water. I use this laptop for everything, including WORK. So, if it were gone, my work would be gone too.

PLEASE DON'T LEAVE HERE, DEB!!!

I'm going to send you email now.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
wow oh no deb is leaving yuck I dont get that msg either I wonder what is going on ? well anyways Im currently reading the sandcastle girls by one of my fave authors chris bohjalian and also reading the aviary by katherine o dell . so far both are really good and hope to finish both of them up real soon . then I am on to the ballad of tom dooley .I hope that is good as well supposed to be a true story . I remember the song tom dooley by someone back in the 60s and 70s . I loved the song I hope I love the book . well take care all and stay cool and safe .

Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Okay, thanks to my new hero YAC, senior moderator, they've found the culprit and eliminated it. (Whew!) So I believe this is safe territory for me, again. (Thanks, Dawn, for suggesting I go to that forum!)

Deb 8)

Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Okay, thanks to my new hero YAC, senior moderator, they've found the culprit and eliminated it. (Whew!) So I believe this is safe territory for me, again. (Thanks, Dawn, for suggesting I go to that forum!)

Deb 8)
YAY!!!!! She's baaaaaaccckkk!!!

I wasn't letting go of you so easily, Deb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books