Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times

Advertisements

I'm reading "Thr3e" by Ted Dekker.

I have been trying for more than a week to read "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" but I am having a miserable time of it. It just isn't grabbing me at all like the other two did. I want to know what happens, but I just don't want to sit and read all the stuff that I just don't care about in these books. Too much info that makes me feel like I'm reading the words but retaining none of it because it's not at all interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
I've been in a slump after reading True Grit, which I loved. Picked up and put down The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and The Shadow of the Wind. Started Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, but my mind was wandering. Stopped at the library and picked up The Dog of the South by Charles Portis (author of True Grit) and also a volume with three of James Hilton's books: Lost Horizon, Goodbye Mr. Chips and Random Harvest. Hilton was recommended above. Anyway, looking forward to them.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I got 60% into "The Tiger's Wife," but when her husband starts beating and kicking the crap out of her -- that's it. I don't read violence. End of story.

I've got three others on the Kindle. Maybe I will just play freecell on my laptop for awhile....

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I came across an interesting book called Wingshooters by Nina Revoyr, but I'm on the library's Kindle wait list for it. It turns out that she wrote another book that interested me -- The Age of Dreaming -- which was described as being written in the same quiet style of The Remains of the Day, which I loved.

So I downloaded The Age of Dreaming onto my Kindle, and we shall be on our merry way. I read just a few pages and, although the story really hasn't begun yet, I am enjoying the calm tone of it.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
...I am enjoying the calm tone of it.
Calm is good. Maybe it's just finishing the Summer Qtr classes, but I am totally in need of calming right now!

There's a knitting story on my Kindle... that might be the next read....

Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Just finished the absolute worst book I've ever read, Wicked The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of The West by Gregory Maguire Hated it so much I no longer have the desire to see the play

Just started Buried Prey by John Sandford

Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished the absolute worst book I've ever read, Wicked The Life & Times of the Wicked Witch of The West by Gregory Maguire Hated it so much I no longer have the desire to see the play

My sister and I read that and both hated it too. Tried so hard to give it away but it kept coming back to us. I think I finally got our cousin to give it to her friend. Awful book!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

Just started Buried Prey by John Sandford
Wow, and I was going to read it! Thanks for letting me know!

DH loves Sanford, and I told him I wanted to read him after reading so many happy readers of his works here. He was dubious, knowing how I feel about violence. (I know a book needs to refer to it, I just don't like reading the gruesome details.)

Let me know after you've read it what you think, okay?

For me, I left off reading until bedtime last night, and then picked up "Born in Tibet" by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpochet. He was my favorite Bhuddist author (Pema Chodron)'s guru, and this is the story of his life. As all Tibetans, he believes in reincarnation, and was considered the eleventh in the teaching lineage known as the Trungpa tulkus. Last night I read about his reincarnation, and the history of his lineage. I don't know that I necessarily buy into the concept, but I respect others' beliefs and it was interesting.

Have a nice day, all.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I finished reading the self-published family history of my sister's ex-boyfriend's family. (Wow. What a mangled sentence). Lots of typos that had me wanting to take out a red pencil but I resisted the temptation. It doesn't bother me that much in a family history and the family did have an interesting life in Africa.

And now I'm reading two books - One is called The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan, an Australian writer. I bought it on sale for a few bucks months ago and now feel compelled to at least try to read it. It is a prequel to a series she has written and maybe I would like it more if I had read the series. It is only okay so far - nothing exceptional about the story or the language.

The other is Rez Life by David Treuer and my spirits immediately picked up when I saw the quality of the language. It's going to be a challenge finishing the other book because the level of language is so much better in this book.

Rez Life is non-fiction. Treuer is a Native American who is a professor of literature and creative writing at USC with a number of articles in Esquire, The Washington Post, etc, to his credit.

I think I'm going to like it more than Life on the Rez by Frazier. As a Native American, Treuer offers a better insight into life on a reservation.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
So I downloaded The Age of Dreaming onto my Kindle, and we shall be on our merry way. I read just a few pages and, although the story really hasn't begun yet, I am enjoying the calm tone of it.
I had such high hopes but, apparently, if you don't care about the silent film industry and if you can't keep track of Japanese names, calm writing can't keep you interested. I got to 45% and thought, "You have 57 other unread books on your Kindle, Dawn. Give it up."

I'm not going to read tonight, though. I got a movie in the mail. There's an old (well, from 1989) mini-series that I saw when it was on TV when it came out. I loved it. It's a BBC film called Mother Love. It was on for four consecutive nights (or weeks? I don't remember), for an hour each. I remember hating the wait because the movie was so good. I even remember a scene where Diana Rigg, in a flashback to when she was a child, made little cakes for her "friend" who she hated. They were poisoned. ANYway! After all these years (holy crap! 23 years!), I finally found a copy and bought it. It was ridiculously expensive but I wanted it so badly. I only hope that it's as good as I remember. Yes, yes, it has to be. It got 8.5 on IMDB.

(Now that I wrote that whole long paragraph, I hope that I do end up watching some of it tonight and not doing something silly like fall asleep or watch the Kardashians. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books