Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,663,934 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone who hated Wicked. I thought it was awful.

I finished Dog of the South by Charles Portis. He's like a cross between Hunter S. Thompson and Mark Twain. The book was published in the late 60's and it's a road trip story through Mexico and Belize. I really enjoyed it. I also found another book by him, Norwood, at a thrift store and am looking forward to it.

I also read I'm Not the New Me by Wendy McClure. It's a memoir about a young woman and her struggle with weight issues. It's really more than that, but hard to describe. I think most women and many men can relate to the things she writes about. Plus she's funny and a very good writer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,781,888 times
Just finished "Mating" by Norman Rush. Absolutely astounding book. Not for the casual reader or a speed-reader who wants to just follow a plot. Rush breaks a lot of rules, and wins literary prizes.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
I really like survival books these days. I found one for my Kindle titled Obliterated: Would you know how to survive? by C J Hall. It's $2.99.

What I really like about this book and what is different about it is the fact that the main characters run into other survivors and 99% of the survivors are really good, caring folks. It's not bloody but really does answer the question asked in the book's title. It helps us realize what is really important when it comes to things that will save our lives.

This is no major work of literature but the story is solid and not at all mean-spirited. The editing is quite good. I really appreciate the fact that the author knows the difference between "then" and "than." LOL. I find myself being drawn back to it during the day and I started it just yesterday. I'm 88% through it and already dreading the last page. I want it to continue. It actually gives me the warm fuzzies just reading about mankind's ability to be kind and unselfish.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM

758 posts, read 1,635,729 times
I'm currently reading The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. It's a bit slow at times, but still very interesting. I'm guessing that I'm going to have start reading more on FLDS.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I really like survival books these days. I found one for my Kindle titled Obliterated: Would you know how to survive? by C J Hall. It's $2.99.

What I really like about this book and what is different about it is the fact that the main characters run into other survivors and 99% of the survivors are really good, caring folks. It's not bloody but really does answer the question asked in the book's title. It helps us realize what is really important when it comes to things that will save our lives.

This is no major work of literature but the story is solid and not at all mean-spirited. The editing is quite good. I really appreciate the fact that the author knows the difference between "then" and "than." LOL. I find myself being drawn back to it during the day and I started it just yesterday. I'm 88% through it and already dreading the last page. I want it to continue. It actually gives me the warm fuzzies just reading about mankind's ability to be kind and unselfish.
I just used up my 24 hours of reppies, K, so I am just going to say how much I enjoy it when a reader says why they like a book. AND: I, too, like authors that are obviously NOT mean spirited, because their characters are not, and they are not treated meanly.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I'm currently reading The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. It's a bit slow at times, but still very interesting. I'm guessing that I'm going to have start reading more on FLDS.
I don't know what the FLDS is, but I was pretty overwhelmed by someone having had 19 wives... why on earth would any sane woman marry someone with 18 wives?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,273,145 times
Quote:
It's a very good book - Ebershoft's other books are better though, imo.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I just used up my 24 hours of reppies, K, so I am just going to say how much I enjoy it when a reader says why they like a book. AND: I, too, like authors that are obviously NOT mean spirited, because their characters are not, and they are not treated meanly.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't know what the FLDS is, but I was pretty overwhelmed by someone having had 19 wives... why on earth would any sane woman marry someone with 18 wives?
The FLDS is the Mormon off-shoot that believes in having many wives as opposed to the 'official' Mormons who have only one wife.

But The 19th Wife is about the founding of Mormonism, the Latter Day Saints and it is supposed to be pretty accurate in the historical sense.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Well, I have suddenly lost interest in everything I'm reading. Bummer. I don't even feel motivated to look for anything else.

Maybe that's a good thing because I have hay to take into the barn - which I don't feel like doing either. If I didn't have animals to take care of, and if I hadn't had too many people show up early in the morning, I don't think I would have left the bed. When I was young, my mom would talk about "getting out of the wrong side of the bed" and I would look at my bed - which was against a wall - and wonder how I could try getting out of the right side of the bed, if that would make my day start right.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,273,111 times
Quote:
A couple of books you might want to start with are:

Escape by Carolyn Jessup
Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

Those two are recent books. I also have a list of much older autobiographies written my women in the FLDS. What was interesting, among other things, is that I would buy 2 or 3 of the books written by different women and then find they, at one time, were married to the same guy.

First, though, google Warren Jeffs.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,523,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The FLDS is the Mormon off-shoot that believes in having many wives as opposed to the 'official' Mormons who have only one wife.

But The 19th Wife is about the founding of Mormonism, the Latter Day Saints and it is supposed to be pretty accurate in the historical sense.
Okay, got it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
When I was young, my mom would talk about "getting out of the wrong side of the bed" and I would look at my bed - which was against a wall - and wonder how I could try getting out of the right side of the bed, if that would make my day start right.
Same here! My bed wasn't against the wall, but my mom would say SHE got up on the wrong side, and I would wonder why she didn't just go back to bed and switch over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
A couple of books you might want to start with are:
Escape by Carolyn Jessup
Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

Those two are recent books. I also have a list of much older autobiographies written my women in the FLDS. What was interesting, among other things, is that I would buy 2 or 3 of the books written by different women and then find they, at one time, were married to the same guy.

First, though, google Warren Jeffs.
I lived on Beaver Island, MI for 1.5 years, from eleven to nearly 13. It had a history of being settled by a splinter group from the Mormon's trip to Utah, led by James Strang, how called himself a king. King Strang was reported as acquiring young wives by "baptizing their young husbands in Lake Michigan, and "accidently" holding them under too long.

Beaver Island (Lake Michigan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books