Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM

13,499 posts, read 18,056,071 times

Advertisements

Just started Nella Larsen's book Passing.
Passing (Modern Library): Amazon.co.uk: Nella Larsen: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Maybe we'll read it at the same time, if you can wait for my number to come up.

By the way, I saw this the other day, meant to email you about it, and then -- yeah! -- forgot.

I figured you'd get a kick out of this.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Jane Austen,Seth Grahame-Smith: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Yeah, I've seen it. There is also one titled Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Those books are actually getting some good reviews from folks who like that genre. LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yes. I'd been waiting and waiting for Death Comes to Pemberly ( PD James) thinking it was the next Adam Dalgleish mystery. When I finally got the book ~ there were 181 persons ahead of me when I requested it .~ only then did I find it wasn't in the same series!

Still haven't quite gotten over that one. I wonder if PD James has finished with that character? Anyone reading this thread know? (I confess I haven't read the whole thread. . .)

One doesn't know how long she'll be able to continue writing.
I like P. D. James too - I've read "The Murder Room," "Death in Holy Orders," and "Death of an Expert Witness" (my favorite) in the Adam Dalgliesh series, and "The Children of Men." Her last Adam Dalgliesh, "The Private Patient," was written in 2008. "Death Comes to Pemberly" was written in 2011. She is 92 years old, I am shocked that she is still writing, that is soooooo cool.

BTW, if you didn't know, Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books were also made into a BBC series that ran from 2001 to 2008. I get the DVDs from my library - it's a really good show, I love the lead characters.

Long time since I posted here, probably because I have been having trouble getting into reading lately. I've only read two and a half books in the last month or so.

I finished "Shades of Grey" by Jasper Fforde, which was a fun, quirky and highly imaginative book. It's set in a post-apocalyptic world where people have lost their ability to see multiple colors, and people are grouped based on their color perception. The "greys" see no color, the "reds" see red, greens see "green", etc. They are further separated into who sees the highest percentage of their own color - the people with the highest percentage are the top of the hierarchy, down to the greys who are the peasants/slaves. I found it difficult to follow through the first part of the book, but gradually Fforde pulled most of the lose strings together, and I ended up really enjoying the story and characters and anxiously await the next in the series.

Following that, based on recommendations here, I read "The Grief of Others" by Leah Hager Cohen. I was very moved by this book and the characters, and found myself crying in parts. Some of it mirrored something in my own life, so it was a bit painful to read also, but I thought it was really well-done it its ability to show the damage caused by the death of a family member and a family's inability to deal with it.

I am about 2/3s of the way through "City of Thieves" by David Benioff, and am really enjoying it.

As always, thanks for all the reviews and suggestions here, it helps me a lot.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,464,984 times
Just starting "The Rich Man's Table", by Scott Spencer. I loved his "Man in the
woods", a very, very good read, highly recommended..

Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post

Following that, based on recommendations here, I read "The Grief of Others" by Leah Hager Cohen. I was very moved by this book and the characters, and found myself crying in parts. Some of it mirrored something in my own life, so it was a bit painful to read also, but I thought it was really well-done it its ability to show the damage caused by the death of a family member and a family's inability to deal with it.
Ditto on the mirroring aspect here, too. I didn't think that I'd like this book at all -- I felt that it would be too mainstream for me -- but for some reason I kept getting pulled back into thinking, "I should read this book. I really should read this." I agree that it was a very moving book. I also felt that the characters -- all of them -- were very well drawn and that I understood each of them.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Yes. I'd been waiting and waiting for Death Comes to Pemberly ( PD James) thinking it was the next Adam Dalgleish mystery. When I finally got the book ~ there were 181 persons ahead of me when I requested it .~ only then did I find it wasn't in the same series!

Still haven't quite gotten over that one. I wonder if PD James has finished with that character? Anyone reading this thread know? (I confess I haven't read the whole thread. . .)

One doesn't know how long she'll be able to continue writing.
I am reading "Death Comes to Pemberly" now, but I'm having trouble staying with it. I keep finding other things to do. My great uncle introduced me to PD James decades ago, but I've read more of the Dalgleish series than her other works. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I learned PD was a woman!

According to this reviewer, it was questionable whether there would be another following the publication of "The Private Patient" (2008). This is one series I did NOT read in order, and I've lost track of it over the years -- I've no idea where I left it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I just finished The Tea-Olive Bird Watching Society and really liked it. It's a combination of Miss Marple and Fried Green Tomatoes At the Whistle Stop Cafe. It was a fast read. I only started it yesterday and finished it this morning. It's funny and also upsetting in places but I enjoyed it so much.
I love all those books -- so now I have ANOTHER title To-Read on my list. (At this rate I will die before the list is finished! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Did you ever finish Gone Girl? I'm something like #125 on the library wait list for the Kindle. I'd like to hear your opinion, if the wait will be worth it.
You could always watch the movie.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,334,181 times
Well, I am enjoying Ella Minnow Pea (started it today, am just about halfway through)-- such a delight and of course I never would have known of it if not for this forum. It reminds me a bit of course of the Guernsey Literary.... but ALSO reminds me of London, London which I ALSO found on these forums.(thanks)I think that Tea Olive one sounds like it might be calling my name next. I got a recommendation from the library for MRS ROBINSON'S DISGRACE by Kate Summserscales.so will be picking that one up shortly.Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady: Kate Summerscale: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM

220 posts, read 280,036 times
After a slooooooooooow start, I finally finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. It didn't really pick up until about pg 200 in the mass market paperback version, but I did enjoy it after all the action started.

I had the exact opposite experience with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, which I am currently reading. I got through 100+ pages of the hardback version on the first day of reading. I'm looking forward to see how this trilogy ends.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:29 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,646,929 times
I'm about halfway through "Tigers In Red Weather" by Liza Klaussmann. I love it! The author is the great-great-great-granddaughter of Herman Melville. Very gifted writer, imho.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,836,561 times
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow', finally finishing the series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books