Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,473,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I can't decide whether to go light or heavy
I think light... from what I gather from the description of Gone Girl, it will be heavy enough... I don't like two heavies back to back... it puts me off balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think light... from what I gather from the description of Gone Girl, it will be heavy enough... I don't like two heavies back to back... it puts me off balance.
Actually, there are more than 100 people before me on the wait list for Gone Girl, so I have time. LOL!

But I just read the first 5 or 6 pages of Before I Go to Sleep... and I'm done. It's just not my type of book at all. I already know, this early, that it's far-fetched and ridiculous, and that her husband must have some part in this amnesia.

I like books that are character-driven and that have plot lines that *could* be real. Before I Go to Sleep is not for me. I'm not saying that a million other people wouldn't love it -- but it's just not my type of read.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
...I already know, this early, that it's far-fetched and ridiculous, and that her husband must have some part in this amnesia.

I like books that are character-driven and that have plot lines that *could* be real. Before I Go to Sleep is not for me. I'm not saying that a million other people wouldn't love it -- but it's just not my type of read.
Yes, being far-fetched -- or characters doing things I would look at as incredibly stupid would be a book's "kiss of death" for me. Even if I know it could be real, the outcome would be too predictable -- I like getting hooked by a plot involving characters I can understand, and with enough "mystery" that I want to see how things end up.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I finally finished The Magician's Apprentice, which I didn't particularly enjoy at all, and started on Wild by Cheryl Strayed last night. I've wanted to read it since I read a review of it in the local paper. I am still not finished Rez Life, but the two books are different enough that I'm comfortable switching.
Did Cheryl really stray? I had heard that about her but didn't want to believe it.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Did Cheryl really stray? I had heard that about her but didn't want to believe it.
That was a real knee-slapper!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM

7,216 posts, read 9,173,334 times
Quote:
It's always a little funny-strange when people's names in someway, positive or not, reflect some aspect of their lives.

A friend of ours, a pastor, remarried a few years ago and he likes to think of himself as very liberal so I suggested he take his wife's last name. He said it wasn't that he wouldn't do that, but he wouldn't do that because her last name was Pain. 'Pastor Pain.' Hmmm. Has a ring to it.

Off to walk the puppy before the storm hits.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,167,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's always a little funny-strange when people's names in someway, positive or not, reflect some aspect of their lives.

A friend of ours, a pastor, remarried a few years ago and he likes to think of himself as very liberal so I suggested he take his wife's last name. He said it wasn't that he wouldn't do that, but he wouldn't do that because her last name was Pain. 'Pastor Pain.' Hmmm. Has a ring to it.

Off to walk the puppy before the storm hits.
Our family doctor when I was a kid was Dr. Payne.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
I'm trying to read Gone Girl again. The last time I tried I got through 7% of it. This time I've made it to 17% and I just can't go on.

This book is so heavy that I feel like I have been tied to an anchor that is sinking into the ocean. I simply cannot stand it.

The writing is wonderful and the author really has delivered a good character study. I guess it is just not for me. It makes me very sad.

So I am saying goodbye to Gone Girl and this time I really mean it.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Quote:
I'm trying to read Gone Girl again. The last time I tried I got through 7% of it. This time I've made it to 17% and I just can't go on.

This book is so heavy that I feel like I have been tied to an anchor that is sinking into the ocean. I simply cannot stand it.

The writing is wonderful and the author really has delivered a good character study. I guess it is just not for me. It makes me very sad.

So I am saying goodbye to Gone Girl and this time I really mean it.
Rut roh! I'm not sure how that bodes for me, then.

Well, considering that there are 101 people (with 23 copies, though) who have to read it before I get my mitts on it, I have time. And the better news is that I'm becoming more and more forgetful (YAY for being 47! ), so I very well might not remember your dislike of it, so that it won't tarnish my experience.

All that said, I know it's a suspense/thriller novel. I don't like thrillers. I don't find them thrilling -- I find them predictable and/or far-fetched. THAT certainly doesn't bode well for me liking this book.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-24-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to read Gone Girl again. ...This book is so heavy that I feel like I have been tied to an anchor that is sinking into the ocean. I simply cannot stand it.
Yeah, that's how I felt after just reading the description. I know there are lots of bad things that happen in the world, but I just cannot feed myself on that diet, anymore. I used to think we had to KNOW about these things in order to be able to change them. That was my youthful optimism. Now I know that bad things happen and always will. I just try to stay clear of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books