Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Reputation: 62765

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Rut roh! I'm not sure how that bodes for me, then.

Well, considering that there are 101 people (with 23 copies, though) who have to read it before I get my mitts on it, I have time. And the better news is that I'm becoming more and more forgetful (YAY for being 47! ), so I very well might not remember your dislike of it, so that it won't tarnish my experience.

All that said, I know it's a suspense/thriller novel. I don't like thrillers. I don't find them thrilling -- I find them predictable and/or far-fetched. THAT certainly doesn't bode well for me liking this book.
Don't let my dislike of it color your plans to read it, Dawn. I'm not sure if it is because of my mood these days. I remember not liking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when I first started it and it turned out to be a great book. I think it is just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Don't let my dislike of it color your plans to read it, Dawn. I'm not sure if it is because of my mood these days. I remember not liking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when I first started it and it turned out to be a great book. I think it is just me.
Well, I'd never even think of reading The Girl With the... Totally not my style.
But you're right. I loved Stoner. You didn't even finish it.
But, wait. I still don't like thrillers and suspense stories. HA!
I doubt that I'll like Gone Girl -- it's just not my thing. I'll try it, but I'm pretty sure that I won't finish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Reputation: 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I doubt that I'll like Gone Girl -- it's just not my thing. I'll try it, but I'm pretty sure that I won't finish it.
Who knows, after waiting as long as you will, your tastes might change completely by then and you will love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Who knows, after waiting as long as you will, your tastes might change completely by then and you will love it!
Well, senility DOES seem to be kicking in (hard!) for me these days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM
 
3,943 posts, read 6,341,477 times
Reputation: 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Well, I'd never even think of reading The Girl With the... Totally not my style.
But you're right. I loved Stoner. You didn't even finish it.
But, wait. I still don't like thrillers and suspense stories. HA!
I doubt that I'll like Gone Girl -- it's just not my thing. I'll try it, but I'm pretty sure that I won't finish it.
I loved it, and I don't like thrillers and suspense stories either. I got tired of the same story, different names. I heard so much about this one, is the reason I broke down and read it. I thought the writing was very good. She has 2 more out, but Im not sure I care about reading them. Nah, I don't think I do... If anyone has read them, I'd love to hear their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Reputation: 9783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm trying to read Gone Girl again. The last time I tried I got through 7% of it. This time I've made it to 17% and I just can't go on.

This book is so heavy that I feel like I have been tied to an anchor that is sinking into the ocean. I simply cannot stand it.

The writing is wonderful and the author really has delivered a good character study. I guess it is just not for me. It makes me very sad.

So I am saying goodbye to Gone Girl and this time I really mean it.
I picked up the the book in a bookstore and scanned the blurb and felt is was not for me. Just reading the back of the book made me feel like sinking into a huge depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Canada
7,224 posts, read 9,177,920 times
Reputation: 9783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Did Cheryl really stray? I had heard that about her but didn't want to believe it.
I'm far enough along in the book to tell you Cheryl did indeed stray. Quite a bit. She therefore officially changed her name to Strayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 32,809,592 times
Reputation: 28897
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm far enough along in the book to tell you Cheryl did indeed stray. Quite a bit. She therefore officially changed her name to Strayed.
Oh, please, don't egg her on!

ETA: I'm whispering this quietly because I'm not quite sure that she wants it known: "Happy birthday, Ketabcha!"

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-24-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,893 posts, read 18,175,929 times
Reputation: 62765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh, please, don't egg her on!

ETA: I'm whispering this quietly because I'm not quite sure that she wants it known: "Happy birthday, Ketabcha!"
Thank you, Dawn. As you know I am having a great time spending my birthday money on books for Boris and me.

Netwit, thanks for keeping me updated on Cheryl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
 
9,229 posts, read 8,476,031 times
Reputation: 14764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Thank you, Dawn. As you know I am having a great time spending my birthday money on books for Boris and me.
Oh sure, sneak up on us until it's too late to have a party! Well, surprise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top