Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,339,591 times

Advertisements

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY KETEBACHA!!! Did you do anything fun and exciting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 03:46 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,658,146 times
I'm currently reading the third book in "The Last Survivors" (Young Adult) post-apocalyptic series by Susan Beth Pfeffer - this installment is called This World we Live in, and parts 1/2 are titled Life as we Knew it and The Dead & the Gone respectively. Unfortunately they seem to get worse with each book, the first being by FAR the best, but it's still an interesting enough story to keep going until the end. She's already writing a fourth installment, and I'll probably get suckered into reading that one too.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,171,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm currently reading the third book in "The Last Survivors" (Young Adult) post-apocalyptic series by Susan Beth Pfeffer - this installment is called This World we Live in, and parts 1/2 are titled Life as we Knew it and The Dead & the Gone respectively. Unfortunately they seem to get worse with each book, the first being by FAR the best, but it's still an interesting enough story to keep going until the end. She's already writing a fourth installment, and I'll probably get suckered into reading that one too.
I like the series, too, Gizmo980. And yes, I'll buy the 4th.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM

7,216 posts, read 9,173,334 times
Well, I finished Wild by Cheryl Strayed (she did, she did, oh yes she did stray) at 4:30 am last night so I guess it was pretty good. I was debating to myself whether, if I were her, I would want all my straying information out there. I could totally relate to the depth of her grief, in her case, over the loss of her mother, which is kind of what drove her out to the Pacific trail.

And there was a 'have-to-put-down-a-horse' scene that made me shudder. I actually would rather not have read that part at all if I had known it was coming.

Still have Rez Life to finish.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:46 PM

4,693 posts, read 4,330,390 times
Just finished Ella Minnow Pea and really enjoyed it. If not for this forum I would never have known about that one. I am honestly surprised that it is not menitoned more outside of this forum- so so unique.
I just started Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace -The private diary of a victorian lady- by Kate Summerscale. It is a new book, and was on a library suggested reading list. I reserved it, and just picked it up yesterday. I had no clue but it is actually non-fiction; I am on page 30 and apparenty it is the story of the first civil divorce in England...( I think that is accurate.. very good characterization of the daily life and such. I am enjoying it so far.
Amazon.com: Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady (9781608199136): Kate Summerscale: Books

Old 08-26-2012, 01:26 PM

7,216 posts, read 9,173,334 times
Finished Rez Life by David Treuer at 4:30am last night - there's a pattern developing with 4:30 am but I don't know what that means.

Of the rez books I've read recently, this is many ways is the most informative. What's interesting is that the writer's mother is Native American and there was a reference in the beginning of the book to his father being Jewish but he didn't really explore that. His mother is a judge and he grew up and still has a house on the reservation.

I think maybe Treuer has 'one foot in and one foot out' of the Native American culture, so there's a tendency (on my part anyway) to take what he has to say more seriously.

Interesting factoid - the Iroquois Confederacy declared war on Germany in 1917, and the Dakota and the Ojibwe joined them in declaring war on the Axis Powers during the second World War. He also says that the Iroquois still travel on their own tribally issued passports (even though the book is recent, I'm wondering if that is really the case since 9/11?)

It's not a quick read. At least it wasn't for me. But I'm glad I read it.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just started Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace -The private diary of a victorian lady- by Kate Summerscale. It is a new book, and was on a library suggested reading list. I reserved it, and just picked it up yesterday. I had no clue but it is actually non-fiction; I am on page 30 and apparenty it is the story of the first civil divorce in England...( I think that is accurate.. very good characterization of the daily life and such. I am enjoying it so far.
Amazon.com: Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady (9781608199136): Kate Summerscale: Books
I have this book on my Kindle. I'd like to hear how much you enjoyed it when you get a bit deeper into it. I've put off starting it a number of times, but I'm not sure why. (And now I have 73 other books to read...)

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,473,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Finished Rez Life by David Treuer at 4:30am last night - there's a pattern developing with 4:30 am but I don't know what that means.
Uh... if 4:30 am is your night, when is your morning? (I only ask because I wake at four am, so that's MY morning.)

Isn't it grand how different we all are, and still find common ground in reading?

Adding The Rez to my list....

Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,802,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Uh... if 4:30 am is your night, when is your morning? (I only ask because I wake at four am, so that's MY morning.)

Isn't it grand how different we all are, and still find common ground in reading?

Adding The Rez to my list....
Sadly, I also seem to be waking up at 4:00am these days, far worse than my usual still-too-early 5.00am. We should start an early-morning (or late-night for netwit) book club. And even if we don't always have the same taste in books, it won't matter -- it's too early (or late for netwit) to care or argue.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:49 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,167,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Interesting factoid - the Iroquois Confederacy declared war on Germany in 1917, and the Dakota and the Ojibwe joined them in declaring war on the Axis Powers during the second World War. He also says that the Iroquois still travel on their own tribally issued passports (even though the book is recent, I'm wondering if that is really the case since 9/11?)
That is really interesting, thanks for sharing that. Something like that simply wouldn't occur to me - must go read more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books