Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 08:21 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,044,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
lol, me too! clan of the cave bear is a paperback and has no covers and the pages are yellowed with age. i LOVE this series!

I heard that she was working on another book in the series. Don't know if it's true or not, but I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,550,400 times
I have just started "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts and so far I think it is absolutely wonderful, his writing style is just extraordinary, fluid, evocative and I suspect this might just become one of my favourite books.

There is a clarity of thought about him and his life just sounds amazing. I have just found a movie is being made about his odyssey and I am looking forward to it though I suspect nothing can approximate the sheer poetry of his prose.

It's a 1000 pages book, a real hefty tome, I started it late last night before bed and I am already of page 315 as I could not stop. A real gem of a book.

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Has anyone else read it and what did you think ?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:07 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Looks like a fascinating story--might have to check it out, Moose.
The 'stranger in a strange land' theme has long interested me.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,998,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Looks like a fascinating story--might have to check it out, Moose.
The 'stranger in a strange land' theme has long interested me.
yeah, that sounds really good.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:09 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,640,769 times
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Been looking forward to this one for a while. I hope it's good!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 PM

461 posts, read 1,446,197 times
I always read two books at a time (paperback to take to work and hardcover at home) I just finished The Green Mile by Steven King and Mine are Spectacular By Janice Kaplan and Lynn Schnurnberger today and started Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen and Spilling Clarence by Anne Ursu. Green Mile was amazing, of course, what a story! Mine are spectacular was fun, basically brain candy, but what's life without a little candy? I'll let you know about the other 2 since I'm only like 10 pages into each. I had to stop reading Anne Rice's Cry to Heaven last week, it was wayyyy too much for me.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,116,899 times
Love Clan of the Cave Bear. Just recently re-read it after years. The first sequel was good...mostly because you had to know what happened after. But couldn't care less about the others. I've been considering putting it on my (imaginary) "required" reading list (not that anyone cares!!).

Right now I am reading Atonement, because someone gave it to me. Uh, I'm half way through and totally un-invested. I'm guessing it will get better, since it is so popular??

Old 10-29-2008, 10:43 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,912,102 times
"Coroner's Journal: Forensices and the Art of Stalking Death", by Louis Cataldie, MD (former Louisiana State Medical Examiner).

I'm intrigued by this kind of stuff.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,597,609 times
Secret Life of Bees

Then on to An Irish Country Christmas

My DIL & grand daughter are after me to start the Twilight Series, but aren't those books geared to teens??

Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,398,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Love Clan of the Cave Bear. Just recently re-read it after years. The first sequel was good...mostly because you had to know what happened after. But couldn't care less about the others. I've been considering putting it on my (imaginary) "required" reading list (not that anyone cares!!).

Right now I am reading Atonement, because someone gave it to me. Uh, I'm half way through and totally un-invested. I'm guessing it will get better, since it is so popular??

I saw the movie and liked it a lot, but I tried reading the book a couple of years ago and just couldn't get "into" it....

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books